Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
riverrock wrote: there is no legal requirement for it, but certain exams do make sense before you go solo.

There is but it is vague the student must demonstrate a knowledge of air law. This was from before air law and ops probs was split and the sittings debacle makes it sensible to do the air law ops profs and human factors in the same sitting. We do brush up ground school on Saturdays if you are interested.
By Hazel C
If its any help, the first exam I did before solo was Met. But I think this was unusual and was under the old system f 7 exams only without the requirement to do them in sittings.

Just time it correctly so that they don't run out, otherwise you will have to take them all again. You ahev two years from the date of passing your last exam to the CAA issuing your licence.
By modularpilot
I did mine in this order.

Air Law, Human Performance & Operational procedures
Principles of flight and Aircraft General Knowledge
Communications and Meteorology
Now I just have Flight Planing and Performance and Navigation to pass.

It worked well for me.

My theory is to knock the exams out early and concentrate on the flying.
T6Harvard liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
Did you talk to your flight school? They often recommend a sequence.
We split them inro three groups :-
law, ops and HPL, the ( law) subjects.
Met, planning and nav, the nav subjects.
A/c gen, POF and comms, the tech subjects.
We're flexible but require the law subjects before first solo and nav before first solo nav. So you might as well do all the nav subjects.
That's three sittings giving you three for retakes.
Our ground school brushup is the same sequence.
First week law no exam. Next week law exam, ops procs followed by exam
Next week HPL and exam. Three exams in one ten day sitting but three weeks of study. Same with the other subjects.
First time around there were slippages. This time so far no slippages and very high marks all round.
Desert Rat, WasteBin liked this
By thewizard
I just did four exams in one sitting while on my 12-hour scholarship. I did:
Air law, human performance, ops, and comms - passed all four.

Just my input from a newbie!
T6Harvard liked this
By carlton007
thewizard wrote:I just did four exams in one sitting while on my 12-hour scholarship. I did:
Air law, human performance, ops, and comms - passed all four.

Just my input from a newbie!

Well done , which revision material did you use , do you have any I pad

complient suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Andrew Sinclair
Sir Morley Steven wrote:
riverrock wrote: there is no legal requirement for it, but certain exams do make sense before you go solo.

There is but it is vague the student must demonstrate a knowledge of air law. This was from before air law and ops probs was split and the sittings debacle makes it sensible to do the air law ops profs and human factors in the same sitting. We do brush up ground school on Saturdays if you are interested.

SMS Do you have a reference? At least I haven’t found anything over the years apart from BitPS. Individual ATOs/RFs may have in their/your flying order book / ATO manual.
By Cookie
FCL.020 Student pilot
(a) A student pilot shall not fly solo unless authorised to do so and supervised by a flight instructor.

and

FCL.210.A (b)(2)
Before allowing the applicant for a PPL(A) to undertake his/her first solo flight, the FI should ensure that the applicant can use R/T communication.

It may be that local procedures (RF/ATO manual etc) require a student to complete Air Law prior to first solo, but the regulation does not.

Sittings
The Light Aircraft Association, along with other associations, provided comment (730) on NPA 2014-29(A) recommending removal of the sittings restriction which is not considered appropriate for training towards non-commercial licences.

The current 'sittings requirement' is due to be removed from FCL.025(b) for LAPL and PPL applicants following responses to NPA 2014-29(A) and publication of subsequent Opinion 05/2017 which contains an amendment to the existing text.

This is currently finding it's way through the EASA rulemaking process, and is expected within the first half of 2018.

Cookie
Morten, Paul_Sengupta liked this
By carlapilot
You do your exams one at a time??? :-o
I needed to do both 10 topics.... ok there I was choosing the easier one at first, but still... Had no time between to go to forum and ask which would be the next one :D
By cadoganpier
Just finished my last 3 today and passed. I did Air law and ops back in March pre solo and the rest in the last week. Thank God!. Now I just need the weather to be kind for the QXC and the test.
T6Harvard liked this
By PaulB
cadoganpier wrote:Just finished my last 3 today and passed. I did Air law and ops back in March pre solo and the rest in the last week. Thank God!. Now I just need the weather to be kind for the QXC and the test.

Have you done RT practical?
Wicksay liked this
By clarkeysntfc
I used 4 sittings for my 9 exams.

The order was:
- Air Law, Ops, Human Performance (all in one day)
- Principles of Flight, Aircraft General, Comms (all in one day)
- Nav on its own
- Flight Planning & Met (2 days apart)