Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By statppl
Great community.
I am having having fun following so many stories here. Keep them coming...... :thumleft:

I was considering Fly-in-Spain, Jerez for the PPL. Now I saw on a forum about another school in Malaga, Aerodynamics. I contacted them, and they have given a quote that is very similar to FIS.

While FIS has been training PPL for a while, Aerodynamics appears to be new to this. The barebone Aerodynamics website doesn't give out much information. So, I guess I will have to visit them and FIS while on holidays on Costa de Sol :cheers: before I make any decision.

Has anyone here enrolled with Aerodynamics for the PPL?

Saludos :)
By Rob P
I certainly can't recall anyone posting on here they had done so.

Welcome. :D

Rob P
By Woz
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I cannot help with the school's .. but hello and welcome :thumleft:
By Cheney Jawa
Welcome and please keep us posted on how you get on.

My family has a small place in Torremolinos and it has definitely interested me the thought of having a bimble up & down the coast when on my hols, either Pre PPL or Post PPL :D
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cheney Jawa wrote:Welcome and please keep us posted on how you get on.

My family has a small place in Torremolinos and it has definitely interested me the thought of having a bimble up & down the coast when on my hols, either Pre PPL or Post PPL :D

Cheney

I've been thinking something similar. My wife is Spanish from a town about 35km north of Malaga and we go every year. Her sister's boyfriend is learning to fly a microlight and I had a go last summer just after starting my PPL.

It was so different from the Tomahawk I was learning in back in Blighty. Completely open, 35 degrees, cruising at 50kts. It didn't even have an altimeter! Definitely going to try arranging another flight when we go again in 7 weeks

Dek
By statppl
I am thinking of booking a holiday on Costa de Sol in October. With car renting being so cheap, it should not be a problem visiting these two facilities, no matter where I go for the holidays. Obviously, I will report back my impressions.

@Cheney & FlightDek: I have been reading your threads :) Very informative ( e.g. 'airquiz' :thumleft: ).

A bit off-topic: anyone on the forum from Germany? I intend to learn in Spain, but I guess I'll be doing the actual flying in Germany. It would be good to know a few nice chaps/Männer here :wink:

Cheers.
By Danny
I think FIS may have a strong German connection if memory serves me right.
By statppl
Danny wrote:I think FIS may have a strong German connection if memory serves me right.

Right. The owner there is German.
However, he seems to have got some Spanish influence regarding organizational etc stuff :lol:
By statppl
Spain is looking a much better option ... if weather and costs are the concerns.

Just got a response from QualityFly in Madrid. They have quoted around 7000 euro for PPL(A). Sounds too good to be true. :?: Fine prints :?:

Has anyone any experience with them? Unlike Aerodynamics, they seem to be in the business for long.
By statppl
Bumping it up ....

In a few days I'd check out three flight schools: QualityFly (Madrid), Aerodynamics and Group One Air/Hourbuilding (Malaga). Please share if you some experience with either one of them.

Of course, I'll post my first impression after the visit :)

:thumleft: n
By Geodex
Did you ever go check the guys at Fly in Spain?

I am thinking of starting there in summer (Semi Integrated ATPL)
By statppl
Geo, I checked out Qualityfly and Aerodynamics and decided for Aerodynamics. My experience so far has been largely positive.

I never checked out Fly in Spain Jerez.
By Flying-CiPO
statppl wrote:Geo, I checked out Qualityfly and Aerodynamics and decided for Aerodynamics. My experience so far has been largely positive.

Can you please elaborate on your experience?
I was also looking FIS and others. AT the moment I am very interedted in CAVOK in Hungary, they have what seems to be an unbeatable price for a PPL-A (6k all included on a 152FA).
THX
CIPO
By statppl
Here are a few positives concerning Aerodynamics:
+ Many planes (2xC172, 2 PA-28) and multi-engines too.
+ It has maintenance facilities at the airport, and therefore, the aircrafts are well-maintained. Every morning the planes are checked before anyone checks it out. If anyone notices something odd, it could be immediately fixed.
+ Many instructors. So, if a FI is sick or on holiday, the lessons can still go ahead.
+ Competitive price, 8K for PPL(A)
+ Operates from a small non-busy airport (LEAX). So, no time wasted in taxiing wait times.

and a few negatives
- Far from Malaga city, 50km if you don't want to stay in Velez-Malaga.
- high churn rate of the instructors (birds flying out of the next I guess :lol: )
- a bit strange admin rules
- operates at a non-controlled airport

Hmmm ....
I think that should be enough to get going ....
By Geodex
statppl wrote:Geo, I checked out Qualityfly and Aerodynamics and decided for Aerodynamics. My experience so far has been largely positive.

Thanks for the reply. I was in contact with Aerodynamics just last week. They seemed positive as well.

So I posted this same question on PPrune Forums and got a reply from a member on there too to check Flybyschool in Leon, Spain.

This is the website www.flybyschool.com Seems like some serious bargain for money here for people interested in Integrated and I have been in contact with their administrator Alex Alvarez. He seems like a nice person and has so far answered all my questions.

Considering the prices and service involved in this Flyby school I have decided to personally go down there and check it myself as I am in Norway. I will be doing this in March which I am currently arranging with Alex Alvarez.

I'll post my views when I am back from Spain, might help someone also to make a decision but March is a bit still far out.

I'll definitely reconsider Aerodynamics since I just read your views on them if I am not convinved by Flybyschool.