Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Hexsplosions
Hello,

I recently signed up for the Flyer Club membership and I've been refreshing the forum page for the last few days, eager to get online, say hello, and take advantage of the knowledge I can already see is in abundance on these forums.

I'm 40 years old and I've always wanted to learn to fly, but I never had the means to do so. That changed with redundancy from a previous employer, as I could pay off some long-term debts and free up some of my income for flying lessons.

I'm learning to fly with the Gamston Flying School in Nottinghamshire, in Cessna 150s and 152s. I had a trial flight before COVID, then delayed everything due to the various lockdowns, but now I'm actually learning.

So far I've done taxiing, climbing, descending, steady and level flight, flaps, FREDA checks, and a few other things I'm sure I've forgotten. I'm about to go onto medium turns. I've been loving every minute of it so far.

I'd love to pass my PPL(A) this year if I can, and then I plan to invest the time and money into additional ratings and the flight instructor rating. I'd love to transfer the driving instructor experience into the sky.

It's very nice to meet all of you.

P.S. Is there a way I can change my username? I think it's defaulted to my name as I signed up for the Flyer Club membership while the forum registrations were closed.
pipvac, StratoTramp liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome!!

As you know it's an amazing thing to be doing, this learning to fly. It is also very addictive. Glad you are enjoying it. It'd be hard not to, eh?

You'll get lots of support and encouragement on the Student forum. You'll also get good advice from the old hands if you have any questions, and even if you don't have any questions there'll be advice in-coming :lol: Seriously, I've found it invaluable :mrgreen: .

Have you started the theory yet?
Hexsplosions liked this
T6Harvard wrote:
> Have you started the theory yet?

I haven't, yet. I'm working my way through the Flying Training book (Air Pilot's Manual 1) and plan to get the second book as soon as I'm through it, going back to book 1 as a reference for the practical lessons.

And yes, it's very addictive!
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Welcome from another student - 47 years young, 30 or so hours in and hooked.

My 5p worth - get started on the theory sooner rather than later. I've found it a struggle to keep up with it and going back to studying has been a challenge for me (wasn't that great at it as a teenager to be honest but managed to blag my way through a degree). Take a look at EasyPPL groundschool and sign up for the free 3 days air law course to see if that style of learning takes your fancy.

Once I'd started, I had thoughts of doing additional ratings, then FI rating and that was how I could wind down into retirement in a few years time. Doing some instructing 2-3 days a week seemed like a fine plan. Everyone is different and has different plans on how to spend their money and I fully respect that. I've done a few very basic sums and I'm not 100% convinced it makes sense to invest the time and money to become an FI. Income is sporadic at best and likely to take a long time to recover the investment costs of hour building and getting the FI rating. This is why there aren't many career instructors out there from what I can see. I also have a medical issue that might scupper my plans so I've not looked in detail but go into it with your eyes wide open.

For the time being, enjoy it for what it is. The learning is a really fun process. Go at your own pace, don't compare yourself to others too much and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad lesson. I can say all of this because if you get round to reading some of my posts about my learning (New Student Gloucester), you will see that I've spent plenty of time comparing myself to others and beating myself after a bad lesson. My conclusion thus far - it's futile but difficult to stop.

Good luck!
T6Harvard, Hexsplosions liked this
By Rob P
Craig, I wouldn't worry to much about changing your name. Many of us use our names or derivatives thereof as it is so much easier when we meet at fly-ins and random aerodromes.

Welcome by the way :D

Rob P
By JAFO
Welcome [usermention=28542]@craig.booth[/usermention] - it will be 39 years tomorrow since my first flight in a light aircraft and I'm still learning. That's one of the freat things about this lark, you're never done.

Enjoy the journey, every single step, and never worry about rushing because there isn't a destination. All the best.
By skydriller
Welcome Craig, I echo getting to grips with theory stuff as soon as possible. Initially it wont matter too much but I think you need Air Law to solo? However, when you go on to do navigation, understanding the theory will make it easier.

Regards, SD..

(PS - dont worry about the user name, as already mentioned, many (most?) of us meet up and know each other anyway)
Hexsplosions liked this
By Hexsplosions
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I honestly can't wait to get back up there again.

pipvac wrote:
> Snap!
>
> I am 49. Similar situation to you. Just completed medium turns exercise
> and my first landing. Loving every second of it.
>
> The people on here have been fabulous to me, very supportive, and a wealth
> of experience and knowledge.
>
> Enjoy!

I've not done a landing yet. I'm really looking forward to that.
By JAFO
Hexsplosions wrote:

I've not done a landing yet. I'm really looking forward to that.

I did my first solo arrival in my new (to me) shareoplane this afternoon. It was not pretty. I, too, am therefore looking forward to doing something worthy of the name "landing". :thumright:
Hexsplosions, T6Harvard liked this
By Hexsplosions
I'm just looking on Pooley's as they've got a free shipping offer on this weekend. Combined with the discount we get for being a Flyer club member, it's like a bargain basement.

There are 7 manuals in total, and I'm already working my way through manual 1. Do I need all of them for the PPL(A) or are any of them only for additional ratings? (e.g. do I need manual 5, Radio Navigation & Instrument Flying, is is that only for IR(R)?)

Thanks! :D
By Rob P
Unless anything has changed in the past thirty years you do need a basic knowledge of the soon to be obsolete traditional radio nav. Instrument flying is an essential.

Rob P
Hexsplosions liked this
By T6Harvard
No, you don't need bk 5. The other Pooleys books are very good. (The Human Performance manual goes into more detail than we need but it's very interesting and nothing too complicated.

AFE also do the full complement of textbooks and they are very good too. I think I found the progress tests better in the AFE manuals.

But....I started with the books and moved to online.

Take a look at https://www.easypplgroundschool.com/

Their Air Law module is free for 3 days, no catches. I did manage to bash through it in 3 days but it needs more time to actually take it all in! It will let you see if that style of course suits you. They keep the notes bang up to date, the progress tests are excellent, the mock exams can be repeated and the algorithm throws up different questions. I'd highly recommend.

Finally... It may help to read Principles of Flight, even if not to immediately take the exam, it's VERY useful info from day one.

Now don't go mad with the ordering :lol:
Hexsplosions liked this
By T6Harvard
Ahh, just to clarify, as a current student..

Basic radio nav is covered in the Nav textbook. The Training manual of lessons also covers basic instrument flying, just enough to get you into a 180° turn and get out of the cloud. You shouldn't get into it in the first place, of course!

Leave book 5, as you suspect, until after you get your PPL :mrgreen:
Hexsplosions liked this