For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By morticiaskeeper
Sharpie wrote:People on tv who begin an answer to a question with "so" .....

And it seems to be getting worse, It appears to be the new 'er'.

Motorcycle racers hanging the inside leg out under braking. You say it's in case the front washes out, but we all know it's to discourage someone coming up the inside, just like wendyball players feigning injury - it's cheating.
By MercianMarcus
That builders never write down what you ask them to do and seem to accept, as perfectly normal, that they forget to do about a fifth of the work. And that, if you ask why they are not writing anything down, they look at you as if you asked them conjure up a magical, golden trowel.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MercianMarcus wrote:That builders never write down what you ask them to do and seem to accept, as perfectly normal, that they forget to do about a fifth of the work.

I asked 5 builders for quotes to build my extension. One never sent one back, 2 replied with quotes which hardly resembled what I actually asked for such that they could have been for something else entirely, only 2 actually quoted for approximately the work I asked them to do... :roll:
By PeteSpencer
The use of the word 'legacy' to disguise stuff that's out of date and nobody supports any more.

And probably cr ap.
By Steve D
Drivers at traffic lights and junctions who dither and then accelerate away slower than continental drift. You may save a teaspoonful of petrol, but if you are at the head of a traffic light queue, only move once the lights have been on green for several seconds and then ease glacially forward, some poor s0d further back won't get through when they would otherwise have done. Sometimes, that s0d is me, sometimes I'm just stuck in traffic because the flow is not as efficient as it could be. :evil:
Cowshed liked this
By Waveflyer
The driver causing the slow moving queue of traffic.

It's not the slow one at the front it's always the second one fannying about and waiting for a section of dual carriageway to appear over the horizon so that they can overtake.
Whilst behind them everybody else is snaking in and out and chomping at the bit itching to have a go. :furious: :furious: :furious:
By PeteSpencer
I drove from Bury St Eds to Kings Lynn last week.
After the A 11 Thetford bypass there are about three places where one can safely overtake in 35 miles and we were about no 12 in a procession behind 3 or 4 HGVs, a tractor or two and a caravan.

In my rear mirror I could see a BMW in a hurry pulling in and out and eventually passing the cars behind me one by one with accompanying headlamp flashing from oncoming traffic .

He flashed past me ( pers. number plate noted) and repeated the performance with multiple sudden brake lights from traffic ahead before I lost sight of him.

30 mins later as we pulled up to the A10/A47 roundabout traffic lights , to filter left for West Lynn, behold, same BMW with pers number plate alongside us in the long queue to go straight on into K Lynn:

Time saved by such driving? Zero minutes, Risks taked/angered fellow motorists ? probably dozens.

sometimes it's good to plod...... :wink:
ChampChump, flybymike liked this
By Flintstone
PeteSpencer wrote:30 mins later as we pulled up to the A10/A47 roundabout traffic lights , to filter left for West Lynn, behold, same BMW with pers number plate alongside us in the long queue to go straight on into K Lynn:

Time saved by such driving? Zero minutes,

Ah, but. Since overtaking you he's had time to go home, read War & Peace, paint the bedroom, get back on the road, stop to refuel and be there in time to meet you at the roundabout and stoke your blood pressure.

There's a special place in hell reserved for dodderers, especially those who sit at an indicated 50mph (so more like 45mph) in the outside lane on the motorway "because of those yellow camera thingies and you can all queue behind me". Well bog off and do 45 in lane one, nobody died and put you in charge.
skydriller, Rob P liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
But how far up *his* queue was he? If he's ahead of just one dodderer, that may mean the next part of his journey is a lot nicer than it otherwise would be.

But yes, in general I agree with you Pete, getting a few places ahead if the road isn't clear, is a waste of time, effort and fuel, and doing dangerous overtakes to get there is just crazy.

I also very much agree with Flint about the 45 mile an hourers in the roadworks, or indeed the 63 mile an hourers outside the roadworks. They just cause congestion and all sorts of traffic problems further back. I think of an abbreviation which they should do - PTFI. Where the first and last letters stand for "pull in". I don't actually shout it of course, just say it in my head...

The highway code is clear on this...you should be in the left hand lane unless overtaking, and when overtaking you should move swiftly past the other vehicle and pull back to your side. If only everyone did that.
By PeteSpencer
Flint/ P sen.

I don't count myself as a dodderer and in Sport mode the Krauto will go like Sh*t off a shovel, especially in the 70-100 range but I wouldn't dream of using it on the A134 Thetford-Mundford-Kings lynn except in the three places I alluded to.
The road is single lane each way with miles of 'no overtaking' hatching and 'hidden dips' through Thetford forest.
There's a world of difference between a dodderer and a user of common sense who is aware of a road's limitations. :roll:
IMHO the aforementioned BMW driver was nuts.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By stevelup
Setting aside the fact that all the nice NSL roads near me have been gradually changed to a 50mph limit for no apparent reason, my pet hate is this....

Getting stuck behind some complete cockwomble doing 35-40 mph for about 5 miles on the roads leading up to our village. Roads where the speed limit is either 50 or 60, and utterly impossible to safely overtake on, so you're stuck behind them.

Then, just to rub salt in the wound, the exact same womble-of-the-cock then steams through the village at the same 40mph (even managing to ignore a flashing 30 sign that they've just triggered), thus killing many kittens and puppies.

It's as if they only know one speed. Death by stoning is not strong enough.
By Steve D
flybymike wrote:Dodderers of the world unite! :evil: :rambo:

Yes, please do. Save us the bother of rounding them all up. Once we have them all where we can see them, we can put them somewhere they'll feel at home, and can't do any harm, like the Isle of Wight, perhaps.