Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Irv Lee wrote:@Milty My unusual name was genuinely a real pain til Google came along, then became a blessing, but will pm anyway

Fair point. Was in the middle of something this morning and took the lazy option. Hope to be able to join your course next week.
By Irv Lee
xtophe wrote:
Milty wrote:And is there a date when the old tests formally end?

We don't have dates for when the new test starts. So even less dates for when the old one stops.

I thought I was told no new examiners are being approved at the moment, and some have been refused renewal of their expiry in 2H2021 until the new stuff comes in during 1H2022? (meanwhile those expiring in the first few months of 2022 have been extended to end of May. Skywise News:
All RT Examiners whose certificate is valid on 31 December 2021 (or are in receipt of an extension email) may consider these examiner privileges extended until 31 May 2022.
This extension will facilitate the introduction of a new training and testing process for the Flight Radio Telephony Operator Licence (FRTOL).

So it surprises me to hear there isn't a date as the ones denied a renewal are left without that income for an indeterminate time.
By Irv Lee
I hope they are including video recording of candidate in action or they are not going to solve the (small) cowboy element in the examiner world (who will charge more as I imagine there will be fewer examiners but with higher costs!)
Irv Lee wrote:I hope they are including video recording of candidate in action or they are not going to solve the (small) cowboy element in the examiner world (who will charge more as I imagine there will be fewer examiners but with higher costs!)

Not video Irv, but they have mandated audio recording.
By Irv Lee
They'll have to listen for:
"....too tausend feet, wun zero wun zero .....
Errr ... What's that next bit say there...? How do you pronounce that next bit? Viffer? there are no vowels in it"
Andrew Sinclair liked this