Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Miscellaneous wrote:
I also seem to randomly forget carb heat to cold for the same reason.

It certainly beats pulling the mixture instead of the carb heat as you turn base. Although , as I discovered on early solo, it doesn't need an instructor onboard to point out the error. :oops:

For a while we had an early PA28 at the club which was pre-ergonomics and the mixture and carb heat were very similar knobs in random places. Luckily I only did that on the ground.

There are some mistakes where you realise instantly what you’ve done. Like changing tanks on a PA28 but actually selecting fuel OFF…
T6Harvard liked this
By WGN
I was recently flying family members to lunch when my bladder decided to cause problems.

Amid the squirming I found simply tuning the radio to my destination hard and when 2 aircraft reported 'inbound' to join from opposite directions to myself I suddenly realised I could no longer remember how to read a compass such was my need to pee.
Try as I might I could not build a mental picture of the 3 runways, inbound traffic and circuit traffic to plan my join so not wanting to be a danger to myself or others I did a 180 and returned home much to my passengers disappointment.

It's quite scary how quickly mental capacity can go out the window when something unexpected happens.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@bladerunner911 , I have a bad habit of dwelling on the mistakes as I self-debrief, and for the following 24hrs.
After that, my brain re-runs the whole lesson once or twice and I can pick out the better bits and I cheer up a bit! Only at that time do I appreciate what the learning points really were. It might be an age thing?

It certainly helps to hear that others commonly make / have made the same slip-ups, doesn't it? :lol:
By bladerunner911
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It certainly does!
I've re-run things many times in my head over the last year :D
I feel like I'm currently in a strange mental state between being a PIC and being a student.
I'm trying to mentally jump that gap to being more confident of my abilities :D and taking charge of the flight!
I guess it's a bit like training wheels on a bicycle!
T6Harvard liked this
By pipvac
T6Harvard wrote:@bladerunner911 , I have a bad habit of dwelling on the mistakes as I self-debrief, and for the following 24hrs.
After that, my brain re-runs the whole lesson once or twice and I can pick out the better bits and I cheer up a bit! Only at that time do I appreciate what the learning points really were. It might be an age thing?

It certainly helps to hear that others commonly make / have made the same slip-ups, doesn't it? :lol:

This! :thumright: