Discuss the problems and solutions to all of the situations that Pilot X finds himself in.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I liked him - he's clearly a good guy.

And although he made some schoolboy errors, to his credit, he didn't do an Air France 447. Enough of his attention was still all present and correct, flying the airplane, while he got it figured out.

There are plenty of people that didn't make it out of situations like that.
mick w, tr7v8 liked this
By TomWW
russp wrote:Did I miss something? IFR rated pilot flies into IMC in an aircraft that appears to be instrumented for IMC and after contacting ATC lands safely.

I think it’s traditional. When someone does something really stupid, or at least claims to have done so, you are then supposed to congratulate him. ( it is always a him).

Once you have finished telling him how wonderful he is you then thank him. The object of this layer of adulation is his bravery in sharing his stupidity, lack of command decisions, and general sub standard performance. So that we can all learn.

Of course you should never be so cynical as to suspect he may have done it all, over stated the problems and generally gilded the lily just for clicks on YouTube.

There are of curse some people out there who genuinely shouldn’t be in the air at all.

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
By johnm
I now actively avoid YouTube unless I’m searching for something specific, like how to fix our washing machine, so I won’t be clicking on the link.

Boss man material is of course an exception. :D
Interesting that the FF TimeWarp kicked in again :)

Nearly 1 year gap (does that make it a "gap yaahhh?") since the last post - aaand yes, the comments are kinda where I started my fishing expedition.

I'm not qualified to give an instructor level critique of the flight - and I do have my doubts about the veracity of the situation - but still, the video is worthwhile IHMO.

couple of young and enthusiastic clubmates many years back got into exactly this pickle as low hour pilots. They'd done the smart thing of buddying up; one would do the outward leg, and the other the return - with both keeping an eye on each other + sharing costs. They flew into a down to deck-level cloud, constantly thinking they'd break through. It was only when the buddy said "hey - we're inverted" that the PIC realised how disoriented he was...got his head back into the instruments, flipped the a/c back over and didn't become a minor Dutch/Belgian AAIC report.

This was a pair of late teens/early 20s "lads" though - they hoolied up and down the runway late one "club night" in the club's Renault 5, until they'd ran out of fuel..and had to walk the 3km walk of shame back to the clubhouse and admit they'd have to have the car recovered before the real owners of the airfield noticed...
By Rjk983
russp wrote:Did I miss something? IFR rated pilot flies into IMC in an aircraft that appears to be instrumented for IMC and after contacting ATC lands safely.

I missed this one first time round, only looked at it following the recent YouTuber bashing that has been going on in a few threads. I think this is a good example of how to bare your soul after an error in judgement. I don’t think this was made up or hammed up, you can hear it in his voice in the ATC transmissions.

I think you maybe did miss something @russp, IFR rated pilot, in an IFR/IMC fitted and capable aircraft, inadvertently flies into IMC, gets a bit flustered despite his training, forgets some of his checks despite his training, gets help, mildly panics when autopilot disengages and bells and whistles start flashing and screeching, IFR training kicks in, remembers to Aviate, messes around with stuff, remembers that achieving a sensible pitch and power setting will make sure he is not in a stalled condition, finally kills the noise THEN remembers his pitot heater and the world calms down around him.

Eventually continues to apply his IFR training and successfully fights his instincts and follows the instruments, gets to VMC lands safely.

Now, suppose he wasn’t in an IFR equipped aircraft and didn’t have a pitot heater. Let’s assume he only has the basic NPPL(A) M level of training, ie no instrument training… how much more flustered would he have been, especially if he had never thought about what he would do or practiced a 180 level turn by sole reference to instruments… now look at the thread in the general forum on the CAA consultation on revisions to PPL level licencing…
I think what this throws up for me (IR(R)) is that while it’s great that Americans have easy access to the full IR and airways, they do have an 'all or nothing' approach to IFR - meaning an unplanned entry to IMC is more disconcerting for them than for IR(R) pilots here where it’s not unusual. I tend to plan all flights as potentially IFR (i.e. all Nav is radio Nav, and calculate MSA and planned altitudes assuming IMC) and I think that’s reasonably common for IR(R) rated pilots here - at least if it’s not, I’d recommend it. I may then fly below MSA in VMC but I can transition easily.