For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By matthew_w100
Are there any Photoshop (CS6) experts out there?

I'm trying to upgrade myself from beginner to intermediate, but one thing I've struggled with is selections. I never seem to manage to get all of what i want and none of what I don't. What I think i need is a selection tool that works a bit like the route drawing tool in our favourite navigation software. One where you can start with a simple line and then adjust it by dragging with the mouse. And then add bends by inserting waypoints and "rubber-banding". And then move the waypoints to fine tune. It is a very intuitive way to operate. but I can't find a selection tool which operates that way in PS. Does one exist?

TIA
By matthew_w100
Yes i have, but what I'd really like to be able to do is click on one of those little anchor points and move it, like I can with a waypoint in SD. I keep trying then remembering in frustration that it's not SD!
Last edited by matthew_w100 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TheKentishFledgling
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I see what you mean. The pen tool is in some ways near that, but also quite fiddly to get used to. Once you've made your selection, right click and "make selection".

To be honest, for any accurate selection I make, I will use a mix of the all the selection tools (wand, lasso etc) plus the pen, and then spend a bit of time "tidying up" using the same tools again, but adding to / removing from the selection (hold down shift and alt respectively).
By Mr Bags
I have found that YouTube have some great Photoshop tutorials made by Photoshop users, often easier to follow than the official Adobe ones.