Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Rob P wrote:
> I think one of the origin stories was of a crop sprayer who put in a full
> day spraying fields below hedge height. On finishing for the day he put the
> aircraft to bed, climbed into his car to go home and, approaching the
> firmly closed field gate pulled back on his steering wheel to 'climb' over
> it.

Haven't we all been at least tempted to do something like that? Back when learning to fly I managed to put my instructor on his mettle shortly after take-off by depressing the left pedal to change up a gear. :pale:
T6Harvard, pipvac liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mz Hedy wrote:
> Rob P wrote:
> > I think one of the origin stories was of a crop sprayer who put in a full
> > day spraying fields below hedge height. On finishing for the day he put the
> > aircraft to bed, climbed into his car to go home and, approaching the
> > firmly closed field gate pulled back on his steering wheel to 'climb' over
> > it.
>
> Haven't we all been at least tempted to do something like that?

Er no, never. Not even once! You lot are crazy :pirat: :pirat: :wink: :wink:
Mz Hedy, pipvac liked this
By TopCat
TopCat wrote:
> Mz Hedy wrote:

> >
> > Haven't we all been at least tempted to do something like that?
>
> Er no, never. Not even once! You lot are crazy :pirat: :pirat: :wink: :wink:

Actually, in the interests of scrupulous honesty, I think I did turn the yoke like a steering wheel on the ground on my first lesson. :oops:

Any tendency there didn't last long. My instructor had this way of looking at you with a slightly raised eyebrow, which was enough to beat almost any bad habit out of you.
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
> > TopCat wrote:
> My instructor had this way of looking at you
> with a slightly raised eyebrow, which was enough to beat almost any bad habit out of
> you.

Oh I caught one of those at the weekend. Pre take-off checks I managed to skip the flaps (soft field so first stage needed). At the holding point I was scanning the instruments and controls to make sure everything was good whilst we were waiting for traffic... spotted the flaps :pale: , and set them to first stage. I then got the look. Lesson learned. :wink:
pipvac wrote:
At the holding point I was scanning the
> instruments and controls to make sure everything was good whilst we were waiting for
> traffic... spotted the flaps :pale: , and set them to first stage. I then got the
> look. Lesson learned. :wink:

That was the "Damn you spotted it in time, I was about to give you my witheringly sarcastic reminder" look :lol:
pipvac liked this
By UncleT
Those who know High Wycombe will know that it has fairly long, relatively steep hills on the North and South approaches into town. My initial PPL training was undertaken at Booker (Wycombe Air Park). On more than one occasion, after having spent an hour in the circuit concentrating hard on using the yoke to control airspeed, I found myself pulling on the steering wheel of my car to slow it while driving down Marlow Hill following the lesson, instead of pressing my foot on the brake pedal.