Discuss the problems and solutions to all of the situations that Pilot X finds himself in.
By davef77
I hope the OP doesn't mind me extending the series...

I turned up to the airfield a few weeks ago to fly my new aeroplane. It is a wonderful high performance beast that I am very proud of - still in the full flush of early aircraft ownership.

I was intending to practice some pretty advanced stuff. I was in full daring pilot mode, I even had my Raybans on and my favorite aerobatic themed T shirt.

I checked over the aeroplane carefully, removing pitot covers, control-locks, canopy cover, noting that the ground crew had chocked the wheels, checking for loose articles, checking the oil, the lot!

I walked through my intended practice sequence, rehearsing the advanced aerobatic moves that I planned to make. Moving my hands to represent flicks and spins, rolls and loops.

I climbed into my aeroplane, got myself strapped-in with the 7-point aerobatic harness. Ratcheted down the lap strap so I couldn't move my bum - negative G, no problem for me 8)

I started the 300hp engine, it makes a great noise as the six cylinders all come online and it smooths out just after start.

I called up for a radio check, eased the throttle forward to taxi - nothing! No movement, just more noise.

I pushed a bit harder, nothing.

Then it dawned on me, I had left the chocks in-place :lol: :lol: :ncool:

I shutdown, undid the harness opened the cockpit and tried to nonchalantly saunter around the aeroplane and remove the chocks :clown:
By rf3flyer
Well, aside from the 'high performance beast', the 'pretty advanced stuff', the 'ground crew', 'rehearsing the advanced aerobatic moves', the '7-point aerobatic harness' and 'the 300hp engine', I've done that too. Who hasn't? :roll:
Rob L liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not with chocks, but in the US the usual aeroplane securement is to tie it down to embedded points in the tarmac...one under each wing, and one on the tail. Standard procedure in some places is to leave the tail one on until the last moment.

Well...
Grelly liked this
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Not with chocks, but in the US the usual aeroplane securement is to tie it down to embedded points in the tarmac...one under each wing, and one on the tail. Standard procedure in some places is to leave the tail one on until the last moment.

Well...

Yup. Done that.
By kanga
Rob L wrote:
BWI? Somewhere we should all know about? :|

:oops:

Sorry, 'Friendship Airport' if you are as old as I am, but then ' Baltimore-Washington International' or BWI when the City of Baltimore was trying to build it up to rival Dulles, and now 'BWI Thurgood Marshal'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore–Washington_International_Airport

When I had to go to Washington regularly on business, it was much nicer than Dulles, and with much friendlier Customs and Immigration staff; which was not difficult :roll:
By Rob L
kanga wrote: if you are as old as I am,

Having met you briefly at PP 2017, I am not!

But it was a pleasure to meet you after all my visits to JAM where you seem to be not there.

Rob
kanga liked this
By DarrenL
I did this at Goodwood a few weeks ago. :oops:

Was expecting the bowser to be available for fuel as per my last visit, so on arrival taxied straight to parking. Found out I could only get fuel at the pumps so when it was time to leave, we got started, headed over to the pumps to fill up where I then found that I had to taxi back to the clubhouse again to pay for the fuel.

Having settled up, on the 3rd time in 15 mins of hand swinging, loading my 6 year old son in after me and making the call to the tower, I wondered why the grass seemed a bit stickier! The penny dropped shortly and I unloaded aforementioned son (one of the shortcomings of only having one door!) before sheepishly retrieving the chocks :(