Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Gamatech
Hello all

I have my class 2 medical for PPL purposes booked for the end of the month (I have already gone through the process of signing on to the CAA portal and making the medical application). Assuming everything checks out during the exam, everything's good to go!

But until said exam is complete, I am finding it hard to resist the temptation to get things ready. My school has been handing me signed certificates at the end of each trial lesson so I can retain the flight hours, but I really need a proper log book. I ought to get myself a kneeboard, and I still lack a proper high-viz of my own. I've spent months keeping my anticipation bottled up. I can study for exams, I can save money for lessons, but there's nothing I can do to influence the results of a medical. It's for that reason that I've kept my excitement at a minimum until *after* the medical. I have no real concerns surrounding the medical exam, it's just being out of control that keeps me... well, "grounded" for the time being (if you'll excuse the pun).

So I suppose my question for other students, and existing pilots harking back to when they were learning themselves is this: How did you manage your own anticipation leading up to when the "gates opened" so to speak? How did you retain your money-saving instincts not to buy things you may not need, until after everything is ready to go? (Or heck, maybe you didn't, and bought the whole kit before you were good to go? :lol: )
By Rob P
Gamatech wrote:but I really need a proper log book.

Absolutely

Gamatech wrote:I ought to get myself a kneeboard

Quite possibly

Gamatech wrote:I still lack a proper high-viz of my own.

Dear god no!

A while ago FLYER used to sell the aforementioned travesties with the word "I am wearing this to cover someone else's a*se."

And please, regardless of what your instructor might do, take the bloody thing off before strapping in.

Rob P

I can't help with the rest of your query. My fresh-faced youngster days are too long ago.
skydriller, Sooty25, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
All down to personal circumstances really. For me, I had a medical condition that may have put pay to my continuing my dream of a PPL, but I wanted the experience so I got the logbook and just got on with lessons until the medical was done. I would advise against going full bore on all the kit in general anyway. I bought a whizz wheel and map when I needed it. I bought a knee board early on but didn’t really need it. Th big ticket item is your own headset which I got early doors but could have managed with a school set if needed. Don’t buy the kits of stuff with a poncy bag etc. just buy it as you need it and keep an eye on the forum and eBay and also Facebook groups. I got my CRP5 for the cost of postage (I added a thank you pint too).

Go on, spoil yourself and get a logbook. If you can’t afford that luxury now, you’re going to be stuffed when it comes to circuit lessons with an hour plus 8 landings.
By Cessna571
I did all my training from a Sainsbury’s bag.

Chris Shepherd Rose (There’s a name to conjure with) “loved” it!

Your school may have decent headsets.

You need a logbook yesterday, you need the PPL Book 1 (The course book).

You need to read what you are doing before each lesson, and understand it,

Don’t think I wore a knee board till nav.
Borrowed a Whizzwheel at the same time.
Have a nm ruler that’s always around somewhere.

Bought the books as and when I needed them.

You can start before your medical you know. You just can’t solo without it.

Oh, and after your lesson sit in the plane if you can. In fact, get to the airfield as early as you can. Help move them around, help refuel. Help with everything. If someone is cleaning or polishing one, go help. It will all help you.

Everything you do adds to your experience, even if it’s just sitting in the plane for 20 mins, looking at the dials.

Once you start, don’t buy anything you don’t need.

If your instructor offers you one more circuit, or extra time, ALWAYS say yes.
You cannot fly in your kitchen the following day can you? If you’re in an aircraft, fly!

You’ll spend every penny you have (and then some) on flying. Don’t bother with fancy shades, or a big watch, it won’t make you a better pilot.

Oh, do get a fuel tester when you order your log book. You do need one.

Always smell the avgas when you test it, it smells delicious, don’t drink it. It doesn’t taste as nice as it smells.

Looking forward to hearing how it’s going.
Rob P, T6Harvard, TopCat and 2 others liked this
By skydriller
Gamatech wrote:I really need a proper log book.

Yes, you do. A logbook is your own personal flying diary. Yes, your instructor will have you write "Ex 1a,b,c,2a,b,3,5,6" (or whatever it is, I forget specifics) next to each entry for the PPL but you can additionally add whatever you want in the comments section so you remember what happened on a flight, forever. I have things such as "first flight with my son!!" and "played intercepts with AdA Helicopter" in mine.

Gamatech wrote:I ought to get myself a kneeboard,

Maybe... Any clipboard will do - I used a buldog clip attached to the folded map for most of my PPL. Talking of which, Id say get the 1:500000 CAA chart for the area you live/fly from - of which the new version should be out now/soon, so make sure you get the 2022 edition.

Gamatech wrote: I still lack a proper high-viz of my own.

No...just...no... @Rob P has it. However if you are unlucky enough to fly from somewhere that mandates the damn things, do NOT wear it in the aeroplane!!

So my view, if you want to buy something, buy a logbook then buy the local area CAA 1:500000 map and the first couple of PPL books and start reading about the PPL syllabus and Air Law, Nav & Meteorology.

Regards, SD..
Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I knew the temptation would be there and I tried very hard to resist!!

Headset
I was determined not too rush in and buy my own headset due to cost and the possibility that I'd not love flying (I know. I know), but then Covid made me think again. I was extremely fortunate to see an ad on this forum for a 2ndhand set at 1/3rd of new price. OK it's a fairly basic headset but perfectly adequate and very durable. Check out the school and flying club noticeboard, ask around at the club. They often come up for sale.

Kneeboard
No need for one at the beginning. You won't be using it, it'll be a distraction. You can make one for a couple of quid. I have bought a cheap one that serves the purpose, and is not too big or cumbersome.

The current 1:500 000 chart
As recommended by RobP above. Take a look at it. Don't be put off by the clutter / weird symbols. Look at the key and pick a couple of things to look for and remember. The rest will come in time. Most importantly, look at what is close to your training area and orientate yourself.

Flightbag
I used a small rucksack to contain JUST THE ESSENTIALS: fuel testing kit, spectacles, headset, kneeboard, pencil, debit card, car keys.
I was bought a lovely flightbag in the January sales :mrgreen: Same contents, easier to find stuff, looks nice :D

Books

1) You will need the training manual which sets out each lesson.

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-tra ... zIQAvD_BwE

School will sell you one (they should have already if you are having actual lessons!). As Cessna571 says, read each lesson beforehand AND read it again afterwards.

2) Get the Pilot's Operating Handbook (always referred to as the POH) for the type you'll be flying. READ IT. It won't all mean anything at first but you'll pick things up and it'll help embed the walkround procedure and some safety stuff. And it's interesting!

3) I bought the 'Principles of Flight' book from the Pooley's series and read it before my first lesson. True to say not all of it stuck but it helped a lot to have some idea of what the aircraft components were called and their basic functions.

You don't need any other books yet. Put them on your birthday list :lol:

4) Get a decent sized notebook or set up a folder on your laptop and write up every lesson within 24 hrs.
It's all so vivid at first but believe me you soon forget little details. It helps to embed the learning, it is cathartic when you think things were not perfect, it is a fantastic reference to go back to!
Looking back you find yet more learning points, you relive the highs and lows, you realise how much you have achieved, and how lucky you are to be doing something so amazing :mrgreen:

AND FINALLY...

Treat yourself to one cheap fippery.

My choice was a drinks can cooler, 'I'd rather be flying', which I use to insulate my travel mug for my drive to the airfield :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/search/av ... can-cooler

Oh, sorry, tactical error, leading you to an online store. Resist the goodies!

Good luck, enjoy every minute and...

... do, please, keep us posted!!
Rob P, A le Ron liked this
By T6Harvard
Oh, and...

... some of us need a cushion because we are vertically challenged. If so, buy your own to save hunting round for one at school. Sew on a flight patch of your choice* and a carrying handle to feel slightly less embarrassed about it :oops:

*my avatar, bought at an airshow of course :D
By TopCat
Cessna571 wrote:I did all my training from a Sainsbury’s bag.

So did I :D

When the bag developed holes and things started falling out, I put a flattish shoulder bag inside it and carried on using it. Eventually I inherited a better one from someone that was given it on a course.

Never used a kneeboard, I have an A4 clipboard that used to have a company logo on it that I got on a course in 1989.

So much good advice from @Cessna571 there, it's all spot on.

As for hi vis, I have one (obviously I didn't pay for it, in fact I don't remember where it came from), but I've never used it. Even at airfields where it's supposedly mandated. Never been stopped yet.
Cessna571 liked this
By ericgreveson
Advice above is all very good - sadly I fly from a "mandatory high vis" airport so start each lesson fighting to put it over my coat before stepping onto the apron!
I think I had done 5-10 lessons before even booking my medical - I didn't really have any concerns about it except for being very short-sighted, and indeed the AME required some extra vision tests, but all went well. I figured that even in the worst case, I would still have been able to do as many dual lessons as I wanted - dual lessons are still flying after all!

