Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Guest
Brilliant stuff! These diary entries bring back a lot of very pleasent memories. Keep it up.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Your story and pictures make me want to go flying now...shame I have other things to do :cry: .

Ian
By Guest
I could be persuaded ;-)
By WendyG
Great account of your lesson Mister Monty. I'm balancing between being green with envy and scared silly at the thought of all the things I'll have to learn to do. :)

I can't wait to read about your third lesson.

Wendy
By Bobcat
Brilliant account MM!!! Keep it up! :D

I think I might have a very urgent business meeting in Elstree this afternoon!
By Steve H
What an excellent idea and a very good account MM! Wish now that I had done the same. I do now keep the tracklog from the GPS of each flight and write up point of interest about the flight - makes a nice keepsake!

I well remember how "modestly" confident I was at doing the checks when the instructor was standing there but how lost I felt when first doing them on my own - how I forgot things even though they were noted on the checklist and had to do them again etc.

Look forward to your future instalments
By George
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good account - have you been reading my diary!? Reminded me of being asked to take the a/c round to the pumps after the check and of forgetting to turn on the fuel. Engine conked out halfway round and left with very red face! Flooded it trying to restart to make matters worse! Argghh!
By Darth_Bovine
Monty,

Great stuff keep it up.

Never let anyone tell you that each small piece of progress is not a major milestone. They'd be lying if they said they don't recall being elated after their fist takeoff, landing, solo... etc... (even small things like your first solo check).

sigh! I remember my fist lesson, Take off etc... (goes into flashback mode...)
:D

That's the great thing about flying, always so much to learn and accomplish even after you have your wings!

Clear skys!
-DB
By TYRO999
Great recount MM. Why not publish it as an addemdum to the Trevor Thom Books? (I'm sure Transair would sell it!)

Watch out for the red pole in the middle of the field.

"Doesn't time fly when you're up there"!
By JIM
Top piccies Mr. M.

Is that a fly on the windscreen or were you about to have an 'interesting' experience with a jet Ranger :wink:

Done the same with the lights, pitot heat and fuel: still do sometimes :oops:

Saturday just gone I forgot the keys (again!! :oops: ) and put the keys to the off position on the first mag check..........(I blame ware on the lock/key/barrel....that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!). Did the rest OK though and I was allowed to do three circuits on my own :D (I didn't throw-up this time !!!!!- pure joy and big smile :D )

Must admit, It took me a LONG time to really get used to take offs :?
Handy tip from a not very experienced student, when you are happy with doing the take off, commentate on what you are doing on the take off roll e.g 'RPM ...Ts and Ps green....airspeed live....40kts, 50, 65 rotate...' Your instructor my well do this- copy him/her (If not now, they will when you get into the circuit i suspect).
You might be doing those things in your head, but your instructor will soon need to know that. It's a bit like on a driving lesson/test, positioning you mirror so that you have to make a slight but noticeable movement of your head to check the mirror.

Don't bother writing the short account for the next lesson; more details and piccies please!!
By Jenni Morton
MM

Sounds as if you are doing great! - fancy not steering with the knees -so you could take more photos!

You are giving the rest of us who have to start a lot to live up to!
Keep the reports coming - I am sure the scary feeling on my tum will go!
Great stuff when is the next lesson?

Jenni
By Mister Monty
2D
Thanks. I actually enjoyed reliving the lesson again. It'll keep me going until my next lesson. Actually the Student flyout comes round before my next lesson. :D

G-BLEW
Did you go flying in the end? It was partly reading these types of accounts that decided me to start the lessons. I couldn't handle everyone else talking about flying while I was stuck on the ground.

2D
Damn. If I lived a bit closer I might have tried to persuade you with the offer of lunch or something.

WP
I think that's a good idea. I've had much enjoyment from writing about my first three lessons, when my little boys are old enough they may enjoy these little accounts.

Wendy
You have nothing to be scared of. By the sounds of it you're a well read sort of chap. I think that having the theory under your belt will stand you in good stead when the time comes. (Crossing my fingers that it's the next couple of weeks or so)

Bobcat
Thanks. So how did your 'urgent business meeting' go? :wink:

Steve H
I was thinking of making a checklist to ensure that I run through the checklist properly. A checklist checklist. Hmmmmm? No. I don't think that'll catch on. I thnk I'll probably continue with the diary type thing and when if I eventually qualify, I'll always try to take someone up with me, if for no other reason than to work the camera. 8)

George
I did more than read your diary. I copied it. I just changed names and places! :twisted:

This engine starting thing of mine is going to be my trade mark. I can see it being a good wind up for my instructor. That said, it might backfire on me (no pun intended) when they give me a bill for the broken engine. :lol:

Darth
Thank you. I'm glad you said that because it's exactly the way I feel. Otherwise the entire process of learning to fly would be so overwhelming. It's all still very alien to me so each new thing I do makes me feel that bit more comfortable in my new environment.

It's nice to be able to come here and share things ike this because no one else I talk to about it has the first clue about what it feels like. 8)

TYRO999
I'll keep a look out for that red pole. I might even ask the flying instructor if he can show it to me. *Snarf snarf*. I hope this is not the aviation equivalent of the 'golden rivet'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm frightened to comment on Transair in case they decide to sue me. LOL.

The time certainly does fly. Althought the poor people living under the training area probably don't think so :twisted: Hehehehehe
By Mister Monty
JIM wrote:Is that a fly on the windscreen or were you about to have an 'interesting' experience with a jet Ranger :wink:

Errrm? Yeah! I think that actually is a Jet Ranger. LMAO. It could well have been and I wouldn't have noticed. Apparently I missed about half the traffic :oops: It was very busy for a mid week day though. I'm just glad I can chose not to fly on a weekend. It must be pure hell?

I dare say I'll do the same again with the lights particularly when my work load increases and I'm expected to do more. It's very easy to become distracted!

I'm just waiting to do the same with the mag checks. It's going to happen. It's just all set up for me to do it, I'm surprised I haven't already.

That's great news on the solo circuits minus the chundered pot noodle. Is it still a strange feeling to be flying solo?

That's good advice about the commentary. I've tried to do it a little bit but because I don't know the terminology yet it sounds like complete drivel and I keep confusing the terms. So whilst I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm telling the FI something completely different. He probably hears my commenty as, "I'm a total pillock who doesn't know what he's doing, you'd do well never to climb into an aircraft with me ever again." :lol:

I will try my hardest to stick with the long detailed accounts then. I've been waiting for someone to jump on my back and shout BORING, but it hasn't happened yet :?

I'll drop by your website later to see whether you've added to it yet.

Cheers JIM.

MM