Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Doing the checks before flying yesterday the alitmeter was reading just over 1000' before I set it to zero ready to go (Pembrey's only 15' elevation). I thought it passing odd as I usually only have to tweak it hundred foot or so, even when it's the first flight of the day.

Found out why when the a/g bloke passed the QNH --1040. (compared to 99something last weekend)

A very non-CAP413 chat about it then ensued as he asked us to check it tallied with what our altimeter said because it was so unusal he was half wodering if his kit was on the fritz.

Anyone better than met at me know why it's so unusually high? I remember all the effects of highs from the exam swotting but not what causes the pressure variation in the first place!
By Moli
I really envey you guys that are learning to fly near a coastline..... makes everything look so much more interesting and varied :roll:

Regards Moli

Keep It Rubber Down Bubble Up
By leiafee
I really felt for anyone trying to fly today--lovely blue sky above but the FOG! :shock: How frustrating.

I've been unreasonably, lucky lately with weather over the past six months though. (don't talk about the previous year!)

Unfortunately I'm coming to that stage of the training where "good enough for circuits" is sadly no longer good enough, so i'm sure I'll get my share of cancellations while trying to get the nav done.
By Rob P
Yup. I set 1041 yesterday, the highest I can recall in seventeen years of flying.

Rob P
By leiafee
Moli wrote:I really envey you guys that are learning to fly near a coastline..... makes everything look so much more interesting and varied :roll:

And easy to find! :lol:
By MCM
Moli wrote:learning to fly near a coastline.....

there is a downside, Shoreham loses otherwise flyable days to sea fog sometimes... :(