Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[usermention=862]@TopCat[/usermention]

Instruments (t’s & p’s, DI/compass, QFE set)
Landing light on
Carb heat check
Hatches and harnesses

Loads of other variations. Longest I’ve seen as below. I’d guess you’d be calling late downwind after all that.

O-B-U-M-M-M-P-F-F-I-T-C-H-H

O - Open carburettor heater
B - Brakes free
U - Undercarriage down and locked
M - Mixtures
M - Magnetos
M - Master switch
P - Propeller Pitch
F - Fuel
F - Flaps
I - Instruments
T - Temperatures and Pressures
C - Close carburettor heat
H - Hatches or doors
H - Harnesses
By Milty
TopCat wrote:
> WelshRichy wrote:
>
> > E - Temperatures and Pressures in the Green and noting any Trends in the
> > readings. Carb Heat Check (though I put the carb heat on before starting F
>
> Does E include mixture in current FI thinking, or is that just top of climb checks?
>
> I re-lean at the end of any significant altitude change, but otherwise I leave it
> mostly alone so including it in periodic enroute checks seems a bit pointless.
>
> It's only going to change in the cruise if I confuse the knob with the carb heat, and
> if I do that, it sure as heck ain't going to need any checking.

So far, it seems that leaning is not taught to much u less others have experienced otherwise. Not a lot of my teaching has been above 3000 anyway. I have asked about it and instructor said he’ll go through it but indicated that clubs/schools often don’t like to do it. More harm can be done by getting it leaned wrong than leaving it a bit rich in the majority of UK places was the inference.
By TopCat
Milty wrote:

> So far, it seems that leaning is not taught to much u less others have experienced
> otherwise. Not a lot of my teaching has been above 3000 anyway. I have asked about it
> and instructor said he’ll go through it but indicated that clubs/schools often don’t
> like to do it. More harm can be done by getting it leaned wrong than leaving it a bit
> rich in the majority of UK places was the inference.

:roll:

But it's not your fault you're being told that. I'll save my rant till one of the instructors of this parish stops by and attempts the same snowflake justification, and it would probably be better not on the student forum too. :wink:

Standard disclaimer: instructor is God, I'm just a guy off the internet.
Last edited by TopCat on Sun May 01, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Milty
In fairness, he fully agrees with teaching it and practicing it in the right way with the right aircraft. I think the conversation also strayed into the benefits of renting wet or dry and the issues of over-leaning if renting dry.
By TopCat
Milty wrote:
> I think the conversation also strayed
> into the benefits of renting wet or dry and the issues of over-leaning if
> renting dry.

Dear god, talk about solving the wrong problem.

If renters are intentionally over-leaning to reduce their fuel bill (I hadn't thought of that, what complete aarses some people are), then charge based on Hobbs or Tach.

Renting dry is fraught with problems, as it means everyone has to fill it up at the end to see how much fuel they've used.

Which is daft from a W&B point of view, and they have to get back in time to make sure the pumps are still open.
By Milty
[usermention=25762]@pipvac[/usermention] sorry for stealing your thread a bit. Not intended. Still fascinates me that in such a regulated industry that we all seem to be taught different things.
pipvac liked this
By cotterpot
Longest I’ve seen as below. I’d guess you’d be
> calling late downwind after all that.
>
> O-B-U-M-M-M-P-F-F-I-T-C-H-H

It is worth remembering it is a pre landing check and once you are away from the circuit you can do it at any time on the way to rejoin. Might want carb heat and put your landing light(s) on - that's not in the list as an L, on downwind or some appropriate location :thumright:
Milty liked this
By TopCat
Milty wrote:

> O-B-U-M-M-M-P-F-F-I-T-C-H-H
>
> B - Brakes free

Question: Given that I've never accidentally applied the parking brake in flight, and I can't imagine I ever will, what's the point of checking that the brakes are free? What does that even mean?

I can see the value of perhaps pushing on the brakes, to make sure there hasn't been a sudden massive hydraulic leak that would render the brakes useless - it would be quite handy to know that before landing - it could be a hell of a shock otherwise.

So what does the B actually refer to in current FI vogue?
By Milty
As taught, I believe it’s supposed to be check parking brake is off (more than likely as it doesn’t work on the ground in our school 152’s) and dab the toe brakes to check for back pressure.
By TopCat
VRB_20kt wrote:
> Given the efficiency of aircraft parking brakes it’s conceivable that you
> could take off with it on. Having the parking brake set could lead to a
> somewhat interesting landing.

If you could take off with it set, and not notice a huge reduction in performance, I doubt that you'd notice anything at all if you landed with it still set.

Mine are good enough to prevent movement completely for power checks at 1800rpm. It moves a bit with much more, but I'd never get off the ground.