Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
treborsnave wrote:
Hang on though, doesn't the £39BN include the contributions for the two year transition period? If we were to leave without a deal, surely we wouldn't be advocating payment for something we're not getting?

There are other opinions as to what it represents

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... vorce-bill

And there’s nothing lawyers like more than two sides with disputed opinions regarding a contract.

It’s likely to be messy!
johnm liked this
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:... if Johnson orchestrates a crash out and reneges on the debt, then a couple of things might happen.

Our credit rating will be reduced by S&P and government borrowing costs will go from around 2% today to anything up to around 6 to 8% essentially junk bond status.

The EU will probably take the UK to an international arbitration tribunal and there'll be no trade discussions until the issue is resolved, could take years.

Let's revisit that statement in a year shall we? ;) I say it's fantastical, won't happen, not a chance, never in a million years, none of it.
By johnm
Colonel Panic wrote:
johnm wrote:... however, no-one knew what they were voting for if they voted in favour of Brexit.

Wow. Bold statement. :roll:

Since to this day we don’t know what Brexit is going to look like they were either clairvoyant or didn’t know..........
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:
johnm wrote:... if Johnson orchestrates a crash out and reneges on the debt, then a couple of things might happen.

Our credit rating will be reduced by S&P and government borrowing costs will go from around 2% today to anything up to around 6 to 8% essentially junk bond status.

The EU will probably take the UK to an international arbitration tribunal and there'll be no trade discussions until the issue is resolved, could take years.

Let's revisit that statement in a year shall we? ;) I say it's fantastical, won't happen, not a chance, never in a million years, none of it.

In some ways I hope you’re right in others I hope you’re wrong because the idea that dishonourable and dishonest behaviour might go unsanctioned is offensive.
By eltonioni
Let’s hope I am.

This helps: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... -khbwbdmwz

Britain and South Korea have agreed in principle to sign a separate free trade deal in advance of Britain’s scheduled exit from the European Union in October.

Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, signed the preliminary agreement with Yoo Myung-hee, the minister of trade, in Seoul today.

The deal replicates the preferential terms Britain enjoys with South Korea through the European Union, including keeping zero-tariffs on South Korean exports such as car parts.
By ThePipster
So, another 40 pages on and there is still nothing forthcoming as to how we are going to proceed as a united nation in a brave new post Brexit world.

I only read posts from group of individuals continuing recycle the same arguments for the rights and wrongs of Brexit, but no real way forward.

Given that the demographic that frequent these forums are not generally in the first flushes of youth, I guess that it will fall to the next generation to fix the problems, let’s hope they are able, willing and sufficiently motivated to do so.

Regardless of the various views of the snowflake generation and whether you agree with them or not , it is probably worth remembering that they will end up choosing or paying for your care home or both !!

Pipster
johnm, Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:Let’s hope I am.

This helps: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... -khbwbdmwz

Britain and South Korea have agreed in principle to sign a separate free trade deal in advance of Britain’s scheduled exit from the European Union in October.

Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, signed the preliminary agreement with Yoo Myung-hee, the minister of trade, in Seoul today.

The deal replicates the preferential terms Britain enjoys with South Korea through the European Union, including keeping zero-tariffs on South Korean exports such as car parts.

Oh goody, only another 60 odd to go before we get back to the answer we started with :roll:
By eltonioni
ThePipster wrote:So, another 40 pages on and there is still nothing forthcoming as to how we are going to proceed as a united nation in a brave new post Brexit world.

^^^ posted 24 minutes after news of a UK trade deal with South Korea that replicates the current EU agreement. ;)
By nallen
eltonioni wrote:
ThePipster wrote:So, another 40 pages on and there is still nothing forthcoming as to how we are going to proceed as a united nation in a brave new post Brexit world.

^^^ posted 24 minutes after news of a UK trade deal with South Korea that replicates the current EU agreement. ;)

Actually, it doesn't (I'm not saying it's not a good thing; of course it is). But according to the FT:

However, the agreement is not a permanent trade deal between the UK and South Korea and would need to be renegotiated within two years.

In future Britain will need to obtain South Korea’s consent to maintain existing tariff-free terms for UK goods with significant European components and for UK components in EU exports.
By LowNSlow1
Pipster, fixing the problems left by the preceding generation is what humans have been doing since we crawled out of the swamp. Every generation also thinks that they were the only ones to ever have to do it......
By eltonioni
@nallen and..? Other people have termination rights as well as the UK. Deals have more than one signatory, the giveaway is the "renegotiation" where parties discuss and agree what is mutually beneficial, or not.
By Sooty25
I do find it interesting that the remoaners bleat on about Farage and Boris misleading the public, and blaming them for Brexit.

The only reason either of them have had any audience is because the audience was already there. Dislike of EU membership has been there for decades, they just picked it up and ran with it because a significant number of the population already wanted it.

going back to...

treborsnave wrote:
I know 5 active teachers in the state system. Of the people I know, they are the most acidic, abusive, vitriolic remainers you could never wish to have a conversation about Brexit, which naturally starts from the position of Brexit = Racist, and doesn't move very far from that. I do hope that my sample is skewed, but I am seriously concerned that people who hold such views are responsible for educating young minds.

Anyone noticed the same? Or care to provide a counterpoint?

I know a recently recently qualified Professor teaching at a local university. She was mortified by the possibility of Brexit as in her words "all our research funding comes from the EU". She's not involved in an EU wide subject, its all in the UK. Absolutely no thought that we could fund it directly rather than sending the funds to Brussels first!
By kanga
[usual disclaimer and just trying to attenuate a bit some of the mutual vituperation in this thread .. :? ]

'Heresy' on R4 with the brilliant Victoria Coren Mitchell returned last night. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005t9g

The first proposition debated by the panel (of intelligent comedians, like VCM) was "Brexit has been divisive". 98% of the studio audience agreed at the start of the programme; so one panellist postulated that with so much agreement it obviously had not been ..
By TheKentishFledgling
kanga wrote:[usual disclaimer and just trying to attenuate a bit some of the mutual vituperation in this thread .. :? ]

'Heresy' on R4 with the brilliant Victoria Coren Mitchell returned last night. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005t9g

The first proposition debated by the panel (of intelligent comedians, like VCM) was "Brexit has been divisive". 98% of the studio audience agreed at the start of the programme; so one panellist postulated that with so much agreement it obviously had not been ..

Just a shame this included the (in my view) awful Jo Brand suggesting that people shouldn't throw milkshakes at politicians they don't like, but rather battery acid. How hilarious :roll: