Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi,

I am 21 and it's my ambition to become a commercial pilot. As of yet, I have no flying experience but am going to start lessons in the near future. I'm studying for a degree in Computing at the moment and am going into my final year next year. Has anyone got any advice on where to start and what route to go down? I've researched sponsorship schemes and found that most people I ask say that there's little or no chance in getting one of these. Is it really that difficult to get sponsored? Also, i've seen some Airline Preparation Programmes around while researching on the internet (such as the Oxford Airline Preparation Program), are these worth looking into and how are they regarded by airlines?

I'd really appreciate any advice at all.

Thanks.

Rob
By BlueRobin
Yes it is.

Work out how you are you are going to raise the 50 odd grand + and manage the debt.
By Mr Proach
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi rob83, and welcome to the forum.

Airlines in general arent doing much sponsorship recruitment at the moment, although Brittania and a few others are offering very limited places, and places like CTC McAlpine are always worth keeping an eye on.

At this moment in time you have a few options available, and unfortunately they are self funding. The route can be a bit of a mine field depending on your circumstances. Try
http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
- this will answer most of your questions and you can do a search if you need more info.

Im starting my ATPL`s this summer, if you are still struggling to get the answers you want, PM me and ill do my best to answer them fo you.

Great answer to the question BR, must have impressed him on his first post.

Best Regards

MP
By Iainr
If you've got youth, health and education on your side then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't apply for anything that might be out there. It's always worth a shot.

There was a chap posting on these forums who got accepted by CTC McAlpine, so I can happen. :D

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
By Andrew G
Rob,
Difficult task becoming a commercial pilot, as you say sponsorship schemes are extremely thin on the ground. The recent TUI Britannia scheme, now closed, selected 200 peeps from 2000 application forms for stage 1, have further filtered this down to 48 for stage 2 next week, and a lucky 5 will end up in the scheme with BAE in Jerez this summer. So the odds aren't great, and for this you have to contribute
By Wbryce
theres always the modular route....the route that skint people take! (me!) :)

Im "trying" to pay money every week to do lessons, after that i continue to pay money every week for hour building, after the required hours are reached, i save money for ATPL's, after ATPLS is done, i acquire a bank loan to do CPL/IR, and FI rating, after that im one happy frozen atpl holder. (easily said than done of course! :) )
By Paul1978
Hi,

My own route is somewhere like this...

-JAA PPL
-Hour building
-FAA IR
-Start ATPL exams - distance learning
(where I'm at now)

-FAA CPL
-FAA CFI
-Works a s FAA CFI to approx 750 hours
-Return home, take the ATPL exams
-Convert CPL/IR to JAA
-Then have 800 - 1000 hours in the book, frozen atpl
-MCC course

All flying is done in the states upto CPL/IR conversion

This wasnt the route I orginally planned and is bit of a mix-match, but others Ive met personally (British CFI's in the states when I did my PPL) have taken this route and been employed.

By doing most of the flying in the states is going to be the cheapest option, but.... by going to the likes of Oxford, you network (make contacts) and they say its easier to get a job. Who knows, is it urban myth (sales boll*cks) or is it true, I don't know. All in all Im looking around the
By BlueRobin
Great answer to the question BR

Why thank you. :)

Point is if you can't manage the money, you won't succeed regardless of talent and effort.

This is more or less number 1 priority in my book.
By richnr
The financial burden is indeed somewhat great. But a lot depends on how much you really want to be a pilot. I have
By Flyingfemme
Anything is possible.

To be a commercial pilot in this day and age requires more than just being able to fly well...........you need to be a motivated problem-solver and a bit of a salesperson too.

Once you have the licences you still need to get that job - here is where the sales bit comes into it. A bit of creative thinking can quite useful as well - there are more jobs available than just right-seat in a charter tube.

There are, of course, no guarantees - I know one hopeful who has spent over
By rob83
Thanks a lot everyone for their advice. As i'm sure everyone knows it looks like it's going to be a long and expensive haul, but I'm very determined. Does anyone know if CTC McAlpine or any other sponsorship company want you to have any flight experience before appying? Is it a better idea to gain a PPL licence before you start applying for sponsorship?

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

rob83
By silentwitness
Hi Rob83

The CTC scheme is designed to instruct you from scratch. From what I've been told the instructors prefer to instruct you 'their way', so that they don't have to get you out of any habits they don't want you to have from previous instruction.

However, when it comes to the interview, I think you would need to have a damn good excuse for not having any flight experience at all. How can you decide if it's for you or not without getting up there and trying it? I don't think having a PPL would be a negative point to them, but it certainly is not required to be accepted onto the course! They are looking for your passion for flying and determination to achieve the best you can.

Good luck.