Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Yes, I guess if you are prone to entering the wrong squawk it might be better to ignore the explicit instruction of an under pressure controller to stand by. :D

We didn't resolve the issue last time (other than to agree it was a nonsense instruction.) I doubt we'll resolve it this time either.

Rob P
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:

> And I would set the squawk and stand by until told to 'Pass your message', in which I
> would confirm the squawk I had set.
>
> Neither of us can be faulted, though I would hold I was righter as I had complied
> with the instruction AND read back the Squawk, all be it the latter not immediately.

Yes, you might well be righter. I think I prefer your option.

"Squawk 1234 and standby" is a perfectly sensible thing to require for obvious reasons - they want to see where you are but can't chat right now.

There ought to be something explicit in CAP413 to get over the contradiction.
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:

> The last thing the controller wants is to see the wrong squawk appear on
> his screen - he may already have issued your wrongly dialled in squawk to
> another a/c he's controlling- and have to waste further time on getting it
> corrected.
>
> So the correct response to 'squawk 3456 and standby' is to read it back
> immediately and correctly, then enter the given squawk code, then keep
> yer gob shut and standby till further comms received. :wink:

Um. Maybe I've changed my mind back again.
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
> Yes, I guess if you are prone to entering the wrong squawk it might be
> better to ignore the explicit instruction of an under pressure controller
> to stand by. :D
>
>
> Rob P

Don'tcha just luurve a good reductio ad absurdum? :lol:
By riverrock
You can also request QDMs from different stations and work out your own position - but I wouldn't recommend doing that if you might be near controlled airspace (and not all controllers have that facility).
riverrock wrote:
> You can also request QDMs from different stations and work out your own
> position - but I wouldn't recommend doing that if you might be near
> controlled airspace (and not all controllers have that facility).

I rarely, if ever, make use of a VDF service from an airfield and I would be interested to know which of the UK based airfields offering a VDF are actually close enough to obtain a reasonable triangulation from.
By riverrock
Andrew Sinclair wrote:
> I rarely, if ever, make use of a VDF service from an airfield and I would be
> interested to know which of the UK based airfields offering a VDF are actually close
> enough to obtain a reasonable triangulation from.
That presumably depends where you are? You do of course only need two stations (and requesting a QTE / True bearing is easier to plot).

Also if you are already on a clear line feature, that can be the other side of the triangle - so you only need one bearing.
I don't know how many ground stations still have VDF facilities - and whether the info is visible to all controllers at those stations (such as approach controllers who may be remotely located).
By Irv Lee
[usermention=9697]@malcolmfrost[/usermention] speaks wise words.
[usermention=10739]@riverrock[/usermention] why qdm? , i would advise against a qdm on the practical test if you wish to establish position from vdf.... The examiner might start doubting that you understand what a qdm is!
In the interests of research, I've searched the AIP and there appear to be 17 airfields that are listed as providing VDF. They have a good geographical spread, Scilly to Inverness, Lydd to Stornoway, but not Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted Birmingham or Manchester.
They are actually shown on the 1/500k (good luck without glasses!) but not on SD, so a use for it at last. :D
Andrew Sinclair liked this
Call up your local RAF unit (Yanks seem to get confused) or London in a pinch and ask for a training position fix with a vector to your next point. They get something unexpected and interesting to do and you aren't lost any more. That worked for me on my cross country test and after confessing to the CFI I still passed with a thumbs up for the initiative (there's always a first time :) ) .

I suspect that nobody really cares that you're lost unless it's actually a problem so don't waste airtime with your life story. If you can't get anyone's attention make it into a practice pan ;)
By Paul_Sengupta
malcolmfrost wrote:
> They are actually shown on the 1/500k (good luck without glasses!) but not
> on SD, so a use for it at last. :D

Is it me or are the white horses not on Sky Demon either? I used to love a bimble around looking at the white horses. I passed a couple going to/from Wadswick on the weekend. I thought the other day that I should really have another local flight where I go white horse spotting. I'd have to use a real map though!