Just to offer a counterpoint to some of the (good) advice above about not necessarily getting the "kits" provided by flying schools, I did buy the kits! At Cambridge Aero Club, there was a Starter Kit with branded flight bag, the first 3 course books, checklists, kneeboard, pens, etc, and then a Navigator Kit with the remaining course books, whizz wheel, rulers, protractor, chart, marker pens, etc). These looked expensive at first glance, and I had read advice such as the above, but after an hour of browsing various PPL equipment websites, eBay etc, I had figured out that half the cost was on the books alone (and I wanted new books since all the secondhand ones were previous editions) and buying the remaining paraphernalia separately would only save me about £10 in total (and that's without the bag!). So I got the kits, knew I had everything I needed (and a little bit more), and it didn't really cost much more than it would have anyway (maybe it will add 0.1% to the total expense of the PPL course)!

I found that having a kneeboard early on was very useful - I was using it from my second lesson to record ATIS and ATC instructions for taxying (if not at a controlled airfield, I guess it might not have been so much use before nav lessons). Also getting used to squishing in to a C152 seat as a tall person without the kneeboard interfering with the flight controls was helpful for later on!

I also found that having more of the theory books early on was really helpful. As I started lessons just before winter and flying was typically once every 1-2 weeks max, I could direct the flying "addiction" to learning the theory so I got the exams out of the way relatively early on. Having done the nav and comms exams etc before starting nav lessons was definitely helpful and I think helped me progress a bit faster.

Regarding headset - this is probably the most expensive single item listed above, and I still don't have one! I figured that I'd try as many as possible from the school's assortment of spare headsets before deciding which one was right for me, as you can get a lot of circuits in for the price of even a passive headset...

In short, my terrible advice which you should probably ignore is: buy all the stuff now! Except a headset. :-D
By RobW
Hi,

Apart from all the great tips above, I would keep an eye on ebay, I managed my first 10 hours with just a small notepad (small enough to fit in a shirt pocket for easy access) and a biro.

When I eventually needed more kit I bought practically everything second hand from ebay and eventually a second hand headset from this very forum.

My flying school sells charts cheaper than they are available online so may be the same for you?

I did buy a set of 'out of date' training manuals second hand too, some are no longer in date (air law for example has apparently changed considerably) but Nav, meteorology etc are obviously still useful.

I do plan on investing in a new Bose headset eventually as I really fancy ANR after trying my instructors set but that can wait until I need a second set for future passengers.

I would also add that unless you have a specific issue you are aware of that may impede your medical, you probably have nothing to worry about, I am a bit deaf, quite fat and my eyesight isnt great but I sailed through with just a note that I need corrective lenses, I worried about the medical far more than was necessary before hand.

Enjoy!
By lobstaboy
Some random thoughts prompted by the above:
- why is getting yourself prepared and properly equipped giving into temptation? You don't need lots of stuff, but it can be fun if you have the Dosh. Though of course a big watch doesn't make you pilot, it makes you a poser. I also did my PPL with a plastic bag as my flight bag (Waitrose, you have to have some standards...)
- Hiviz ? No, as above, unless your airfield insists. If you do have to wear one then taking it off in the aeroplane is important because they are inflammable. Generally wearing clothes made from natural fibres is to be preferred to synthetics.
- Don't fret over the medical unless you want to fly professionally - if you can drive a car you are well enough to self declare and get an NPPL
By pipvac
I'm about 10 lessons in, and loving it. I'm nearly 50 and deaf in my right ear. I'm not learning because its the start of a new career. For me it's the fulfillment of a childhood dream. Like you I did my class 2 medical exam long before my first lesson. 99% fine, but one item needed reviewing and the CAA have yet to give me feedback some four months later. AME suggests this is purely an administrative delay, and not likely to halt proceeding.

This hasn't stopped me starting. I've been transparent with the school, and got stuck in. Worst case scenario is they don't give me the certificate (albeit highly unlikely). This will not stop me continuing with an instructor onboard for as long as they will let me, and my pocket can cope.

A log book was the first thing I bought, and had it with me from lesson one. Seeing it build up line by line is like sliding into a hot bath.... aaaaahhhhhh!

Since I want to protect my remaining 'good' ear, after my first couple of early lessons, I invested in an ANR headset (middle of the range). This was well worth it for me as the basic Pooleys passive sets that they had were a little worse for wear. Audio clarity and noise protection were important for me.

