For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paultheparaglider
Miscellaneous wrote:C'mon fellas, it's stretching it, even for the forum, to suggest students training at the same flying club flying the same aeroplanes is an amazing coincidence. :tongue: :tongue: :D

Which I specifically didn't.

Social media is for sharing social experiences. I found it interesting that a forumite I'd never met before shared so much in common with me from almost 35 years ago.

Misc, you mentioned such commonalities are fun, so why then go on to suck all the fun out of an especially nice one for me? As you know, I no longer fly, but I have a lot of good memories and I don't apologise for sharing them here.

Anyway, you will be pleased to know I'm going to get back in my box now and leave this thread.
JAFO, PeteSpencer liked this
By Miscellaneous
C'mon @Paultheparaglider, what side of the bed did you get out of this morning? They are fun. It's a bit of banter (aka poking fun) I thought that was clear by the use of cheeky emojis? You're not unknown for it yourself. :wink:
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:Now, I appreciate it might not be such an amazing coincidence as this is a pilot forum, but following @JAFO 's comment that he flew at Cardiff, I've shared a few details and he and I have a lot of Cardiff's PA38s in common from a fair time back. Plus an instructor who signed off my first solo. His CFI was unsurprisingly in the circumstances my CFI and also conducted my NFT. JAFO and I have never met, though. We must rectify that JAFO.

I've flown the aircraft he did his first solo in. He has flown the aircraft I did my first solo in.

Added to this, I seem to recall @Paul_Sengupta has also graced a few of the same cockpits.

Nice memories.

Please don't step away from the thread @Paultheparaglider .

Your above post pointed to many of the happy memories from your time learning to fly. The fact that you share the very same 'people, place and ac' with a fellow Forumite gives you that warm glow of knowing someone else shared the same happy and exciting things.
You both know THOSE ac, THAT Instructor, THOSE feelings. It's a lovely human connection.

I recall a newbie Student posting about their first solo and writing that it was no big deal to most folk. One of the responses among the congrats was from Fly Femme and it stuck with me - 'Only someone who has done it will ever understand.'

That's why sharing your experience with @JAFO, is such a special thing.
By ROG
Possibly misc could start a thread and then we could all make negative remarks about it. Most threads on here are put on for a bit of fun and most people view them in that spirit.
Come on misc start a thread yourself,---i"m sur it would be fascinating.
By lobstaboy
Paultheparaglider wrote:Anyway, you will be pleased to know I'm going to get back in my box now and leave this thread.

Me too. What an amazing coincidence :)
By JAFO
T6Harvard wrote:That's why sharing your experience with @JAFO, is such a special thing.

You're spot on there. @T6Harvard, knowing that Paul and I have never met but share memories of a flying school,; an amazing CFI, who is sadly no longer with us; and even some individual aircraft gives me an odd warm and fuzzy feeling on a cold Sunday morning.

Out of interest, does anyone else remember the Cambrian Aero Club at Cardiff, Cliff Hubbard or any of these aeroplanes: G-BGZE, G-BLWP, G-BGZJ, G-BGZH or, my favourite, G-EMMS?
By ChipCobb
One from me...

A few years back I was doing a type rating in Dallas, Texas. Staying in the same hotel as me on a different TR course for something like a Global Express was an American chap, I think he was from Florida. We chatted a few times, caught the same shuttle bus, etc.

No more than two weeks after I'd returned to the UK and started flying my new type I was in Farnborough and walking towards me in the terminal was the very same guy, who had arrived moments before me after crossing the pond.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
T6Harvard liked this
By flyingearly
The weekend before last, I was in Southampton with my wife staying away without the kids and - on the Sunday, before we drove back - we popped into John Lewis to do a spot of Christmas shopping.

While we were there, we saw some really nice plates and bowls that we liked, but which we couldn't justify spending money on. Bear in mind how infrequently people buy dinnerware - and also the fact that John Lewis has many, many different plate ranges.

Anyway, the weekend just gone, I came back home in the afternoon to find an Amazon parcel on the doorstep with my name on it. I was a bit perplexed as I wasn't expecting an Amazon order.

Anyway, I opened it to find a Christmas gift from my boss: the exact same plates as to the ones we were thinking of buying.

Just to round out the story: neither my wife or I had searched for those plates online after our visit to John Lewis. Our thoughts were; this surely cannot be a co-incidence.
T6Harvard liked this
By flyingearly
I've also got a better co-incidence story, but this time it's not something that happened to me directly: rather to another person I was with (honest).

Several years back, we had been invited to a wedding up in Scotland. The day before the wedding, a big group of us had arranged to go on quite a long hike from where we staying, in the surrounding countryside.

After some time walking, a member of our party had the need for what can only be described as 'an emergency poo'. I think you can probably envisage the state of affairs: this was most definitely a mayday, rather than a pan pan. At this stage, we were in an area of sparse civilisation - there were a few isolated buildings, but we didn't know exactly where we were. My friend - running out of diversion options - opted to drop his pants and do his business in an area of shrubbery around the back of a rather beautiful church. Emerging from around the bushes, he suggested we quickly move on and put some distance between ourselves and the devestation he had left behind.

Anyway, fast forward 24 hours to the wedding. We find ourselves following a country road to the church and then.....hang on.....isn't that the church we saw on our walk yesterday? The one where....oh god.

After the ceremony, the obligatory photos outside the church....the confetti....and then the sound of a groomsman asking for attention, before the bride speaks up:

'We'd like to invite you to join us now for a tree-planting ceremony'.

I'll leave it there by remarking simply that at least the tree will be well-fertilised going forward.
JAFO, T6Harvard, kanga liked this
By JAFO
flyingearly wrote:The weekend before last, I was in Southampton with my wife ...

You have my very deepest sympathy. Going into Southampton is a step which should, wherever possible, be avoided.

There are many clues in Southampton to its Regency glory and medieval magnificence, but they have the severe ill-fortune of being located in modern Southampton. The docks here and the proximity of the Supermarine factory made Southampton a prime target for Nazi bombers during the Second World War. The air raids of late November and early December 1940 were known as the Southampton Blitz. The firestorm could be seen from the coast of France eighty-five miles away across the English Channel. By the end of the war it is estimated that two thousand three hundred bombs had been dropped on the city by German bombers as well as over thirty thousand incendiary devices. In total, Southampton had forty-five thousand buildings damaged or demolished during the war. I can't help wondering whether, if we asked very nicely, they might come back and do the same again.
Loco parentis liked this
By Rob L
I was talking to my sister the other day, and it turns out that we have siblings in common!
Imagine my surprise when we both discover we were talking about ourselves! What's the chance of that, eh?
By Loco parentis
JAFO

Indeed, avoided as a gift to yourself. The present appearance of Southampton is a direct consequence of what happens when town planners post WW2 are given a suitable budget gifted by the taxpayer and let loose on a place established around 450AD and peopled by the Jutes.
JAFO liked this
By Miscellaneous
I'm rather cheesed off at the lack a coincidence at them moment. To enable me to tax the car I would quite like the name of the registered keeper on the V5, ie me, to coincide with the name of the registered keeper held by DVLA. Sadly it doesn't, due an 'error'. :evil: :evil:
By JAFO
Miscellaneous wrote:I'm rather cheesed off at the lack a coincidence at them moment. To enable me to tax the car I would quite like the name of the registered keeper on the V5, ie me, to coincide with the name of the registered keeper held by DVLA. Sadly it doesn't, due an 'error'. :evil: :evil:

I once owned a car and was known as Adnan to the DVLA throughout the period of my ownership. I figured it was close enough.
Miscellaneous liked this