Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Benny0597
Good afternoon,
My first post on here and I'm looking for a bit of help if possible. I did a number of flying 'taster' lessons many years ago and have wanted to carry on with it ever since, I'm finally at a stage in life where I'm looking to start within the next 12 months (hopefully) but I want to be sure I'm heading down the correct route (given all the recent changes to licences etc.)

From what I can see with my own research I have the following 3 to choose from?
UK NPPL
UK Part-FCL LAPL
UK Part-FCL PPL
I have ruled out NPPL on the grounds of it being UK only in non-easa aircraft so leaves me the other 2.

I'm looking to fly for recreation, taking up the odd family members (wife/children) on occasion, also having the ability to fly across into Europe (mainly France & Spain) as I have family who live there who I visit often.

Question 1: will an LAPL be suitable for what I'm looking to do?
Question 2: can I fly in Europe with either the LAPL or PPL.
Question 3: I see the LAPL is limited to 2000kg and 3 passengers rather than 19 passengers and 5750kg, am I likely to need to go over 2000kg??.... 3 passengers is sufficient for what I need.
Question 4: can I fly the same aircraft on either (up to 2000kg that is)
Question 5: once the licence is obtained, me and a friend of mine are considering the option of getting something between us rather than renting all the time. If we was to get something such as
Question 6: I see SEP and SSEA a lot.... are they the same?
By low&slow
1. LAPL cannot currently be used in Europe for most SEPs, otherwise will fulfill your requirements..
2. PPL only in most SEPs.
3. Very unlikely, but LAPL can be turned into PPL if you decide to.
4. Yes.
5. Good idea.
6. Yes, Single Engine Piston (EASA tem), Simple Single Engine Aircraft (UK CAA term.)

If you are serious about travelling, an instrument rating would be very helpful & that can only be added to a PPL.
By Bathman
Benny0597 wrote:I have ruled out NPPL on the grounds of it being UK only in non-easa aircraft so leaves me the other 2.

The NPPL (SSEA) is valid in easa and none easa aircraft
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
low&slow wrote:6. Yes, Single Engine Piston (EASA tem), Simple Single Engine Aircraft (UK CAA term.)

No. An SSEA rating is only valid on aircraft up to 2000kg MAUW.
T6Harvard liked this