Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By lookingup
leiafee

as a complete "newbie" your write up is excellent and has all the possible questions in that one could be worried to ask. you've definitely given me something to think about!
it shows that anything really is possible.
By Night Hawk
It was a great read however are you in the way of maybe looking to make a guide for the CRP-1 and route planning??? just a thought

NH
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
berbles wrote:Leia
I came across your blog while you were still training, and you both inspired me and helped me to get my PPL. I am now getting the payback from all those hours I spent training, in terms of beautiful flights and great "firsts" (last Saturday was my first more than 250 mile flight, my first view of the Exmoor coast and my first experience of the incredibly calm conditions at 7,000ft over water - oh, and the first time the fire engines have pursued me down the runway after the tower at Oxford over-reacted to a loose cowl fastener!)

Wonderful thing about flying -- there's always lots more "first times"!

You ever thought of instructing? You have well thought through ways of explaining things.

In the dim and distant future when I've got a gazillion hours and the disposable income to spend on a rating that won't make me a living and I can do for the love of it maybe. :wink:

Night Hawk wrote:It was a great read however are you in the way of maybe looking to make a guide for the CRP-1 and route planning??? just a thought

I did think of putting some specifics in for the various skills and subjects, but it was already getting long. I may do more. Next time it's bucketing down and I want to fly and can't most likely!
By soaring747
Hi Leiafee!

You never fail to impress with your writings!...maybe the next JKRowling - aviators style (aviatrix for formalitiy!)

It's pretty good having your blog to keep a close eye on.

I had my second round of circuits last week and well it felt like "one of those" lessons, strangely enough though, where i'd normally be beating myself up after a thow around like that, I was genuinly happy with how it all went. (I managed 1/5 landings with no major help :oops: I'm loving the circuit!

Have landed myself with a cold this weekend and have had to cancel this sunday :( - the weather doesn't look too good, so hopfully I wont be too disappointed!

Keep us entertained!
By leiafee
I found circuitbashing quite satisfying in and odd sort of way -- where you were doing the same thing every time, it was easier to see the small improvements when they came!
By Vlad the Imbiber
Your guide is splendid Leia. I'm sure it will help any student who reads it.
By RogD
Leiafee,

First class and congratulations, I can relate to every word of it from when I did my own training. It clearly ought to be published and issued to newbe pilot trainees at flying schools.

RogD
By Panio
As a newbie could I ask a question about how up to date my older PPL books are? I am currently studying for my exams but I bought my Trevor Thom books in 2000 (sadly it never worked out back then). Are they up to date or will I have to cough up some more dosh for the newist editions?
Thanks
And thanks to leiafee for his "How To". It certainly is very useful.
By RogD
Hi Panio,

May I suggest that you get the latest ones. Most of the stuff in them is the same as it's always been, but there have been updates here and there, and as you want to commit what you read to memory, you are in danger of memorising the pre-updated information. I was caught out by this when I took my written exams (air law, RT etc.). I know there's a cost involved, but I think that you will be happy in that you are learning the latest information.

P.S Don't forget CAP 413 Radio Telephony, free download off the CAA site.

RogD
By leiafee
If you're on a budget I'd say get the latest airlaw definately but the rest aren't quite as critical.

Aeroplane engines for example certainly haven't changed much in the past few years (or indeed past 50 or so in some cases!)

Have a look at the practice papers and see if what you've got seems to cover it.

(Oh and another money scrounger tip... the r/t book I never bought at all, just learned it from CAP 413 which is available online)
By Crash one
Leia.
Absolutely spot on, I've just finished NPPL & your advice hit every button.
It should be nailed to every flying club notice board, & issued to every wannabee as part of the kit.
Trevor
By Tommy
a terrific help all round.

The bit about "thinking you've forgetten stuff" is what I went through.
After only about 5 hours in, I was rained off for 5/6 weeks. Then when I did get a lesson, there was a new instructor.
I came down after an hour thinking that I had never flown before ! The instructor assured me that it was normal, & that I was like any other 5/6 hour learner,,,,, but it didn't stop me feeling like a right prat :oops: !

Am still only 10 hours in & loving every minute of it,,,,,,,, come on weather !

thanks Leia
By keybuk
Tommy wrote:Am still only 10 hours in & loving every minute of it,,,,,,,, come on weather !

thanks Leia

I'm anxiously waiting for my first cancellation, which was supposed to be my first true lesson!

Due to be flying at mid-day, the weather forecast is a little variable and border-line; nice cross-wind too.
By keybuk
keybuk wrote:
Tommy wrote:Am still only 10 hours in & loving every minute of it,,,,,,,, come on weather !

thanks Leia

I'm anxiously waiting for my first cancellation, which was supposed to be my first true lesson!

Happily the weather was "okay" at the field, and was good enough for flying in. Hurrah!
By Tommy
well done keybuk,,,,,, the first lesson is great,,,,, then it gets better !
My next one is s'posed to be monday 30th,,,, bur the weather has been ghastly down here.
I'll have to push in as many lessons as I can when the weather allows,,,, just to keep up !
cheers