Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For a while I've been meaning to put together a little compilation of "stuff that helped" while I was learning to fly. I got around to it in the end (almost a year after getting the PPL...) and the result is now here(PDF).

It's less a guide to flying skills and more a guide to a few bits that have worked for me, and stuff I've gathered through the 'day job', to improve the process of actually *learning* a new skill (flying in this case, but there's a lot of general stuff in there too -- "learning" is a skill in itself!)

Feedback and/or brickbats welcomed.

Might be useful /interesting to current students. A certain amount of it will be stuff I've rabbited on about here, mind you!
geehils, Bobcro, WasteBin and 6 others liked this
By dunny
Very good Leiafee

I have always though that the other good learning aid would be a straightforward crib sheet of the main flying manouvers and I always meant to get around to doing it.

It could also cover the main mnemonics that people use - it wouldnt be perfect but it would be a good aid.

D
ZeenoTheInventor liked this
By Keef
Leia, that's excellent! It ought to be printed and given to every new student!

I reckon a sticky, for a while at least.
By mmcp42
excellent
I specially liked
There's nothing wrong with orbiting a nice distinctive landmark while you
figure out which nice distinctive landmark it is!
T6Harvard liked this
By BlueRobin
I'll remember this if I ever get to do a FI rating and use it 8)
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
mmcp42 wrote:I specially liked
There's nothing wrong with orbiting a nice distinctive landmark while you
figure out which nice distinctive landmark it is!

Yes, well that was from experience! I flew up the wrong valley on my one of my solo nav-exs and circled a little reservoir until I could figure out which one it was and work out where I was. (only a few miles off track as it ended up but the terrain meant the landmark I was actually looking for was hiding in a dip)
By mmcp42
leiafee wrote:...the terrain meant the landmark I was actually looking for was hiding in a dip

yes, I've noticed terrain doing that a lot, too!
By berbles
Leia
I came across your blog while you were still training, and you both inspired me and helped me to get my PPL. I am now getting the payback from all those hours I spent training, in terms of beautiful flights and great "firsts" (last Saturday was my first more than 250 mile flight, my first view of the Exmoor coast and my first experience of the incredibly calm conditions at 7,000ft over water - oh, and the first time the fire engines have pursued me down the runway after the tower at Oxford over-reacted to a loose cowl fastener!)

This guide is an absolutely excellent survival guide for wannabe PPLs. It is spot on and I wouldn't change a thing. I have already sent it to 2 people I know who are thinking of learning to fly. You ever thought of instructing? You have well thought through ways of explaining things.
By derekf
Leia,
Very good.
Have given this to Mrs derekf who is now embarking down that road
By mmcp42
Derek,
are you going to persuade the lovely Tammy to keep a "learning log"?

br
Mike
By derekf
Mike - can't really see that happening, but you never know :wink:

Perhaps I should tell her not to keep one and that might do the trick :roll:
By mmcp42
:D
By mmcp42
very odd - double-posted,
deleted the last one

and the thread disappeared? :shock: