Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are threads here for the LAPL/PPL course which I find rather interesting and enjoy following all of your progress, really does bring back fond memories from way back.

I have looked for threads on further training, but they seem to be a little thin on the ground.

With this in mind and as I am going to be a student pilot all over again, would anyone be interested in a thread of my experience(s), warts included, of training to be come a flight instructor over the course of the next few months?

I cannot promise to update every day as I am expecting to be very busy with a lot of homework each night at the hotel and I do need to find time to eat but I will try and keep the thread going as and when able.

By way of a starter here is a little introduction.

I’ve always been interested in becoming an instructor and this probably stems from some unofficial, but requested via our then CFI, mentoring I really enjoyed at the flying club a few years prior to the excellent CRI certificate came into being.

I have been flying since ’98 although I did have seven years away from flying between 2011-18 when my wife eventually told me to go and renew my medical and SEP(L) as she was fed up with me talking about flying but not actually doing anything about it. Seemed to be every month when the latest Flyer Magazine dropped through the door, I would say that’s it, I’m off flying again! I am not completely sure as to how I let it go seven years.

A couple of months later I had obtained an EASA Class 2 medical, received some training and managed to convince an examiner I was safe to be let loose again and that was without any backhanders. A few weeks later I had my new EASA PPL(A) & Night Rating delivered via FedEx. I also hold a lapsed IMC/IR(R) and FAA CPL/IR (SE-ME) with ~750 total hours. Since then, I have bought a share in a lovely Piper Archer II based at Prestwick.

Late on in ’18 I discussed a couple of routes to become an instructor with my wife and she was so supportive my Christmas present that year was a CPL(A) Theoretical Course. Decision made for me then. I was going to try and pass these exams and gain an FI as opposed to the CRI. In terms of pre-requisites, I already met all requirements for the FI and CRI.

Ten months later and after a lot of sweat, blood and near tears I had passed all thirteen EASA CPL(A) Theory Exams. Phew! As a treat I visited my parents in Cardiff a month or so later and was checked out on a Beagle Pup I used to fly before moving to Scotland, very happy memories.

Was booked in to undertake an FIC in 2020 and we all know what happened two years ago! Re-booked for spring 2021 but because I had not flown during lockdown and had not the necessary five hours SEP in the previous six months prior to commencing the FIC I postponed the course. Due to work commitments and the fact it is at least a six-week course I had to re-negotiate a lot of annual leave with my employer, the best I could do was Spring 2022.

I’ve been flying regularly since the last lockdown, end of April 2021 and have been checked out in the right-hand seat of the group Archer and the clubs Robin which I hope has helped me prepare a little for the flying aspect of the course.

The course kicks off with the pre-entry test on 21st March and I suppose if I don't meet the grade then it's game over before we even start! :lol:

Will be training at Tatenhill, predominately in the PA28 Archer II but will also need to breathe in (a lot) to haul myself into a C152 for spin exercises.
lobstaboy, rdfb, MattL and 7 others liked this
By WelshRichy
lobstaboy wrote:Best of luck and try to remember to enjoy it. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. And, therefore, the most rewarding!

Thank you and all of the instructors at the club say exactly the same as you have in that it may be the hardest course I'll ever do but will be the most rewarding, fulfilling and interesting course all at the same time.

I'll be going with the flow, will enjoy the course after all it is been on the cards for a fair while now.

I'm also hoping, as a by-product of the course, that my presenting skills at the day job improve a little! It's an angle I went with when asking for a load of annual leave in a short space of time! :lol:
By WelshRichy
TopCat wrote:I'll be very interested to follow your experiences. A few people have been encouraging me to do a CRI course, so potentially of personal relevance.

Thank you and hope it will be of personal relevance.

In the interim, if you are interested in the CRI course, Flyer David UK posted on his own website of his experiences of becoming a CRI in 2016. Since then he has gone on to become an FI & IRI and has been keeping his blog up to date.

https://www.flyerdaviduk.com/2016/01/20/class-rating-instructor-course-and-skill-test/

Flyer Magazine had a CRI article in 2018 but they haven't uploaded back issues from 2018 onto the website as of yet.
TopCat liked this
By Milty
Good luck. I'll watch and read with interest. I have a germ of an idea being an FI could be something to do during early retirement for me but it's very early days and I think that a sight condition that I have may limit me. Always interesting to see other folks learning though.
By T6Harvard
Yes, please @WelshRichy !

Good luck and hope to see you at Tatenhill. Central Flight Training? They have a brilliant reputation.

I should imagine it is extremely rewarding to help an ab initio student to become a safe aviator. I mean, how amazing is that?!
WelshRichy liked this
By WelshRichy
VRB_20kt wrote:Do try and ensure that you get your CRI at the same time as your FI.

Thanks for the heads up and already have this in hand as having the CRI for non-ab-initio training will also help the club whilst my FI is restricted as the instructors are all volunteers and we don't have onsite staff.
By WelshRichy
T6Harvard wrote:Good luck and hope to see you at Tatenhill. Central Flight Training? They have a brilliant reputation.

I should imagine it is extremely rewarding to help an ab initio student to become a safe aviator. I mean, how amazing is that?!

Hope to see you at Tatenhill also and yes, Central Flight Training it is, primarily for their reputation and personal recommendations from people I know who have completed their FI/CRI certificates with them. In my discussions with them to date and the last minute postponement has only reinforced those recommendations and excellent reputation.

You'll probably find me in at the cake! Medical renewed a couple of weeks ago... :lol:

I'm sure sending my first student off on their first solo or skills test will be nerve wracking for the both of us but that is why instructors are restricted, at least initially, for mentoring and to gain the experience in order to make those decisions. All the hard work will be so worth it seeing my future students succeed in whatever they do and go on and do whatever it is they desire with their flying ambitions.
T6Harvard liked this
By MattL
The team at CFT are amazing, you will have one the best foundations to build on. I’m due to be there in the Duchess later this month so hopefully will see you!
Harleyatrix liked this
By WelshRichy
MattL wrote:The team at CFT are amazing, you will have one the best foundations to build on. I’m due to be there in the Duchess later this month so hopefully will see you!

Many thanks and it does sound like I've made a really good choice in location. Will be nice to meet you @MattL.