I did invest in a kneeboard after I began doing radio calls. I found writing stuff down took the pressure off, and gave me thinking time. Not essential, but it worked for me. I found the cheapest that did what I needed.

I asked my school which books to focus on first (flight training and aviation law), and had finished reading those before my first lesson! I dip back in before each exercise. I also got a copy of the Skyway Code too, and am trying to commit to memory.... trying!

I've downloaded the POH, and the school sent me a digital copy of their checklist for the aircraft I train in.

I carry this all in an old small ruck sack I had lying around.

There are plenty of kits and bundles out there where you may save a few pennies. The ones I found didn't offer a huge saving, and often included a handful of items I don't need/want. But that's me.

Don't forget the adult nappies! I wish I had remembered these for my first take off and my first landing. Just sayin'!
T6Harvard liked this
By Gamatech
Many thanks again for all the detailed responses! Lots of very helpful advice here.

Milty wrote: Go on, spoil yourself and get a logbook.

Cessna571 wrote:You need a logbook yesterday

Rob P wrote:
Gamatech wrote:but I really need a proper log book.
Absolutely

skydriller wrote:Yes, you do. A logbook is your own personal flying diary.

skydriller wrote:If you want to buy something, buy a logbook-...

This has convinced me to pick one up now, rather than waiting for the medical later this month. Another huge factor is that I currently have a couple of flying certificates from trial lessons I completed a few weeks ago, to be used as documentation for my hours accrued thus far. Having certificates lying around is neither organised, efficient, nor very presentable to read back on. I figure at this point the sooner I get a logbook, the better!

skydriller wrote:you can additionally add whatever you want in the comments section so you remember what happened on a flight, forever. I have things such as "first flight with my son!!" and "played intercepts with AdA Helicopter" in mine.

T6Harvard wrote:Get a decent sized notebook or set up a folder on your laptop and write up every lesson within 24 hrs. It's all so vivid at first but believe me you soon forget little details.

I've already got myself a nice sketchbook for precisely this purpose! You're both absolutely right. I've only done one or two lessons, but being able to sketch out diagrams and make notes on the same day has been very helpful. I've heard of some people using GoPros and connecting them to their headset audio for playbacks too, which sounds like a really great idea if one were to have the equipment for it.

lobstaboy wrote:Hiviz ? No, as above, unless your airfield insists. If you do have to wear one then taking it off in the aeroplane is important because they are inflammable. Generally wearing clothes made from natural fibres is to be preferred to synthetics.

Rob P wrote:And please, regardless of what your instructor might do, take the bloody thing off before strapping in.

skydriller wrote:However if you are unlucky enough to fly from somewhere that mandates the damn things, do NOT wear it in the aeroplane!!

TopCat wrote:As for hi vis, I have one (obviously I didn't pay for it, in fact I don't remember where it came from), but I've never used it. Even at airfields where it's supposedly mandated. Never been stopped yet.

That's a great point I hadn't considered before in regards to the synthetic and natural fibres. I'm mostly indifferent to wearing a high viz, but my local airfield does mandate their use. But even if I use one, I'll certainly be taking it off before getting in the plane after these points! (If absolutely nothing else, it can get *really* hot in there. The last thing I'd want is more layers while flying).

Cessna571 wrote:You need the PPL Book 1 (The course book).

You need to read what you are doing before each lesson, and understand it,

Oh, and after your lesson sit in the plane if you can. In fact, get to the airfield as early as you can. Help move them around, help refuel. Help with everything. If someone is cleaning or polishing one, go help. It will all help you.

If your instructor offers you one more circuit, or extra time, ALWAYS say yes.
You cannot fly in your kitchen the following day can you? If you’re in an aircraft, fly!

T6Harvard wrote:You will need the training manual which sets out each lesson.

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-tra ... zIQAvD_BwE

School will sell you one (they should have already if you are having actual lessons!). As Cessna571 says, read each lesson beforehand AND read it again afterwards.

Some genuinely fantastic advise here. I'm pleased that you said those practices can benefit, because I'd like to think I'd try and do them anyway. It's also good to know that first volume can (broadly) cover lesson plans: I was really hoping to be able to prepare myself properly prior to a lesson, but didn't know how to predict the future and know what was lined up.

Cessna571 wrote:Always smell the avgas when you test it, it smells delicious, don’t drink it. It doesn’t taste as nice as it smells

I've loved the smell of Aviation Fuel since I was a small kid! My grandad used to drive me to the end of the runway at Gatwick during weekends to watch the planes fly over. I could always tell when we were almost there, because that smell would come through the window :lol: They've closed off those roads and approaches now, can't get anywhere near as close without permits these days.

