Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By GreatWestern
Hello everyone!

I'm new here, currently 16, and I've loved aviation pretty much my whole life. I've recently decided its time to do something about it - due to the costs I haven't been flying much, apart from in flight simulators where I have more time logged than I should probably admit to...

I've been having a look at the website of the British Gliding Association - it states the cost of flying a glider are pretty low. The average membership cost is £350 (although a club that's local to me is *a lot* less for under 25s), then about £20 to hire a glider for an hour and £30 for a tow. If I got a part time job, this is certainly within the realms of possibility. It also says training to fly with an instructor is free of charge.

However, when I look at the "Discover Gliding" section, something doesn't add up. a voucher for a 20 minute flight (with some extra stuff on the ground that amounts to 1-2 hours in total) is £120. If this is something I can be almost certain I want to do, should I skip this part and go straight for a membership?

Where would you advise someone like me to start? Are there any resources I ought to have a look at in order to be more informed when I start flying? As I say, I have spent more time in flight sims than I should admit to, so I'm happy to do some extra learning and reading to be in the best position I can.

Thanks in advance!
Danny liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Join your local gliding club as a member - most do rates for young people and students.

Discovery days etc is something for people who are not sure or who just want to do a couple of flights on a day or two.

For those with their hearts set on aviation gliding as a youngster is the way to go. You will be a better pilot for it. The gliding club will also give you other learning and life opportunities.

Enjoy.
By lobstaboy
What the others said!
Just go to your local club and get stuck in.
Be prepared to spend a lot of time at the club helping others to fly - by its nature gliding has to be a cooperative activity - this is part of the fun and you'll learn lots from the other folk doing the same thing. This will be on the days you're flying, but later you'll be asked if you'd like to help as launch Marshall or winch driver.
Go along and talk to people - they'll welcome you with open arms.

PS I wish I'd started at your age!
GreatWestern liked this
By low&slow
The extra cost will be for a period of membership. Gliding clubs don't really sell trial flights as that would be commercial aviation & bring a whole other level of legal obligations. Instead they sell trial memberships with the first flight thrown in.

If you can find a large club nearby that does winch launches you will find it even more affordable.
GreatWestern liked this
By Rob P
It might be helpful to know the area in which the person asking the question lives.

The screen name seems to indicate The West Country?

Rob P
GreatWestern liked this
By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most vouchers are sold as things like Christmas and birthday presents or to people who want to tick something off their "bucket list", and they are priced accordingly :D Usually they include a period of trial membership, commonly 30 days, so those who are more serious can do some more flying at club rates for a few weeks before deciding if they want to commit to a membership.

Some clubs do open days where you don't have to pay for a voucher (Bath Wilts and North Dorset have one in May). You could also get in touch with your local club directly and see what they can offer, or perhaps see if any contacts in gliding can swing something for you (members of a certain aviation forum perhaps?).

Unless you are lucky, this time of year is not always the best to get a good experience if you pitch up without organising it - we are just coming out of winter and so annual and currency checks, along with training "ab initios" (new starters), may mean instructor capacity will be stretched for the next few weeks at some clubs. However, if you are happy to hang about and muck in you will be welcomed, and even if you couldn't get a flight on your first visit, the club would almost certainly make sure you got in the air when you returned!
GreatWestern liked this
By profchrisreed
I'd echo what others have said. Just turn up, say you're interested in joining, and see what happens. You might even get a free flight, if you're obviously keen and have helped out with pushing gliders around, etc.

Important note: gliding is a full day at the airfield. If you can't spare that much time regularly, at least every other week when learning, it won't work for you.

A big club might be best for you - more resources (if the winch breaks, there's a spare) and structured cadet scheme. Small clubs are like a family, with all the good and bad that implies - if you are lucky, you have a great time, but some days it's all rather fraught because the key players have had a row!

If you are West Country, both Nympsfield and Aston Down are good, Nympsfield is prettier but more challenging.
By NDB_hold
Parent of a teenage glider pilot here (I fly the ones with engines): go for it! He’s had the most amazing introduction to flying and went solo for less than £400 including membership (his club has particularly good junior rates). He now owns 1/3 of a glider…
webdevduck liked this