Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Hexsplosions
Thanks for the info.

I did order all the books except book 5, and a checklist for the C150/152.

I checked out https://www.easypplgroundschool.com/ but I found the format quite irritating to use. The presentation window felt quite claustrophobic, with information crammed in. I think I'll try the books and see how I go from there.

I'm also looking at sunglasses. Does anybody have any recommendations? I'm aware that I'll need ones that are secure, comfortable under a headset and, I believe, non-polarizing if using any digital displays in the aircraft.
By Rob P
Grey lenses are said to be best for spotting traffic on cloudy days. Very flat arms help the headset issue. Aviator style are so called as they were designed to maximise scans keeping the frame out of your sight line. They aren't the trendiest, but...

Rob P
Hexsplosions liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Brown lenses are said to enhance contrast in the haze or amongst the clouds, making it easier to spot traffic.

Hmm? :D

Aviators aren't trendy? I think they are! They've gone full circle. So to speak.

I find grey or green lenses can be a bit too dark, making it a little difficult to read a tablet in the cockpit. What I find best are brown lenses with a gradient tint - darker at the top, lighter at the bottom. My grey lens glasses have been relegated to my MR2 where I don't need to see a screen inside.
Hexsplosions, T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
The major difference between high street and aviation sunglasses is the mark-up.

You will find this with life jackets for instance, where the same item costs about 25% less bought from a yacht chandler than from a dedicated aviation site.

In the days before I needed insets to read charts / tablet / plog I favoured Randolph as issued by USAF. But any decent quality optics will be just fine.

Rob P
Hexsplosions liked this
By Cessna571
I’ve always flown with brown lenses that I picked up from FatFace. I’d say they definitely enhance vis distance.

They are not polarised too, but that makes them annoying for driving.

Mine don’t have wire arms though, I tend to move my head a lot if going into a new field for some reason, and I think my sunglasses contribute to headset slippage, I’m going to look for a pair with wire arms this summer.
Hexsplosions liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Hexsplosions wrote:
> Any particular brands you’d recommend?
>
> Pooley’s sell a brand, but they seem quite expensive. I’m wondering if a
> high street brand would suffice or I need ones specifically designed for
> aviation use.

Anything will do, really speaking, though there aren't many high street sunglasses in gradient tint if you go down that road. You can order them off AliExpress from China though for not much money. I have done that with prescription sunglasses and had some nice ones made to my spec for £18! :D

However there are some advantages in getting the premium brands such as Bigatmo, Ray-Ban, Oakley or, if you want the dog's thingies, Serengeti...they will be just that little bit clearer and cut through haze that little bit better than a £5 pair of off the shelf glasses. Whether you choose to spend the money is up to you! The cheap ones have very similar UV protection to the expensive ones.

Glass lenses seem to just pip plastic ones in terms of clarity, but glass is heavier and can get uncomfortable if you're wearing them all day. I also find glass ones slip down my nose when I sweat so I have to keep poking them back up, as opposed to my cheap plastic ones which will stay put.

You can start off with a cheap pair and upgrade later. You know what they say, buy cheap, buy twice. But then you'll also have a spare pair! ;-)
Hexsplosions liked this
By TopCat
My distance vision is still great, touch wood. Close-up, I need reading glasses. I use these, or similar (I think mine are +1.5):

https://amzn.to/3M8QbeC

I wouldn't be able to see a damn thing on the map without them. Obviously I do also carry a spare pair of reading glasses.

It doesn't hurt that they look fairly good and the bifocal half moon at the bottom is practically invisible from the outside. I use them everywhere.
Hexsplosions liked this
By Flyingfemme
Before I needed reading glasses I favoured Silhouette Titans. They are light as a feather, for wearing all day, and the arms are thin enough to disappear under a headset. These days I generally peer over granny glasses beneath a baseball cap..........
Hexsplosions, Grelly liked this
By akg1486
Hexsplosions wrote:
> Any particular brands you’d recommend?
>
> Pooley’s sell a brand, but they seem quite expensive. I’m wondering if a
> high street brand would suffice or I need ones specifically designed for
> aviation use.

The best-looking by far are Randolph Engineering. Are there cheaper ones that are good enough? Of course. Would you look as cool in them? Not even close. 8)
Hexsplosions liked this