For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’m beginning to wonder if I’m falling behind with social media. I don’t use Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, or SnapChat.

I use Facebook (less and less) and apart from WhatsApp to communicate with, I simply use text and email, and browse news/flying/farming stuff on my phone.

Am I missing out and falling behind?

Genuine question, mainly asked because of someone else’s comment elsewhere that big companies are now mostly communicating via Twitter with their customers.
Big companies respond quicker to complaints on Twitter and Facebook as people can see the complaints, retweet or copy them, and it does damage to reputation if not actioned immediately. [real or perceived]

It's very cynical by them and may yet backfire when Twitter users are seen to get pweferential tweetment 8)
Last edited by TravellerBob on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
StratoTramp liked this
I have no idea. But I do have ambition to become a mega-wealthy social media influenza. They apparently make lots of money, I am just a little unsure how to approach this. From observation it appears that having bizarre eyebrows helps, as does starting any video with the word "wassup?"

I dropped off Facebook as the tedious, repetitive government / Brexit bashing became tiresome, it had once been a place to interact with friends, not to just spend time deleting the same old stuff day after day.

I post pictures on Instagram, follow three or four people on Twitter (friends, not celebs - except Suzi Perry ) and spend too much time here.

As for TikTok? WTF?

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
tr7v8 liked this
Rob P wrote:As for TikTok? WTF?

Rob P

If "The Inbetweeners" was about 6th Form students in between Senior school (kids) and University (adults) then TikTok is in between "Thick" and "Stupid".

According to my local 'police Facebook feed' the latest TikTok craze is baked-beaning. That really deserves a FFS
By nallen
Rob P wrote:a mega-wealthy social media influenza

A flu-by-night sensation?
Rob P, kanga, Paultheparaglider and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
I joined facebook with the specific purpose of sending Saucats fly-in photos to rels in Oz.

After a coupla comprehensive account hackings I screwed my security settings
down so tight they squeaked.
Now I use FB for a couple of aeroplane specific and airfield specific forums and that's it.

I get enough abuse and irony from Flyer Forum to satisfy my social meeja needs....

I follow Suffolk Police and my favourite author/journalist Bryony Gordon on twitter but still haven't figured out how to post on twitter or re-find a tweet I was following yesterday. :roll:

As for tik tok, Neneh Cherry's girl does that quite well:

By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:I dropped off Facebook as the tedious, repetitive government / Brexit bashing became tiresome, it had once been a place to interact with friends, not to just spend time deleting the same old stuff day after day.

That's all changed now, and even the Covid stuff has died down, and it's back to interacting with friends from all over the world....
By riverrock
Large companies have access to various products which bring social media interactions into their contact centres, so if you direct message on twitter you could be getting the same person as if you text chatted on their website (or facebook, or any other social media). They generally control public messages into private ones, as they can't talk about individual's issues in a public place, for obvious reasons. The public messages tend to then get quickly removed.

Apparently more video is now consumed on TickTock than YouTube, however as my attention span is more than 60 seconds (or is it now 3 minutes?), I don't "get it".

I've never done instagram or snapchat (or taken pictures of what I'm eating) so I must be getting old.
LinkedIn is work / employment related as far as I can see, so doesn't interest me as I'm not currently looking for a new job.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By AndyR
All personal opinion…

LinkedIn is work related.

FB works as a social tool if you learn to filter selectively.

Instagram is great for photos.

Twitter is a nasty place. Gave up on it. Twice.

The rest I don’t bother with. Occasionally You Tube if I need to utilise a video of “how do I do that…”, usually bike related.

And of course, they’re all free. They’re not compulsory and an entirely personal choice.
kanga, tr7v8 liked this
TheFarmer wrote:I’m beginning to wonder if I’m falling behind with social media. I don’t use Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, or SnapChat.

I use Facebook (less and less) and apart from WhatsApp to communicate with, I simply use text and email, and browse news/flying/farming stuff on my phone.

Genuine question, mainly asked because of someone else’s comment elsewhere that big companies are now mostly communicating via Twitter with their customers.

I don't even use Facebook let alone Twitter and the others; I don't have a 'smartphone' and ignore SMS messages; to those people who claim they are 'insulted' by racist comments I say 'don't be such a wimp; turn the other cheek (sticks and stones may break my bones etc) or turn the bloody thing off' .
TheFarmer wrote:I’m beginning to wonder if I’m falling behind with social media. I don’t use Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, or SnapChat.

You probably are falling behind and missing out, although I’d suggest you’re missing out on Carp you’d choose to miss out on if given a choice. :wink:
JAFO liked this