Discuss the problems and solutions to all of the situations that Pilot X finds himself in.
By Chasnaisflyer
I have been chasing an oil leak on my 172. Eventually found it, fixed it, and all was well. Until the day after my satisfactory test flight, when after another short 1 hour flight I was horrified to see all that oil back again, and this time in worryingly large quantity.
I sat down in despair, went for a cup of tea and worked out my frustration on the garden.
I decided to clean up the 'plane and see how much oil I had lost. OMG. I had not inserted and locked the dipstick properly into place. Guess where all that oil was coming from.
I have been flying for 54 years and flying this 172, for about 45 years off and on, and owned it exclusively for 20.
I have never made this mistake before. I feel a right "Dipstick" but I hope this published embarrassment helps other not make the same mistake.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It happens, but no harm done usually assist from a lot of cleaning.

Over tightening a Lycoming dipstick is worse as it breaks the seal it the bottom of the dipstick tube and causes a slow oil leak. I always teach that the dipstick should be tightened with one finger, then no more than an eighth of a turn more.
PeteSpencer liked this