Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By losttheplot
Hi all!

I’m looking to start training for my PPL after a couple of years just thinking about it but have a few questions.

The plane: I thought I wanted to learn in a Cessna but I’m not sure why. I’m guessing there shouldn’t be any issues if I learn in a Piper and want to fly a Cessna later.

Airfield: I’m looking at a few airfields and have narrowed it down to these three:

Duxford
Redhill
White Waltham

I’m in the middle of London so they’ll take around the same time to get to. WW will probably be a little easier.

Thought about flipping a coin, but I don’t have any 3 sided coins so here I am :D
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi and welcome.

Ref aircraft (not plane, that’s what carpenters use and someone else will be along soon to pick you up on that), there a pros and cons of both from my research. I’m in a C152 and I like it well enough but not flown a low wing so no point of reference. Some don’t like the fact that the pipers only have one door. The ground view is better with a high wing but harder to see if someone is on final when about to enter the runway. Is also a nice sunshade in the summer. If you learn in one, you will need to have a couple of lessons once qualified to get used to another aircraft as I believe they do handle a bit differently and there are differences like the throttles that take a bit of getting used to, different flap actuation etc.

Can’t help with airfield choice but the general suggestion is have a trial flight at each as the time will all count towards your PPL. Choose whichever you feel most comfortable with. Ideally find a school with multiple instructors and aircraft so you will have less failed lessons due to aircraft tech issues and holiday cover for instructors.

Don’t pay for a full course or lessons up-front - flight schools can notoriously go bust and you lose everything. More likely is you can fall out with your instructor or have issues with tech but because you’re tied to them, it’s costly and difficult to leave and try another school. I know of someone at a school that keeps having tech issues with the aircraft and multiple cancelled lessons but has paid for a full course up front so is sort of trapped.

If you can find a career instructor (one who does instructing for their primary job and not just hour building before heading off to an airline), it can help as otherwise, you can end up going through a few instructors. That said, it can be helpful to have a mix of instructors if you don’t particularly click with one.

Good luck!
By lobstaboy
Begin by visiting each one and seeing what you think of the set ups. There may be more than one school at each aerodrome, so you're not just choosing between locations. The ease of travel will turn out to be very important to your motivation too.
Don't be blindly attracted to the glossiest aircraft and instructors with uniforms. Equally don't penny pinch and think saving a few pounds per hour is a good thing.
You need to be sure you'll enjoy spending time with these people, working hard and sometimes getting frustrated. Do you like them?
This means you need to take trial lessons at several schools. Make sure you get a log book to enter the flights in. Any decent school will be happy that you are doing this.
It doesn't matter what type you learn in (within reason!) and it doesn't need to be part of your decision making schema.
Remember this is meant to be enjoyed.
Oh yeah, nearly forgot - don't pay up front for blocks of hours unless you can afford to lose the money. Pay each day you fly.
Good luck and have fun!
By Rob P
Good advice above, there's not a lot to add except

Buy your logbook now so you can record any trial lessons in it and not lose those hours

If you want to pay for anything in advance at least use a credit card so you are covered

Shortest time to the training airfield is a major factor but doesn't overrule being comfortable with the regime and your instructor

There's no rush. Don't get hung up on how many hours it takes, do get hung up on enjoying every single minute. Training is great flying, not something to be got through quickly so the fun can begin.

Get your medical early, just in case.

Welcome

Rob P
By ROG
Just a couple of thoughts

1.---grass fields can be restricted in use in winter

2---from my experience you tend to fly the type of aircraft you learn in--but flying another basic type is not too difficult.

3,R/T is normally more "official" at airfields like Duxford, southend ,norwich..--so no problem when you go to to strips. Some people who learn at "grass airfields" find the more stricter ones a bit daunting.

4 As said above -probably best to visit each one to get a feel for it.
By QSD
I work for a school at Redhill (Cubair). Very happy to show you the aeroplanes and have a chat about the training if you feel that Redhill will be suitable. You could also book a trial lesson if you wanted.

Redhill has some very good points in its favour:-
Full ATC.
A hard runway for use in winter (albeit with some restrictions to the number of movements - but better than no flying at all)
Wide and long grass runways with N/S and E/W orientations.
Nice people and a good cafe.

Cubair use DA20A100s as their primary trainers, so you get the benefit of a CS prop. They do have a PA28 and a Cub as well. All the aircraft are kept in a hangar as well, which is very useful in the winter.
By Mz Hedy
losttheplot wrote:Airfield: I’m looking at a few airfields and have narrowed it down to these three:

Duxford
Redhill
White Waltham

I’m in the middle of London so they’ll take around the same time to get to. WW will probably be a little easier.

From the middle of London you might also want to consider North Weald. It's a while since I've had any contact but they seemed a good bunch a few years ago.
By Flyingfemme
All good advice here. Don’t get hung up on which aircraft to start in. Unless there’s a particular reason, consider price and comfort.
If you are very tall (or short) consider that or if youare generously blessed with avoirdupois - in which case a C172 or PA28 might be recommended. Not all older aircraft have very adjustable seats; I kept a cushion in my flightbag for the aircraft with lower seat squabs :D It had a teddy on it.
My DH learned in the same mix of C150/C152 as me……….but he’s 6’4” with shoulders like a brick outhouse. His instructor spent a lot of time with his arm across the back of the P1 seat just to fit in!
Mostly just enjoy. Hang out with like minded people who won’t roll their eyes when you dissect your lesson for the nth time. Like us, here.
T6Harvard liked this
By akg1486
Nothing to add really: choose your school based on convenience and the overall feel for the ambiance, choice of aircraft type is far less important unless your height/weight or possible mobility issues are a factor. I trained in PA28 and did a one-hour difference training in C172 right after.

Nobody has mentioned the pinned thread "How To Learn To Fly (sort of)". It's a personal yet generic story that I recommend you read.

Welcome to the blue (at least sometimes!) skies!!
T6Harvard liked this