Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By AndrewC
Having spent what seems like an age in the circuit (actualy about 10 weeks), both dual and solo, I had my first lesson going back out into the local area yesterday.

What a great feeling! :D It reminded me why I'm doing all this hard work. Almost as good a feeling as my first solo.

It also brought home how much there is to revise - hadn't done a FREDA check in ages, and the pre-landing checks had become a little "rehearsed" so it was good to have to go through them all before rejoining on base.
By BlueRobin
Ah, an example of an aforementioned "brick wall".

Now the build-up to the solo NAV starts - you need good weather for that. Good luck!
By wonko the sane
It's funny - I spent so long in the cicuit, that I'd pretty much forgotten how to fly outside of one. It sounds odd, but, for example, I'd forgotten basic ascending and descending. Of course you do this in a circuit, but it's always the same - slow to below the white, slop the flaps to 20, slow to 70knot, power to turn onto finals at 700ft, yadda, yadda, yadda... you really forget how to do anything else !

This is at Elstree, so when you start going out and about you're landing straight-in - no circuits. Then one day I had to do a go around, and went into the training circuit. Well, I hadn't been there for months (at least that's how it felt, but certainly weeks) and felt like I had no idea where I was or what I needed to do - but it all came back pretty quickly (although I almost had to do another go-around !!)
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I remember having to do two hours solo circuits at Exeter before proceeding to the next lesson. It seemed like an age...

What I do with my students is no more than three circuit sessions without going local.
It's good to take a break and to review general handling.
Sometimes a review of slow flight helps the student with the hold off etc, and a few yaw control exercises is also useful.

A local flight of 15 minutes before the next circuit session is often very good for improving the students handling.
By wonko the sane
MichaelP wrote:A local flight of 15 minutes before the next circuit session is often very good for improving the students handling.

Agreed. Every now and then I'd specifically ask to get out of the circuit for half a lesson - just to stop me going stir crazy (like I said - I spent a long time there !). I'd definitely recommend everyone takes a regular break from circuit training.
By AndrewC
I wish I'd thought of breaking out of circuit practice for a half lesson to have some fun and remind myself why I'm spending all this money :roll:

I'm now getting back into the hang of things, but it seems like a long time since I learned all that stuff about lookout, FREDA checks etc.

Roll on the navex!
By Guest
During my 5 (5x1) hours solo circuits I was so tempted to stray out of the circuit and come back just to find out if I could still turn right. :lol: