Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By purplefish
It got cancelled again due to the wing being damaged by the wind while the plane was on the airfield.

Now hoping to see if my voucher can be transferred to someone else so at least my friend can get the money back after a year of cancellations.
By ClothCat
Sorry to hear that.

If I have the correct organisation, their T's & C's state:

Vouchers for each trial flight are non-transferable, only the person named when the voucher is purchased can redeem the voucher with us.

Could you upgrade to their other aircraft? I'm sure this would be an additional cost to you though :(

Happy 41st Birthday!

ClothCat
By purplefish
Thanks :-) I have lost my nerve now to be honest. I've got to ring them Tuesday to see the outcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nerve?

It's flying in a light aeroplane. It's like driving a car but the view's better (and it's noisier!). Shouldn't need any nerve. It can seem a bit daunting, but as soon as the wheels leave the ground, you'll see that it's an incredible experience.

Stick with it, you'll appreciate it in the end. In the meantime why don't you arrange with someone here on the forum to take you up as a passenger so you can see what it's like before going up and giving it a go yourself?

Damaged by the wind? Crikey, you're really not having much luck! :D
By Hazel C
Purple,
Just because you have had a bad experience, don't give up the idea of light aircraft flying. You've had some bad experiences with this school for sure, but to even think of using the voucher your friend gave you, you must be a little interested in flying? Or at least the experience (you won't have to take control if you don't want to!) My first flight in a llight aircraft was great as I had control flying some aerobatics and touch and goes - that was unusual fro a first flight I admit! But what i'm trying to say is as far as having control is concerned, you will only do what you want to do, and remember, the FIs hands are never far from the stick!!!!! I am 98% sure you won't be offered the take off or landing either! :wink: .

If you start to learn to fly, its confidence more than nerve. I've had my ups and downs with training, and have thought of giving up many times (as these chaps on the forum know :wink: ) But i'm glad i've stuck with it. Find yourself a way to get airborne, even if its only once, and you'll see what we all mean!! :D
By AndyR
purplefish, please don't miss out on what is an amazing and grin inducing experience for most people. Most feel very nervous, even apprehensive, but love it once they are airborne.

Sounds like the school you have this voucher with could've handled it better though, especially as they are very likely aware you're a little anxious.
By purplefish
Thanks, can't help the way I feel at the end of the day. I'm booked in again for christmas eve. Ha ha fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!
By ClothCat
Good for you ... You'll love it!

My offer still stands.

Regards
ClothCat
By PeteSpencer
p fish.

Maybe you're right: the agonising over whether to fly or not and the ramifications over the past year from the mishandling of your voucher by the FBO may indicate it's the time to walk away and do something else, particularly as you indicated you have no plans to take it further and do a PPL>

It's clearly getting to you: drop the idea, get a clear head and reconsider in the future.

BTW my offer to you by PM in September does not expire. :thumright:

Good luck.

Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
Of course, that may be just what they *want* you to do. They sell the voucher and the more people they can get to not take the flight the better for them financially.

I think I'm being a bit cynical...

Keep at it! :D
By PeteSpencer
[Posted in error: Deleted]
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Of course, that may be just what they *want* you to do. They sell the voucher and the more people they can get to not take the flight the better for them financially.

Having been involved in voucher sales when I was at the Rally Driving School and operated some joint promo work with Wycombe at that time I can confirm that the 7% of unredeemed vouchers was fairly constant, but was also factored into the voucher costing.

100% take-up would be a disaster, but will never happen.

My brilliant 'Limo-Bonks' proposal was specifically designed as an operation to sell vouchers and at the same time to maximise no-shows. Pity it never happened.

Rob P
By mo0g
Pete S wrote:p fish.

Maybe you're right: the agonising over whether to fly or not and the ramifications over the past year from the mishandling of your voucher by the FBO may indicate it's the time to walk away and do something else, particularly as you indicated you have no plans to take it further and do a PPL>

It's clearly getting to you: drop the idea, get a clear head and reconsider in the future.

Exactly what I thought way back when he said about no plans to take it further, and seemingly trying to find reasons not to go.

I suspect the school will allow it to be transferred, particularly if he mentions no plans to do PPL and whoever he transfers it to, has - they will presumably jump at the chance of getting a new student.

Give it to a friend and go find a hobby more suited.