Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By romille
I am not dismissing the real problem but if someone wants to tell me to change my ways, they needs to put their own house in order first. By the way the interviewee before her was an actress that regularly commutes between London and LA.
By Paul_Sengupta
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/26/emma-thompson-admits-hypocritical-fly-5400-miles-climate-change-protest-10812405/

"Dame Emma Thompson has admitted it was hypocritical to fly to a climate change protest, but insists she flies a lot less than she used to. The 60-year-old was criticised earlier this year when it emerged she flew 5,400 miles to attend the Extinction Rebellion protest in Central London. A flight from Los Angeles International Airport to London Heathrow generates around 1.67 tonnes of CO2."

johnm wrote:Civil disobedience is the only remaining option when the normal expectations of coherent government fall apart.

But they haven't fallen apart, the UK is doing ok (I won't say brilliantly!) when it comes to reducing carbon emissions.

johnm wrote:but never have I seen it in such a mess before, not even the 1970s and the 3 day week were as bad as this.

Not really. Life is going on a normal. Bins are being collected (including recycling bins ;-) ), there's no food shortages, or shortages of anything really. We're all going about daily life as normal.

As for ER:

"SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!"
"We're doing something. We have been for years."
"MORE MUST BE DONE!"
"What?"
"Um...dunno."
Robin500, Rob P liked this
By johnm
There is a sense that people feel powerless, rightly or wrongly. They also feel scared and it’s at that point that they look to the authorities for help and guidance. If that is not forthcoming then protest is a natural next step and to some extent rightly so.

We are entitled to expect that the authorities will seek expert advice, form plans and communicate, but at present they don’t, hence the chaos and protest.

I don’t understand why it’s surprising and I don’t understand why the protesters are vilified rather than those who are failing in their duty.

I agree that daily life is a bit less chaotic than in the 3 day week, but the democratic landscape is much worse so problems are accumulating and not being tackled as they were even a decade ago.
By stevelup
johnm wrote:Civil disobedience is the only remaining option when the normal expectations of coherent government fall apart. The topic becomes irrelevant and opportunists exploit the vacuum.

Can you -please- enlighten me what the UK is doing wrong in terms of environmental progress that would be measurably improved with a 'coherent government'.
Rob P liked this
By Chris Martyr
johnm wrote: not even the 1970s and the 3 day week were as bad as this.

John , I know from your past posts that you are an intelligent , thinking man . But sorry mate , the above is simply not correct .
You were either not here at the time , or are looking back with VERY rose-tinted spectacles indeed .
I am sure that most contributors here [including yourself] will remember those dark [literally] and horrible old days of power cuts , fuel shortages and all manner of industrial unrest.
Our parents generation had it even worse , with all of the above , plus the added 'inconvenience' of a world war raging as well .

These children don't know they're alive . Of course there are lots of things wrong in the world today , but it's many times better than the world that previous generations had to endure.

Considering that the foot-soldiers in this campaign appear to be mainly naive and easily led millennials , plus a few mischievous old hippies thrown in for good measure , all of whom are gullible enough to be duped into believing that if the world carbon footprint isn't brought to zero by 2025 , we'll all be blown to smithereens , just makes the whole charade laughable .

You remarked previously about them having "fire in their bellies". Well considering that most of them are lentil munching vegans , it's probably more like flatulence .
skydriller liked this
By malcolmfrost
John , I know from your past posts that you are an intelligent , thinking man . But sorry mate , the above is simply not correct .
You were either not here at the time , or are looking back with VERY rose-tinted spectacles indeed .
I am sure that most contributors here [including yourself] will remember those dark [literally] and horrible old days of power cuts , fuel shortages and all manner of industrial unrest.

I'm afraid it's BDS again!
Petrol rationing (I had a coupon for 1 gallon per week for my moped), TV shut down at 10:30, Soho Square 8 ft deep in uncollected rubbish, bodies lying unburied, the occasional IRA bomb, oh and extremely high inflation, and incidentally politics was probably just as broken!
By Robin500
Question. Do the 10's of thousands of tonnes of CO2 emitted from airlines all over the planet high in the atmosphere do more harm and trap in more heat than CO2 released from ground sources?
By KeithM
JoeC wrote:...and its just as easy to dismiss the underlying problem by focussing on the messengers. It means you can relax and ignore the real problem and create enemies of the status quo as a distraction whilst repeating ad infinitum that the system will fix itself. .

The only thing that I dismiss is any notion that complex issues can be solved with simplistic comments and slogans as opposed to putting forward clearly defined, practical and realistic proposals.

As for the messengers, I would attribute that title to the scientists rather than to any protestors.

We should most certainly be listening to the former.
JoeC liked this
By cockney steve
'Tis all a big marketing con-trick, folks. Just like the "charity" industry. Yes, i get about a dozen poly bags a year, each in a poly bag extolling the valuable contribution I can make to (charity of your choice, they're all represented!) A careful scrutiny of the bag discloses that It's actually a contractor (or their subbies)
doing the collecting and sorting, then , it appears, the stuff is baled and sold in the third world, to entrepreneurial street-traders and the like......so, no, you're not really helping the starving Lepers/ Aids victims/refugees.
Meanwhile the organisers of the facade-er, sorry, "the Charity" have a nice comfortable lifestyle, with, no-doubt, a nice comfortable pension. Simply because they're good at marketing ideals to naive and gullible folk..
Tell the lot to wake up and smell the coffee.....they're just pawns in the latest exploitation-racket. :evil:
By KeithM
cockney steve wrote:'Tis all a big marketing con-trick, folks. Just like the "charity" industry. Yes, i get about a dozen poly bags a year

Lucky you!

In which rural hamlet do you reside?

I live in a small town and get more than that every couple of months and most are non-recyclable!
By Paul_Sengupta
"Meanwhile, an extra 500 officers from across England and Wales will be sent to London to help police the climate change protests."

That's not going to produce any more CO2 of course, is it?! :D
By MarkOlding
Today I sat in a coffee shop from a big chain next to a cross roads filled with tents and mainly older people being very nice and smiley handing out leaflets telling me if something isn't done about the environment the world will fall off its axis and we're all going to die.
Inside the coffee shop were lots of their friends called Tarquin, Genevieve, and Moon Base Alpha all drinking coffee while trying to charge their mobile phones and adjust their Goretex jackets saying how great yesterday's protest was and they really fell they are making a difference - and that if the Government didn't take notice the world will fall off its axis and death will follow etc etc.
What got me was the amount of Matilda's and StJohns's drinking out of single use disposable cups and plastic water bottles they'd just bought over the counter while working out how to stop the world falling off its axis etc. etc. and seemingly happy to tell me that the government had to do something to stop waste / plastic, consumerism (while surfing the internet on their smart phones) and making sure the nylon / Goretex combo would keep them dry.
I believe in climate change, I believe we are doing things about it - maybe slowly. What I don't believe is a bunch of clueless ejits who posture and pose while trying desperately to "be right on" and making my life harder so they can sit in a Pret a Manger and drink coffee from a disposable cup while working out who to piXX off next.

Thank you
Jim Jones, Rob P, cockney steve and 3 others liked this