Cessna571 wrote:You can start before your medical you know. You just can’t solo without it.

Oh yes, I'm aware. But I don't want to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds on lessons, only to find out I can't finish what I started. I've had a couple of taster lessons, but now I'd rather just wait for hard confirmation. I'm eagerly anticipating the moment it's done and I can stop saying "if I go through with this course", instead saying "now that I'm doing this course"!

T6Harvard wrote:I was extremely fortunate to see an ad on this forum for a 2ndhand headset at 1/3rd of new price...Check out the school and flying club noticeboard, ask around at the club. They often come up for sale.

ericgreveson wrote:This is probably the most expensive single item listed above, and I still don't have one! I figured that I'd try as many as possible from the school's assortment of spare headsets before deciding which one was right for me, as you can get a lot of circuits in for the price of even a passive headset...

pipvac wrote:...I invested in an ANR headset (middle of the range).

For the time being I plan on using the club's headsets, although I'm not at all experienced enough to make judgement on their quality either way. But more than one person (including an EasyJet captain no less) , has recommended I get my own headset relatively early. I'm not closed off to the idea, but I'd certainly have to read up some more on the pros and cons of doing so.

T6Harvard wrote:Treat yourself to one cheap fippery. ..Oh, sorry, tactical error, leading you to an online store. Resist the goodies!

I saw a cup warmer the other day that said "Trust Me, I'm A *Pilot " with the asterisk reading " *(almost) " :lol:

ericgreveson wrote:I did buy the kits! ... These looked expensive at first glance ... after an hour of browsing various PPL equipment websites, eBay etc, I had figured out that half the cost was on the books alone (and I wanted new books since all the secondhand ones were previous editions) and buying the remaining paraphernalia separately would only save me about £10 in total ... it didn't really cost much more than it would have anyway.

This is a contrast to what I've found to be the majority of advice I've found regarding starter kits. It's supremely tantalising as a new student to get one complete package full of everything you may (or may not) need. I can't yet even identify a couple of items bundled in those packages, and have no idea how soon I'd need them (if even at all). I suppose with all that said, the drawback of these bundles isn't necessarily that they're overpriced: Just that you may end up paying for extra items you needn't bother with. My local airfield actually sells their own version of these bundles for a (noticeably) cheaper price compared to the norm. They still include the majority of what they typically include as well. Whether I get one or go down the route of getting things separately remains to be seen, but I'm confident I'd go with my local airfield's offering if I were to elect for a starter bundle.

T6Harvard wrote:The current 1:500 000 chart...Take a look at it. Don't be put off by the clutter / weird symbols. Look at the key and pick a couple of things to look for and remember ... look at what is close to your training area and orientate yourself.

This is something I recently discovered! I'm intrigued by the fact they can be offered based on your local area specifically. It makes total sense when you say it, of course. But as someone who hasn't seen them before, being able to give a focal area before buying one is a great novelty!

RobW wrote:I worried about the medical far more than was necessary before hand.

I strongly suspect I am doing the same, blowing minor dismissible things way out of proportion. Still, better safe than sorry, right? :thumright:

lobstaboy wrote:why is getting yourself prepared and properly equipped giving into temptation?

I play this scene in my head of getting myself some books, equipment, and resources, only to find that something unforeseen pops up in the medical and I've wasted my money. Not to mention the bigger disappointment, having already got myself all psyched up and ready to go. I've been doing my best to quell any excitement, until *after* the medical is behind me. Just in case :mrgreen: I've been clear and honest in my applications with no glaring prospects I can foresee causing an issue. Hell, I've even been trying to lose weight this past month or two for no reason beyond "just in case" and to put my mind at ease (Lost 11Lbs!). I don't expect any trouble, it's just that little voice in your head whispering "what if", you know? :lol:
By Genghis the Engineer
I agree with all the advice so far.

If you're anticipating going "pro" buy a decent commercial logbook, if staying private a standard PPL logbook will be fine. Pooleys is as good as any other.

Invest 75p in a good quality "bag for life" for your flying, don't be a cheapskate and use a standard 10p plastic one. I mostly use the present Sainsbury model, which are ideal, although Lidl are a good second best.

If you know what aircraft type you're planning to fly, find a Pilots Operating Handbook (POH) online and download it. The common types are all easy enough to find. Start learning you way into that, it's free, and useful.

G