Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By twinotterifr
Hello everyone,

I am converting from an EASA part FCL to a UK CAA license. I am required to sit for the FRTOL examinations, the administrative part & paperwork has been more of a pain than the actual exams itself.

I am required to sit for the UK communications written exam and was told to register a UK portal account, which i have. However, how do i go about registering for the comms written paper as i am not entirely sure if it is under PPL or e-exams?

Furthermore, regarding the RT practical, what exactly is involved with the 'scenario-based set of questions' part, does anybody have any examples as i cannot find any sources for this.

Thanks
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Contact Irv Lee http://www.higherplane.co.uk/rt.html

Ref the comms exam, not 100% sure that you need to do the theory or just the practical. I think if you do need to do the theory, you ma need to register with a local flying school as a location where you can take the exam under controlled conditions.

If you need to do a bit of revision, I’d recommend EasyPPL Groundschool where you can sign up for the comms module for a month for about £12. You should smash it if you’ve got some experience before. Or you can read CAP413 (I’ve been advised not to operate heavy machinery within 24 hours of reading this document) and the skyway code is worth a read too.

Good luck.
By Micromouse
If it helps I did a video about my experiences....
By Irv Lee
If you have a radio licence on an icao pilot licence, my memory says you are exempt the comms ground exam and only do the practical, i will look it up. If you look at the back pages of leaflet 22 on www.caa.co.uk/safetysense you will see a typical script of the (old) practical, i do something similar on my courses as you will have seen on the link earlier.
By Irv Lee
Is it a PPL? I can find this:

" holders of a Private Pilots Licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by
another ICAO contracting State (including any JAR-FCL/Part-FCL pilots’ licence) who also holds a valid radiotelephony licence issued in accordance with Article 37 of the ITU Radio Regulations will be credited with the written PPL Communications theoretical examination provided that the licence is valid and training was conducted using the English language and English Language Proficiency is shown on the licence. "

There are credits for both tests for commercials with 1500 hours of public transport:
"The holder of a valid CPL or ATPL Licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1
by another ICAO contracting State (including any JAR-FCL/Part-FCL pilots’ licence) who also holds a valid radiotelephony licence issued in accordance with Article 37 of the ITU Radio Regulations and has in excess of 1500 hours flight time engaged on international public transport flights, will be credited with the practical RTF
Communications test and PPL Communications theoretical written examination provided that the licence is valid and the practical test was conducted using the English language and English Language Proficiency is shown on the licence. "
By twinotterifr
Thanks for the replies, i do not hold a radio license under EASA and it has been more than 24 months since ive completed my theory exams, which the UK CAA has clarified i would need to resit the UK communications paper.

Regarding this i was told by a potential RT examiner that i would need to register for a UK CAA portal account as i would need to 'upload my results online'? I just want to clarify if sitting for this written exam is handled in house by a flight school or must it be formally registered/booked through the CAA portal and sat in a specific location etc. because i have emailed a few clubs who told me that they can provide the written exam. Im trying to get more clarification on this due to the email i received from said RT examiner regarding the CAA portal.

With regards to the actual RT practical, im fairly confident with my abilities on the radio given the simulated flight route. However, the FRTOL system has apparently changed this year under CAP2177, and there are a few changes in the delivery of the exam. What i really want to know is regards to the and i quote 'Scenario based oral questioning included in the practical test'. How am i suppose to prepare for this as i cant even find any examples available online? what sort of questions are involved for this part of the exam
By JAFO
[usermention=28668]@twinotterifr[/usermention] - [usermention=123]@Irv Lee[/usermention] didn't say EASA, he said ICAO.
By Andrew Sinclair
As things presently stand, you don’t have to register and conduct the Communications theory using the eExam system and if you conduct the RTF practical prior to 31st May you can conduct it all under the existing system if the RT examiner hasn’t yet been ‘converted’ to an FRTOL examiner.

Just complete the Communications theory in paper form and the RTF practical test, if successful the examiner will complete CAA5003 form and can also certify your ID. Then apply online. I have done a number under the existing system recently, it is quite painless really.

You need to find an RTF examiner local though as it has to be done in person.
By twinotterifr
thanks for the response, very much appreciated. i figured that for the scenario based questions, because theres no available examples of this and alot of people don't seem to have an idea of what im referring to i will just prepare myself as much as possible with the CAP413. Is it necessary to review all the chapters in CAP413 or can i just handpick areas that are more challenging (MATZ, QDM, diversion etc.)? is it also necessary to read supplementary resources and are there any supplements/books you would recommend to ace the exams?
By twinotterifr
xtophe wrote:
> If you're taking the new style exam, have you already found and read
> CAP2118. Para 6.14 and Appendix C should give you some pointers.

many thanks for this, i read CAP2117 and had a glance at CAP2118 assuming the contents were relatively the same, suffice to say your Appendix helped tremendously as the latter CAP provided the examples i desperately needed.
By Andrew Sinclair
I was recently converted from RT Examiner to FRTOL Examiner and it was an interesting learning experience for me!

I have now conducted a few FRTOL Practical Tests now and thought it would be useful to keep a record of my recent examiner experiences to assist others.

The material on which the practical test is based has not changed but the objectivity of the test has. Under the old system, I am sure there was an element of ‘examiner subjectivity’ that crept in. The new test criteria and assessed far more objectively and if it ain’t in 413 then it is wrong in the context of the practical test irrespective of what happens in the real world.

PS - I don’t say this to advertise my services, there are a number of FRTOL Examiners around.