Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By pipvac
I'm still shaking with the adrenaline as I type this....

Last week was my first take-off. Got a few touch and go's in this afternoon where I did the first take-off, then climb-outs, and whilst that first attempt was ropey, each one got better as I began to get ahead of the aircraft. The last one was trimmed nicely for speed and heading bang on... I'll take it.

Dodging showers and sleet, we found a lovely open patch of sky, with a breath-taking view all round. My CFI gave me some medium turns exercises. That was a lot of fun, and I felt on top of the world as I was nailing both altitude, heading and bank consistently, with my head outside the plane (for a change). I had made plenty of mistakes on the ground today, but as we departed the circuit, I began to relax, and focus outside. Damn, my head is still up there even now!

Flew the re-join, crosswind, downwind... at which point my CFI says "right! you're flying this one...." I kinda regret my next words being "Really!?" and a sudden urge to pass wind. Turn base, descent was erratic, turned final - not sure the appropriate sensation from a student pilot when turning final should have been surprise at being aligned - in my head "oh look, I'm actually aligned with the runway"... What follows was a blurred combination of speed and sink control, which was, shall we say.... akin to a first-time (cough!). Then came the biggest balloon.... so big Richard Branson wants to buy the rights to it... I'm surprised we didn't end up back at circuit height, but got the nose pointed down the runway, the speed out, and we touched down. No spines were broken, and both hardware and humans were unharmed. My CFI took control to taxi clear, as I dealt with the excitement, adrenaline, and more. Completed my post landing checks, and taxi'd back to the school.

I know it was far from perfect, and I made plenty of mistakes. But each time I get in the cockpit I get that little bit better. Above all, it's one of the best feelings, and such a privilege to be able to do it. The biggest difference today was being consistently outside the plane, and that felt amazing.
Rob P, Milty, StratoTramp and 4 others liked this
By Danny
pipvac wrote:I'm still shaking with the adrenaline as I type this....

" I kinda regret my next words being "Really!?" and a sudden urge to pass wind.

Isn't that Tower's job? 8)

Seriously well done! Great feeling isn't it?.... First landing I mean...although now you mention it...
pipvac liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@pipvac its a great feeling when you get your head outside of the plane as you say. Well done on your first landing. The point form now on is not to be too critical. A good landing is one where you and the aircraft could go again.

I very much get the sentiment mentioned in your post. Several times during my training so far, we’ve been able to smell fear in to cockpit.
pipvac liked this