Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
:) As I've probably said before -- loads of people were good to me when I was learning and since as well. Loads of people have been generous with their time and their experience and their avgas in showing me what can be achieved.

It only seems like fair play really to give something back into that community for others to use, and while my resources in terms of actually flying are usually fairly strapped, I can most certainly waffle on... ;)
By leiafee
brand1068 wrote:Are you the Regia Leia ?

Upon a time!

Tricky to fit a nine foot spear into a light aircraft, mind you...
By leiafee
brand1068 wrote:Lol Thought so.

Yes. There can't be that many 'Leia's - in reenactment or flying, let alone both...

You need either a bigger aircraft or a smaller spear :) ... Can't you strap it to the leading edge ?

Not sure it'd do much for the the stall characteristics...
Leia hope you don't mind me posting a link to this thread

But as well as Leia's fab info there is a wealth of information here

http://www.slideshare.net/nyinyikyaw/ba ... el=3133139

that studes might find helps to augment thier knowledge as they progress. I just chose flight control as the example please look at the sidebar and the rest of the site for other related subjects
By RMurphy195
Hi Leia -

I picked up this thread some weeks ago, and found the info very useful, especially your "learning styles assessment" tips which helped me to re-learn how to learn/study for the style of the theory exams, leading to my successful attempt at Air Law last week (quick brag!)
By dannyav1
hi
just saw your article

ive just started learning to fly and did have doughts, but after reading that it put a smile on my face and i know il live my dream by flying one day

tank you

danny
By Mike Currill
I've just taken a few minutes to read your PDF and find it very encouraging. So much so that I agree with all the comments that this should be required reading.
By Paul_Sengupta
Looking back through the thread, there are lots of low count posters appearing in it which I haven't seen around since. I wonder how many of them are still flying? If they are, I wonder if they ever read the forum?
kingbing liked this
By Mike Currill
pilotjames1 wrote:leiafee, really good writing there, reads very well and very entertaining!

Good idea to get a bank account set aside...though my flying instructor told me to get the biggest overdraft possible and fly fly fly.

He had a point- consistency is a good thing. I often left it months until I could fly again, which made the course drag on, and in the end, be more expensive.
Been there, done that. The hold ups with my learning are work, weather, lack of instructor or lack of aircraft. Often a combination of two or more of those factors. I suppose I should be thankful that shortage of finances is not a problem I suffer from at the moment.
By pizzytinzel
I think I posted in this thread. I'm definitely still doing it - 7 hours and counting, with 3 different instructors. Thanks to Leia's (and others) advice to join the Devon Strut I've now flown 7 different aircraft! One of them all the way to Porthtowan and back :)

I just don't feel I ever have anything that interesting to say, though I might open a thread with musings about my training in it. Might help, it might not...