Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By matt020876
I finished off my exams recently at a dedicated groundschool. The guy who runs the place told me that the CAA have just changed the rules - enabling you to fly after you have sent off your license to fly without an instructor sign off, as was the requirement previously.

Does anyone know when this is coming in force - or in force already?
By matt020876
Thanks, but the form mentioned in this thread is for people who already actually have a license and are adding rating s to them - not the first issue of a license.

I was referring to in the last week or so CAA changing the rules so that after your FIRST skills test pass you can fly immediately without the permission/signoff from an instructor.
By DavidC
No. This doesn't apply to first licence issue, so you'll still have to wait some weeks. You can't bypass this through the same-day service at CAA Gatwick either. I think they need to make some additional checks.

But you can fly solo under supervision in the meantime.

If it makes you feel any better, the FAA has just this month changed the way they issue student pilot licences - required before you can go first solo during your training. Previously these were just issued as part of your medical certificate, but now require a separate application that takes some weeks. They want to include TSA security checks etc. at that stage.

Further ratings such as IR(R), CB-IR, Multi-Engine, instructor etc. can be used immediately through the new process with a temporary certificate for up to 2 months while the paperwork is processed.
By Jelunga
It does seem perverse that you can fly solo before your skills test, but as soon as you have passed, you need to wait for your license. I cannot see in the regulations anything other than the bit saying that whilst training your FI can authorise solos, but our FTO seems to think that after Skills Test they cannot let you fly solo because your "training" has ended. Anybody tell me where in rules and regs to refer to this, other than para 165.2 in ANO 2016?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matt020876 wrote:I finished off my exams recently at a dedicated groundschool. The guy who runs the place told me that the CAA have just changed the rules - enabling you to fly after you have sent off your license to fly without an instructor sign off, as was the requirement previously.

Any geographic clues as to where you heard this?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jelunga wrote:I cannot see in the regulations anything other than the bit saying that whilst training your FI can authorise solos

Its 136 (2) for EASA aircraft or 140 for non-EASA http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... 765_en.pdf

Flying is a constant opportunity to learn new things. Training doesn't stop when you pass your skills test. I can't talk about your FTO but pretty much everywhere else, an instructor will sign people out for solo flying before their licence arrives. Essentially consolidation training. This has been discussed a few times before on here and no-one has ever been told off by the CAA for doing this. Your FTO is incorrect.
By Rob P
My CFI signed me off for an evening flight to overhead Duxford so as to watch the four B17s returning from a day's filming on Memphis Belle (The recent one, not the William Wilder version).

"Just pop the keys through the door when you return with a note of your times"

Made me feel like a real growed-up pilot.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this