Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By pipvac
Just had to share! Was very excited!

I've been steadily working through the training exercises one weekend at a time. Weather has made things tricky and flying conditions have rarely been ideal (does this country have a horizon?). So flying frequency has been patchy, despite frequent bookings.

However, basic confidence has been building, and today by CFI asked me if I would like to do the take-off. YES PLEASE!!!!

This is a soft field take-off, with a moderate crosswind...

I did it !!!

Was it messy? Oh hell yea! Was my speed control a little shaky? Oh my yes, but I recovered it. Did I maintain runway heading until crosswind? Kinda! ...ish ...sorta.. mostly. Did I continue the climb into crosswind, and level off for the downwind turn? Yes, and relatively smoothly. Did I make my radio calls? Yes. And well enough. (even if I do say so myself).

I would imagine to the onlooker my technique would have invoked a sharp intake of breath followed by a pursing of the lips, and squinting of the eyes. My hats off to the bravery of my CFI who gave me plenty of latitude to sort my own stuff out without jumping in, and so calmly and kindly offering verbal direction as we went along. Any normal human would have been screaming and crying throughout my attempt, and likely require therapy afterwards. I was cross with myself for it being so ropy, but I need to remind myself that practice makes perfect.

But... I did it! I loved it! I want to do it again! A medal to my CFI!

Just wanted to share.
FlightDek, archerflyer, WelshRichy and 12 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@pipvac , well done!! :thumleft:

Thanks for the great description, too.

My first few TO's were very wobbly, thought I'd never get the correct amt of rudder, but somehow it comes good. I just LOVE that moment when I apply a tiny bit of back pressure and she just flies off, smooth as anything :mrgreen:

Yes, indeed, there should be medals for amazing Instructors!
pipvac liked this
By ericgreveson
Congratulations! Sounds like you have the right level of excitement :-D it's great to do something for the first time, and I'm sure you'll find the minor wobbles will be ironed out surprisingly quickly! It never gets boring...
pipvac liked this
By akg1486
Many more ”firsts” to come: enjoy! I still do the occasional thing for the first time after close to twenty years of flying, and I still get the same buzzing feeling.
T6Harvard, pipvac liked this
By Sooty25
pipvac wrote:......Was it messy? Oh hell yea! Was my speed control a little shaky? Oh my yes, but I recovered it. Did I maintain runway heading until crosswind? Kinda! ...ish ...sorta.. mostly. ......

Sounds like one of my normal departures!
pipvac, JAFO liked this
By TopCat
pipvac wrote:I would imagine to the onlooker my technique would have invoked a sharp intake of breath followed by a pursing of the lips, and squinting of the eyes. My hats off to the bravery of my CFI who gave me plenty of latitude to sort my own stuff out without jumping in, and so calmly and kindly offering verbal direction as we went along. Any normal human would have been screaming and crying throughout my attempt, and likely require therapy afterwards.

This is an excellent example of the sort of self-deprecation that contributors to the student forum are expected to present. For someone with so little experience, this is a very good effort.

However, seasoned eyes will note that it's just a touch too gushy to be quite believable, and the discerning amongst us won't be fooled into missing the fact that you did ok.

Nice try, all the same :wink:

:thumright:
By Milty
Welcome to the club of current students. I love the enthusiasm in your post.

I too wonder how the instructors remain so calm. That balance of allowing people to make enough of a mistake without jumping in too quickly. After my last landing on Friday, my instructor commented that he was just about to pull the yoke back to save the nosewheel but I just got it in time. That's a skill all in itself and all praise to those that do it so well.

Look forward to seeing you grow in your learning journey with the rest of us current students.