For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
My wife and I have found ourselves in a fortunate position with a little bit of spare cash and we are thinking about buying a small little apartment/cottage to act as a bolthole for us to retreat to a few times a year, which we can rent out the rest of the time and cover some of our costs. We're not worried about making a profit from it, or looking to get rich, but I am looking for some recommendations to help us focus our search area.

What I would really like is to buy somewhere:

- In close proximity (reasonable taxi ride) to an airfield I can get in/out of easily (400m, ideally not one that floods too badly in the winter)
- By the coast (or by 'a' coast)
- Less than 2 hours' flight time ideally from Rochester (around 175 nm)
- Ideally South Coast, but not South-East (e.g. thinking towards Hampshire/Dorset/Devon/IoW) but not a deal-breaker if there are some nice places up Norfolk/Suffolk way - basically not looking to buy in Kent/Sussex.
- Ideally looking at slightly 'nicer' towns/villages, if I'm allowed to say that
- Somewhere that's not a PITA to drive to, if I can't fly for any reason

So far, my Rightmove search radius is looking at places on the IoW near Bembridge/Sandown but keen to consider locations Devon/Dorset way. I'm based mid-Kent, 20 mins from Rochester.

Any thoughts/recommendations most welcome!
One thought regarding IoW is that if say weather precluded flying, a short notice ferry booking for car from Portsmouth to Fishbourne could in worst case scenario be in the region of £250 plus. That’s Wightlink, I doubt Red Funnel are much different.

It could be significantly less if circumstances at the time work out, just something to be aware of.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Belgian coast, less than 2 hours flight and a quick run via the Chunnel, ditto around Calais and Le Touquet, the latter a bit more expensive. But all considerably cheaper than any south coast properties. And better food.
flyingearly, Paul_Sengupta, Mz Hedy and 3 others liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:The Belgian coast, less than 2 hours flight and a quick run via the Chunnel, ditto around Calais and Le Touquet, the latter a bit more expensive. But all considerably cheaper than any south coast properties. And better food.

Yes - hadn't thought of this actually. Probably much easier to drive than the 9 hours I was stuck getting back from Cornwall last week!