Discuss the problems and solutions to all of the situations that Pilot X finds himself in.
By davef77
mistral1 wrote:So what is the correct answer to this then? As a someone who has gained an EASA aerobatic licence, (in a 152) I thought I knew how to get out of a a spin either using PARE or by releasing the controls altogether and pulling the throttle, but this story indicates that there is a situation where this will not work, so it would be great to know before I "discover it" myself.
My theory BTW is due to the cross tank venting design most of the fuel can be taken from one tank before the other, so there may have been a imbalance which wouldn't have helped, but then he did not hold the recommended recovery position (opposite rudder and stick forward) for long enough.
Would like to know the real answer though

There is lots to be said about spinning, there are several books dedicated to the topic.

I think the use of "pro-spin" is misleading here. Aerobatic pilots have a specific meaning for the term Pro-spin. It means an input the enhances the spin. So ailerons in the opposite direction to an upright spin are "pro-spin" while those in the same direction are "anti-spin".

In an upright spin the inside, downgoing, wing is stalled. Applying aileron in the opposite direction will deepen the stall and so accellerate the spin. (You do a flat spin by increasing the throttle and adding aileron in the opposite (pro-spin) direction.)

So, adding aileron in the direction of the spin (still upright) will reduce the AoA and so help to unstall the downgoing wing.

In the case of an inadvertant spin, you should follow the POH and standard recovery technique.

If that doesn't work, for most aeroplanes, let go of everything and push on the rudder that is resisting your push. If your aeroplane is one of the minority of types for which this doesnt work, you should know that fact, and then start trying other things.

The standard recovery insists on closing the throttle - YOU SHOULD DO THAT.

Reducing power avoids complicating the spin but, it also de-powers the controls. As an aerobatic pilot I add power to help me exit spins when I want. If I was struggling to get out of a spin - not a problem that I have seen, letting go of everything works in all situations in my aeroplane - but if I was struggling, I would add power to give better control authority, as well as aileron in the direction of the spin (when upright :-))

I am of the school of thought that the demonisation of spins is a bad idea. I think that they should be a mandatory part of PPL training.

I learned to fly gliders and was required to spin and recover as part of my training. I was fine with it.

Later I started flying recreational aerobatics and was nervous of spins because of all that I had read in places like this and the clear nervousness of some of my aerobatic instructors to spin.

Now I am happy doing upright and inverted spins and playing with different approaches. I am currently working on spin exits with minimal or no rudder inputs, leaving full pro-spin rudder and still exiting the spin (power and quick elevator - this is a reasonably advanced technique, don't try it alone!). Sounds wrong but it works in my aeroplane!

I think all pilots should learn to spin and so be less scared of it. It is a controllable regime of flight. Manufactureres are no more allowed to certify an aeroplane that can't recover from a spin than they are one that the engine regularly falls off.

For me the terifying situation is the idea of someone entering a spin accidentally and then freezing at the controls because they have no ideas of what to try. I have LOTS of ideas what to try, and a decent understanding of what is most likely to work for me and so, an order in which to try them.

Please go and find someone good to do some spin training with!
mick w, AndyR liked this
By mistral1
Dave
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I covered spinning as part of my aerobatic training course and always do a couple as part of my sessions that I now do solo.
I usually do two revolutions an am working on accurate exits ie making sure I do exactly 720 degrees. It was just that this example mentioned the exact plane I am using so I wanted to get as much info as possible, especially as to date I have never had an issue with it exiting. Either using hands off which I did at the early stages, or using standard recovery as I do now. Your input was useful and will give me somewhere to go should the worse happen
Cheers
Paul