Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By domf
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So........ you may have seen a post I made a few weeks about re: getting a medical as an above knee amputee.

I'm pleased to say that with good advice, thanks to this forum, being the wrong side of 50 made this more challenging than being an amputee and I now have the medical and have proceeded with training in a diesel PA28 out of Old Sarum (walking distance from my house). I did 30+ hours a little over 20 years ago and was pleased to find that some of it had not been lost :)

I have now gone ahead and purchased a RV9A - having been a failed RV7 builder 20 years ago when the size of the task I had taken on clashed with both work and having a baby...

I'm planning on documenting my experience here for anyone who may find it useful, be curious or need a laugh from time to time :)

So G-CFMC is being deliver to Compton Abbas this Friday, weather permitting, and I have an RV experienced RV builder/CFI who has remarkably agreed to help a one legged student achieve his PPL......

Wish me luck!

Dom
Sooty25, Flyin'Dutch', mick w and 10 others liked this
By Charles Hunt
Good Luck!!

PS - I've missed some news somewhere, last I heard Old Sarum had thrown everyone out. Is it fully operational again?
By domf
It's closed except to commercial traffic - so basically the skydiving centre (closed till March) and the flying school which is part of the skydiving centre,
Iceman liked this
By domf
So update number one - best laid plans of mice and men and all that...

Compton Abbas Notam'd shut tomorrow due to runway conditions. Hats off to them though as they picked up the phone and called to make sure I knew!

So plan B is to head for Thruxton where it will stay until my first lesson in it which will now have to include a short cross country from Thruxton to Compton :)
Flyin'Dutch', Milty, WelshRichy and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Welcome to the Students' forum @domf .
Excellent to hear about the medical and the training plans!!

You have probably realised we love a good lesson report :mrgreen:

As you have 30 hrs+ experience, and you are obviously familiar with the principles of flight, I reckon your Instructor is going to have an easy ride :D

(I'm drooling over the RV9 :thumleft: )
domf liked this
By Milty
Welcome @domf very much looking forward to hearing your progress. Nice aircraft to learn in I’m sure.

If it’s not inappropriate to ask, I’m curious if you’ve had to have your aircraft modified to enable you to use the toe brakes for example.
By domf
Hi @Milty - not inappropriate to ask at all!

No modification required - in the Rv9 the bigger problem is using the rudder without using the toe brake at the same time! Current plan is to press on the right hand side down tube that forms part of the pedal when rudder only required, but if I find I’m slipping off that then I may need to add a plate to it to broaden it.

Dom
Milty liked this
By Flyingfemme
Could you convert the toebrakes to handbrake? Ye Olde Comanche only has a handbrake - but I guess nosedraggers are easier to turn without differential braking.
By domf
It can be done - but I hope not necessary ! if needed I was thinking finger brakes similar to the Jabiru.

Dom
By Rob L
It all sounds fantastic! :thumright: You don't need luck; you already have grit, as John Wayne would say :D .

Please keep us posted (or maintain your own PPL journey log for later publication)...Without intending to demean your achievements, Aerobility and Flyer would I'm sure wish to actively follow & support your progress. Lots of posts & videos here, please! Wishing you the best,
Rob L
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By Rob P
Flyingfemme wrote:- but I guess nosedraggers are easier to turn without differential braking.

The 9A is nosewheel

Rob P
By Flyingfemme
Rob P wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:- but I guess nosedraggers are easier to turn without differential braking.

The 9A is nosewheel

Rob P

Ah. :oops:
But fingerbrakes sound like a great idea. I want some!