Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By davidair
thanks for posting that leiafee! i'm sure it will be helpful once i finally get around to starting my lessons (hopefully in summer/autumn this year, have started to seriously look at local schools, but the winter weather isn't playing nice right now)

was up with a friend in a cessna 152 on monday, what fun :D and he had me do a right turn, and said i wasn't bad for having never tried it before :)
By pilotjames1
leiafee, really good writing there, reads very well and very entertaining!

Good idea to get a bank account set aside...though my flying instructor told me to get the biggest overdraft possible and fly fly fly.

He had a point- consistency is a good thing. I often left it months until I could fly again, which made the course drag on, and in the end, be more expensive.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
pilotjames1 wrote:Good idea to get a bank account set aside...though my flying instructor told me to get the biggest overdraft possible and fly fly fly.

He had a point- consistency is a good thing. I often left it months until I could fly again, which made the course drag on, and in the end, be more expensive.

Mmm. It's an opinion.

Personally I wanted to avoid doing that -- because how was I going to be able to afford to pay money back and still keep flying? The thought of the frustration at passing and then having to cut back was not tempting! I wanted to flying MORE after passing -- not less!
By greggj
leiafee wrote:Mmm. It's an opinion.

Personally I wanted to avoid doing that -- because how was I going to be able to afford to pay money back and still keep flying? The thought of the frustration at passing and then having to cut back was not tempting! I wanted to flying MORE after passing -- not less!

This is actually a very good point. Unless you want (and could) to start working for an airline/commercially after passing your license, so you can fly and pay back the loan at the same time, this is not a good idea.
Try to pace it , so that you have some backup cash. I do fly for 2-3 months, than a month break to build up resources again, etc.
(only did one iteration of that cycle so far...).
By TheAardvark
Great advice Leia. I am a new student and new to this excellent forum which is already a lot of the questions I have in my head! Thanks :-)
By bluetoffee
Thanks a lot leiafee, there's some great info in there for newbies like myself who are considering PPL and it's good to have some friendly advice. It's inspired me to get out and do something about my training now as the last time I flew in small planes was during my school days which seem like a distant memory now. I haven't really got any connections with anyone that flies, although one of my fellow schoolmates Ben Murphy is (or was?) a Squadron Leader in the Red Arrows! Doubt if he remembers me much though...
By Alcorn56
My first lesson this Monday,and this has helped a lot . Its very well written,well thought out and a good read.Thank you ,i have downloaded and printed a copy out. Alan :thumleft: :thumleft:
By Rob P
Leia.

It's been a long time since I visited this, so I downloaded the pdf again. It just keeps getting better and better over time (and your hard work)

You really are a great ambassador for grass roots flying

:D

Rob P