Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Gamatech
Hello all!

This forum was recommended to me quite a number of times.

I am currently exploring the prospect of a PPL course, and have already poured a huge number of hours in to trying to educate myself as best I can. I've visited a number of flight schools, spoken with existing private and commercial pilots, dug around online, and even had a trial flight or two. I've read up on dos, don'ts, good signs and red flags, and have kept an eye out for anything that may help.

I have one school in mind I am (rather heavily) leaning toward, and I've applied for Medical on the CAA's website. Once they get back to me, I intend to book a Class 2 Medical exam for PPL purposes. After that (assuming all is well of course), I can take the plunge!

So far I have learned:

- Don't pay upfront

- Check availability (how many aircraft/instructors does a school have?)

- Try to find an instructor you "click" with

- Only pay for ground school sessions when you feel you need them

- Within reasonable sense and judgement, a good instructor will try to have you flying solo as soon as possible

- No one can guarantee time frames or total pricing, even if they try to

- Teaching is oft a great way for instructors to gain hours. However, raise an eyebrow if that seems to be their *only* priority (Assigning X-Country flights extremely early on, excessive pushbacks on solo flights with no feedback on why, minimal context to answering of questions etc)

Is there anything else people here wished they knew before starting? Or, are there any comments/corrections on the points I already hold?

Many thanks in advance for any kind of insight or tips! I look forward to interacting more with the forum ^^
ericgreveson, Milty, bladerunner911 and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome, @Gamatech !

You seem to have the main points covered :thumleft:

I would add that for ground school, take a look at https://www.easypplgroundschool.com/
I've used them for all my exams so far, although I did start off with the Pooleys and AFE books. EasyPPL not only has the course content but there are progress tests and mock exams that are excellent.

Which area of the country are you going to be flying from?

What did you think of the experience flights? Which aeroplane are you likely to be learning in, have you decided?

Is this as a hobby or do you intend taking it further?

As you have probably seen, there are enthusiastic students here as well as the old hands who offer excellent advice and encouragement (although heaven help you if make a spelling mistake :lol: ), so ask away!
Gamatech liked this
By TopCat
Gamatech wrote:Is there anything else people here wished they knew before starting?

Putting undue pressure on yourself to get good, results in slower progress, not quicker.

Obviously prepare meticulously, read voraciously, and learn everything you can. Skimp on nothing.

But when you're in the air, learn from mistakes but don't constantly beat yourself up about them. You can't magically be better than the best you can be, so don't try to.

Beating yourself up adds unnecessarily to an already high workload, and will slow you down.

(You can probably guess how I know.)
JAFO, Milty, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this
By Rob P
Don't buy commercial 'Starter Kits'

Much of what they comprise you either don't need, can buy secondhand, can blag from here.

Use school headsets if you can, or again buy used. ANR is good, but not essential (Active Noise Reduction)

Welcome by the way

Rob P

Some grammar / spellings are pounced on by forum tradition. Relax, it's well meant.

Don't quote an entire humumgous post just to comment on one part of it. Edit your quotes down.
JAFO, T6Harvard, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
By Micromouse
Greetings.

Things are going to take you twice as long and cost you more than you think. Double it and add 50% and you might be close.

You will have more cancelled days than flying days. get used to it.

If you have ANR (Active noise reduction) headphones. Don't forget to switch them on.

Wayne
T6Harvard, bladerunner911, Gamatech and 1 others liked this
By Milty
Welcome. Most of it covered above. Get ready for a rollercoaster of a journey. You’ll think you can never do it, then realise you just have, then think it’s easy, then balls it up and think you’ve gone backwards but actually gone forwards because you’ve learned something about your capabilities and limits. Enjoy it all for what it is - an unbelievable learning experience.

Have fun. Look forward to sharing your journey.
By StratoTramp
I would recommend documenting a short review after each lesson.

What went well?
What could be improved?
What will I do differently next time?

Can just be a sentence or two and review it before getting in the aircraft the next time.

Extra Points for - What will I do differently next time? "Actually latch the door :lol:

Like most things in life review to get better, but don't be overly critical. :thumleft:
T6Harvard, JAFO, Gamatech liked this
By FlyingBoot
Welcome to the forum. If you are still not 100% sure which school to use and will have another trial lesson, get a logbook as they count towards your hours.

Good luck on your journey to a licence. Enjoy it and remember that you probably learn the most when things don't quite go perfectly.
Gamatech liked this
By riverrock
FlyingBoot wrote:Welcome to the forum. If you are still not 100% sure which school to use and will have another trial lesson, get a logbook as they count towards your hours.

Just be aware - there are "Air Experience Flights" and "Trial Lessons" - only the lessons count. The experience flights can be delivered by pilots who aren't instructors.
Gamatech liked this
By Cessna571
- Within reasonable sense and judgement, a good instructor will try to have you flying solo as soon as possible

I don't think this is true, it depends on the instructor... and I am not sure a good instructor does that, I know people who solo'd after 7 hours, then didn't fly solo again for another 10 lessons because they weren't ready for solo circuits, but their instructor liked it (and so did they) that you can solo at 7 hours, just,. They were taught to land and nothing else basically.

My instructor said to me.,. I expect you to go solo at about 19 hours.. then we won't fly together for a while after that.

I solo'd at 19 hours... next time I walked in to the clubhouse my instructor looked up from his paperwork, said "keys are on the board, see you later" and it was like that for the next 5 lessons or so.

I mention this because people think they are behind if it's not arrived at quickly.

I'm glad I did it that way round.. so don't think it HAS to happen ASAP (as you've said above).

First solo landaway or solo nav is probably bigger.
Gamatech liked this