Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

As others have said it's likely just that the instructor reacted faster than you did, but another possible way to look at it is as part of your progression on the "four stages of competence" model (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence).

Some of the terms in the model can sound quite unkind in everyday speech, but basically what it suggests is that as you get more experience at something, you might initially perceive yourself as getting worse / missing things, but actually it's just that you are now starting to notice / realise things you're not getting quite right, that previously you had no idea about. Over time you then progress to the point where you can consciously get things right, and eventually to the point where it is unconscious (or muscle memory as it's often described)...
rikur_, pipvac, T6Harvard liked this
By Cessna571
There’s always the chance your instructor corrected it without meaning to!

I put the flaps up after landing recently, when I was passenger with another pilot in an aircraft I usually fly, It was just automatic, I had to apologise.