Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TrickyWoo
Big Question - still 50/50.

I have a new LAPL and Night Rating with enough hours to go for my PPL GFT anytime.

The sole purpose of the PPL would be to do the IR (R). This is becuase I want to be able to know how to fly in IMC. But...I don't think I wish to fly in IMC overmuch, just to be able to know what to do and also to learn how to do it.

The LAPL is already getting me great flights with pilot friends and UK only flying is ok for now. I think the LAPL might allow EU flights at some point too but for the next few years I think I'll be fine in the pax seat on Euro jaunts.

So...with the medical costs, QXC, non-lifetime ticket, exam and training costs (mock test etc), I could just ask one of our syndicate FIs or even my 'official' FI teach me IMC on the LAPL. Not NBD holds etc just the basics. That would tick the boxes for now and I could look at the PPL next year. This - as I type it - seems the obvious choice but...have others done the PPL then IR (R) and love it? Am I missing something perhaps? I do think I'll do the IR (R) later but for now perhaps wiser to wait or - simply because it will make me a more capable flyer - should I get it squared away early doors?

Thank you,

TW
By JAFO
Tricky Woo, I think you've answered your own question. For now, why would you?

I think that there are probably a lot of people out there who have PPLs, Class 2 medicals and so on and either have them because they've always had them or have them because they believe they should but never, ever need them.
By Rob P
There is absolutely nothing that prevents you training for an IR(R) whatever your licence or medical.

Not gaining the licence, which you say you don't want, but just the knowledge, is available even to someone holding no licence whatsoever.

I have done some IMC training, and each instructor hour I refresh that knowledge under foggles or a hood in my own aeroplane.

This works for me, and I have proved I can survived in IMC if required.

Rob P
By A le Ron
Flying in IMC safely and confidently requires practice and currency. There may be some advantages in just doing a course, and not keeping it current or using it; but these advantages pale into insignificance compared to the advantages of having a usable qualification, and using it.
Iceman liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TrickyWoo wrote:Big Question - still 50/50.

Of course it's 50/50, it's a yes/no question... :D

I'd say yes, then go for a flying holiday in the US...

IMC training? Yes. Some of the skills will stay with you, some will need constant practice. So yes. And no. And maybe. 33/33/34. Does that help?
By TrickyWoo
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
IMC training? Yes. Some of the skills will stay with you, some will need constant practice. So yes. And no. And maybe. 33/33/34. Does that help?

Up to a point, Lord Copper :-)

It was 50/50 because I wasn't at all sure one way or t.o. rather than 80/20 say but after a trip around the IoW yesterday plus some time VMC above cloud (with an experienced friend and of course with clear view back down) I now know the LAPL is absolutely fine for now. Many trips planned with others so no need to rush into more training. Each flight is such a learning experience that I can get what I want from that and the more advanced stuff can wait a bit. (Yesterday I'd have turned around once we were abeam a power station at only slightly higher than the chimneys to stay under the clouds which were were burning off and my friend pointed out that we can clearly see the blue ahead so climb through then back down (after which it was clear to the coast). I think I'd still turn around solo but it was yet another great experience and lesson.

Thanks,

TW
By TLRippon
To the original question: Yes do it now.

From experience with my own students, going back to the same examiner within a few months of getting the LAPL for the PPL skills test is far easier than when you have developed bad habits over a number of years and forgotten much of what you learned.
It's not just about doing the hours though. The hours you fly after the issue of your LAPL have to be in line with the regulations covering the upgrade process. (Dual training, supervised solo and QXC)

The IRR is not a get out of trouble rating because if you use it that way, when you actually need it you will be totally out of currency and absolutely useless to yourself. If you receive training for it and do not have the suitable qualifications and you use it, well, you know where this is going.
The IRR and IMC flying is not to be taken lightly. It requires a good deal of trained skill, practice, currency and retesting to keep it safe. I'd also wager you may find it difficult to find an instructor willing to teach an IMC course to a pilot without the requisite entry qualifications.
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A slightly different viewpoint - yes, upgrade to PPL. Why? Because you can now and who knows what licence changes will come in the future.

And as per some of the earlier replies, everything you learnt is fresh at the minute and you are still in the learner mindset.
Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By TrickyWoo
TLRippon wrote:To the original question: Yes do it now.

From experience with my own students, going back to the same examiner within a few months of getting the LAPL for the PPL skills test is far easier than when you have developed bad habits over a number of years and forgotten much of what you learned.
It's not just about doing the hours though. The hours you fly after the issue of your LAPL have to be in line with the regulations covering the upgrade process. (Dual training, supervised solo and QXC)

The IRR is not a get out of trouble rating because if you use it that way, when you actually need it you will be totally out of currency and absolutely useless to yourself. If you receive training for it and do not have the suitable qualifications and you use it, well, you know where this is going.
The IRR and IMC flying is not to be taken lightly. It requires a good deal of trained skill, practice, currency and retesting to keep it safe. I'd also wager you may find it difficult to find an instructor willing to teach an IMC course to a pilot without the requisite entry qualifications.

Thank you very much for writing this. I’ll think again.
TLRippon, A le Ron liked this