Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Long story short...

- I'm 33 years old.
-I sat my GCSE's around 2004/2005.

My grades:
Science (double award) - x2 C's
English Language - C
English Lit - E
Art - C
Music - C
Maths - F

When I was 20 I began studying law.
My results:

10 Level 3 (A-Level equivalent) certificates in 10 areas of law
5 Level 6 (Degree equivalent) certificates in 5 areas of law.

I have practiced as a litigation lawyer for 8 years.

The trend here being that I performed much better in academic life once I left school.

What would you reckon my chances are of ever being accepted for ATPL training?

Thanks
You can but ask but it also depends if you are going for being sponsored / connected to a particular airline during an integrated course. There are lots of shapes of course - if paying yourself there are courses with no entry requirements.
I would say - with no maths qualification or background, there are parts of any course you may struggle with.
You'll be fine.

The theory required is more about cramming stuff in and regurgitating this at the time of the examination, than understanding complex concepts. I have yet to meet anyone doing the CPL/ATPL and failing them when they've put in enough learning time.
ATPLs cost a lot and you may not earn much when you have one. The “academicals” are very different to those you have mastered. Are you scientific? If you are a great lawyer it might be better to earn lots of money that way, buy a jet and use it to visit your minted clients!
Personally I’d consider carefully abandoning the day-to-day variation and interest of litigation in exchange for sitting screen watching in a metal tube for hours at a time.

Each to his/her own but I would expect lawyering and privately running a nice aeroplane to be quite a satisfying option.
Flyin'Dutch', Sooty25 liked this
As others have said. You clearly have the intellect, so all you need is determination, stamina, and a whole lot of money and you can do it.

I 'm a commercial lawyer and enjoy the pressure, variety, and challenges of each day. The thought of sitting there for hours a day 'monitoring', doing shifts, and being perpetually tired for poor remuneration doesn't appeal to me. Private flying is pure joy for me and I wouldn't ever want to tarnish that. Each to their own.

It's a big decision, lots to think about!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately, I'm based in the UK and the salary for a personal injury litigator isn't great
at a small firm. I don't particularly like my job, and having grown up in the countryside on a flight path of an international airport, most my childhood involved watching planes / flying RC planes / going to air shows - and I'm still messing around on MS Flight Simulator (from the 90's until now).

Over the past 2 years, I've been slowly reading though the Air Pilot's Manual series
as I have intended to start the PPL for a couple of years now, but my salary doesn't really allow for such expense without making disproportionate sacrifices.

Nevertheless, I did find an airline that has launched a sponsored/integrated program for pilot training. Whilst it doesn't suggest it's an absolute requirement, parts of the brochure do lean towards a preference for good GCSES, particularly in maths and science.

My GCSE'S were 17/18 years ago and I'm hoping that this wouldn't be a deal breaker after such a long time.
Quanta Mechanic wrote:

> My GCSE'S were 17/18 years ago and I'm hoping that this wouldn't be a deal
> breaker after such a long time.

It may be that your age may be more of a problem. They like to 'invest' in people they can hang on to for a very long time and if you are early/mid thirties they may well prefer to look at those who are 10 years younger - but never tried is always missed.

Good luck.
A le Ron liked this
Would you consider taking the required / preferred GCSEs or equivalent now??

More importantly... As a few folk have said, you may well find that flying a light aeroplane is fun enough, rather than aiming for a career. Start with that and see how much fun that is?!

Yes, you need money to pay for that. Options include learning in a cheaper-to-hire fixed wing microlight such as the Ikarus C42 or the Skyranger. Don't let anyone put you off taking some lessons, even if a career change is not immediately possible. It's an itch you have to scratch.

You can earn money additional to your current job with a bit of imagination (albeit whilst ensuring your are not breaking your covenants) or, work towards changing the day job. A friend of mine makes a decent living advising micro-businesses on employment law. Whilst I appreciate it's not your current speciality it's not as big a leap as going from poor GSCE grades to getting a law degree so I'm sure you'd have no problem diversifying.

Ultimately though, it's an expensive thing to do, flying, and there is no way round that, I'm afraid. Have a look at Flyer.co.uk sections on learning to fly and careers for lots of useful info.

Find a niche business that you can fit round flying lessons and go for it!
Quanta Mechanic wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, I'm based in the UK and the salary for a personal injury
> litigator isn't great at a small firm.

Maybe time to look for a move in the same industry, there's only so many rungs you can climb in a small firm, and there's usually already someone on the next one up. "dead man's shoes".

> I don't particularly like my job,

I often think that about what I do, but I've actually narrowed it down to some of the people I have to deal with, rather than the subject matter.

> having grown up in the countryside on a flight path of an international airport, most my
> childhood involved watching planes / flying RC planes / going to air shows

Have you considered Air Traffic Control?

> - and I'm still messing around on MS Flight Simulator (from the 90's until
> now).
>

use your FlightSim and do a real time Heathrow to New York night flight and see how exciting it feels.
T6Harvard liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
> It may be that your age may be more of a problem. They like to 'invest' in people
> they can hang on to for a very long time and if you are early/mid thirties they may
> well prefer to look at those who are 10 years younger - but never tried is always
> missed.
>
> Good luck.
Alternatively, some big companies like personnel whohave no chance of earning a full pension; keeps down future obligations.
Stick with lawyering: you'll never be furloughed..................... :roll:

Or sacked/laid off in the next pandemic.

My situation as a youngster was only slightly similar to yours in that during GCEs I was hell bent on flying for a living (my dad had been a RAF Nav in WW. 2) . I had done the RAF cadet gliding course applied for a Flying Scholarship and even covered my options by applying to Hamble.
Then my A level biology master at school persuaded my parents and thence me that this was not a good career path and suggested an alternative career which he thought would suit me better.

Reluctantly I took the alternative career advice : the training was bloody hard, lifestyle disjointed and the pay and conditions were sh ite but I got there in the end .

Looking back over those 60 years, now retired on a good pension I have no regrets and even scratched my flying itch by gaining a PPL at 48, a share in an aeroplane at 50 and an IR at 66.

Just my reasoning behind my initial comment at the beginning. :wink:
Sooty25, Flyin'Dutch' liked this