For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:@Flyin'Dutch' Indeed, so what was behind the earlier poor take up?

It is not only the Brits who are able to make stupid decisions and let their mood music be determined by populist dumbos; hence their death rate being similar to that of the UK. We had our own equivalent of the Cheltenham racing days in Feb 2020.

Around the time of the UK referendum there was some talk about a Nexit, but that genie has happily gone back into the genie.
Latest Sydney outbreak linked to driver for international flight crews. Diligent venue check-in habits helping to alert appropriate areas

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/ ... /100218700
johnm liked this
By johnm
Cases still growing exponentially, but much lower rate of hospital admissions thus far. So looks like the biggest risk at the moment here in the UK is the emergence of a new variant that the vaccines can't handle well.
MikeB liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Charles Hunt wrote:I thought I heard today that even though the delta variant is more transmissible, in most cases it is no worse than 'flu.

Maybe less deadly ( I don't know) but the rise in admissions suggested it does make people ill enough to end up in NHS hospitals, let's face it, nobody goes in for their culinary highlight, and in the NHS nobody gets admitted unless they have to.
MikeB, Colonel Panic liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:I thought I heard today that even though the delta variant is more transmissible, in most cases it is no worse than 'flu.

.. but, reportedly, both those being hospitalised and that subset of them needing unusually high care eg ICU, and those suffering long term effects, are all younger than equivalents in earlier waves
johnm liked this
kanga wrote:

.. but, reportedly, both those being hospitalised and that subset of them needing unusually high care eg ICU, and those suffering long term effects, are all younger than equivalents in earlier waves

Due to the variant or the fact that the young are less likely to be vaccinated? I presume the latter.
By johnm
It's all very worrying at present. We're still looking at cases rising exponentially, the disease is raging across the globe. We're a good 2 years away from this coming under control IMHO.

Allowing the delta variant into the UK was a monumental stupidity. We should be (have been) stopping travel from anywhere with a new variant and/or imposing strict quarantine until we know whether it is one to worry about.
JAFO liked this
By johnm
Charles Hunt wrote:Beginnings of some sanity, suggestion that Covid Passports for the double vaccinated may allow return from amber list countries without excessive testing or quarantine.

Whether that is sane or insane depends on the model. It should require a test on arrival, 7 days isolation and another test... anything less is insane.
JAFO liked this
Daughter #2 recently returned from Spain; prior to flying she had to take a PCR test, then on Days 2, 5 (test to release) and 8 she sent a PCR test off to the UK authorities. All 4 tests were negative.

She received a Track & Trace call on the landline EVERY single day at various times which surprised us - but a Good Thing.
johnm, Flyin'Dutch', MikeB and 3 others liked this