For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paultheparaglider
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
A4 Pacific wrote:I believe car insurance is cheaper the earlier you purchase

Hmm, I'm not sure. Mine's a lot cheaper now than it was in 1989.

I only paid £8 for my first ever comprehensive insurance policy.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I paid £95 to purchase my brand new blue 125cc Vespa in 1961

(Still got the receipt) :lol:

#edit:
Financed, I might add by parents (£5 per 'O'level)_
And by 4 weeks' work at Marshalls Airport Cambridge bagging up rivets/nuts/bolts etc to make kits for converting the Canberra 'n' to the Canberra ' n +1' :roll:

Insurance was £1 5s 6d
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jim Jones
Proportionally it was more expensive back then

My first car (Vauxhall HA viva ) cost £82.50, TPFT insurance was £40.
On that basis I should be paying £17000 for insurance now.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By CloudHound
I had this with LV.

So I went on t’internet and using a comparison website posed as a new customer.

The reduction in premium was huge. I then called the renewal line a told them it was goodbye unless they matched the new business quote.

They folded eventually.
By PeteSpencer
Ironically there was an article in yesterday's DT saying that insurance premiums have dropped dramatically in the last year due to a reduction in driving and claims.

I've hunted without success for it in my online sub..... :(
By cotterpot
We always submit a new application for DL and they are without exception always cheaper than the one they offer to renew by post.

Have challenged this several times but always end up going with the new quote as the person on the phone can't match it. Ridiculous.
By stevelup
All our policies have gone down year on year with one exception. We're no longer a customer of that insurer...

We didn't even bother offering them an opportunity to re-quote - the insult had already been delivered!
Colonel Panic liked this
By PeteSpencer
I'm going with a well known outfit that I have used before whose premium is significantly lower even than last year's DL premium .
I've scoured whats on offer and it matches pretty much like for like: Excesses differ slightly but not significantly but I can live with that.
By Bill McCarthy
I’ve been with the NFU for thirty odd years now, and that’s for everything - house, farm and all vehicles. I’ve only ever been in a pile-up (nearly two years ago) since 1963 and that’s where the other party admitted liability. Settled in no time. In addition, I get a huge discount (22.5%) on certain new vehicles I buy.
By ROG
Pete-DI gave me a refund last year due to mileage being less than forecast--only a small amount but gesture appreciated. Have a look at top ten in "which" survey and motoring magazines.
Also reduction in aircraft insurance due less use--which was a surprise.