Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By FlyingBoot
Hello

today I managed to complete the NPPL(m) equivalent of a QXC. Little Gransden to a farm strip near Rutland Water, then strip to Fenland and back home all in time for tea. Extended the final leg a little to get hours/distance up with a little trip up the Wash. I think Marham wondered what I was doing but it was all okay in the end. So 152 nm covered, two new airfields and the first time I have really had to talk over the radio. I need a rest!
RobW, ericgreveson, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By ericgreveson
Congratulations! Big trip, sounds like you went right over the same places as I did yesterday too, it's a unique part of the country with all the long straight drains and canals through the pan flat fields.
FlyingBoot liked this
By FlyingBoot
[usermention=25756]@ericgreveson[/usermention] , I did notice your post and was thinking how similar the flights were. Those drains are a great nav aid. From Downham Market I can follow the Old Bedford River/100ft Drain almost to within sight of Little Grandsen. Keep on the same track when it ends, turn left a little by Cambourne to follow the old Roman Road (and avoid Gransden Lodge Gliding airfield) and the airfield is more or less in sight to your right.

For the rest of the flight there were plenty of other landmarks (wind turbines, reservoirs/lakes) that also helped. I like to have a really good study of the map before to pick out things that should be distinctive. There is no DI and the compass likes to bounce around if it is a little bumpy so ground features become more essential.
ericgreveson liked this
By ericgreveson
Nice - you would have flown pretty much right over my house in Swavesey! Having no DI definitely sounds like it would make things a bit trickier, although as you say there are plenty of lakes, rivers, wind turbines etc around here that make it easy enough to figure out where you are.
FlyingBoot liked this
By dgahlawat
Managed to do my first Solo Navigation on 30th of April, followed by a solo on the reverse route. Weather was perfect (winds < 5kt). A huge confidence boost for me to be able to spot the airfield and join safely. Was very surprised to find a lot of spare time to enjoy despite requesting basic service from a busy Radar.
UncleT, ericgreveson, Milty liked this
By pm05gah
Afternoon all,

I write this from my post-operative bed having just had a minor or knee operation (meniscus repair) and am feeling somewhat grounded for the next month probably.

Huge Well Done to all the above on your various achievements! I’m nearing the 40hr mark on my PPL journey which has been unusual in that I started in 2016 and got half way through but then a move and other life commitments got in the way (such is their wont) and it lay dormant for the next 5 years.

I restarted in my new locale earlier this year and am loving it. I had my second “first solo” in March and hoping to do my solo NavExs once the knee is fighting/flying fit.

I now remember what it was that got me into an aircraft in the first place and it hadn’t been lost, merely ‘misplaced’ for a short while… :D

Bon voyage,

Guy
UncleT, T6Harvard, Milty and 2 others liked this