Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By meznas
I've been going through the air law material on Easy PPL and have consistently passed their mock exams. But I heard that recently CAA changed the way they do exams and the questions are more random than they used to be. Are the Easy PPL mock exams a good indication of what the real exam is going to be? I'm worried that I might have gaps in my knowledge that aren't apparent from the mocks. Advice appreciated!
I've been using them for exam prep and have now passed 6 of the theory exams! I wasn't sure what to expect from reality compared to the mocks, but actually the content was close enough. In fact I think some of the real exams were a bit easier than the EasyPPL mocks.

My approach was: read the book all the way through, then do the EasyPPL online course and make sure I understand everything, then do a bunch of their mocks until I can get 90-100% consistently. You might get one or two left field questions in the real exam, of course, but that's fine - you can still pass with a couple of wrong answers, and hopefully even if they are left field you should be able to figure out the right answer!

In summary, I think you will be fine, good luck!
tr7v8, T6Harvard, Milty and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I take it you mean EasyPPL Groundschool. Learn first, then use mock exams to find gaps in knowledge. I've done 4 exams so far, all passed first time with good results. I'm a big fan!

Have you seen the latest offering on EasyPPL Groundschool - lesson videos with Nigel Willson as instructor and The Flying Reporter as the student. Looks really good but not cheap. I am going to pick one to try :mrgreen:
Milty, meznas, ericgreveson and 1 others liked this
By Milty
Personally found them pretty similar. They’re never going to be exactly the same but very similar. They’re good to get you used to the format of the latest questions, e.g. some are quite wordy, some much shorter, some with very subtle differences in he answers. I’ve used Easy PPL only for my study. Depending on the topic, I either go through the slides once or more, take the tests then do the exams at least 10 times and try to absorb the ones that I’ve gone wrong on. Air law was OK. I didn’t do as much study as I should have for Ops Proc and hence failed first time. Second time was much better having studied properly and human performance was easy. Now studying for comms and finding it OK but again some small subtleties. Good luck - and remember that everyone is different so just give an exam a try and see for yourself. If you fail or pass, you’ll learn from the experience.
ericgreveson, meznas liked this
By meznas
T6Harvard wrote:I take it you mean EasyPPL Groundschool. Learn first, then use mock exams to find gaps in knowledge. I've done 4 exams so far, all passed first time with good results. I'm a big fan!

Have you seen the latest offering on EasyPPL Groundschool - lesson videos with Nigel Willson as instructor and The Flying Reporter as the student. Looks really good but not cheap. I am going to pick one to try :mrgreen:

Yeah I saw that. I've occasionally watched Flying Reporter videos on YouTube, he's fun to watch, but not sure I'll be getting this course tbh at~£13 per video.
By T6Harvard
On a random sample of one I won't be buying the vids either. I chose 'The circuit lessons 12 & 13' (covers TO, circuit and Landing).

It was approx 22 mins in total. 15 (yes) minutes of checklists (presume already covered in earlier lessons so could have been emphasised as important but speeded over), one circuit flown by Nigel with speeds mentioned but no actual advice or tips on flying*, and one landing. Very, very disappointing. I've seen Nigel teaching before and he's really good. Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations.
Flying Reporter took no part other than as someone present to receive the spoken words (and hold a mic). I had imagined Nigel would instruct and FR would fly :wink:

* oh yes, there was one tip about turning when 45° angle to runway between tail and nose.

#### Actually, as the above feels mean I have tried the Circuit Emergencies lesson, too...###

This covers 4 things, although I thought I'd missed a bit at the beginning due to the editing.
- Go-around - Good reasons given and emphasis of how important it is to consider a Go Around but.... nothing about having to hold the nose quite firmly to stop it rising when full power added, nothing about flying to the right of the rwy as you do it, or letting others know what you are doing when safe to make the radio call.
- Rejected TO info was OK but left them sat on the rwy, so I felt it needed a little more info about what to do next.
- Recovering from a bounced landing - good explanation of why it happened, encouraged go-around but demo'd adding power and recovering to land with suitable warning that this uses a lot of rwy.
- EFATO - get best glide, pick field, but emphasis was on shutting down engine to prevent surge. I thought that unless you were extremely low, the first action after setting glide attitude was carb heat, then split second checks of fuel, mixture, mags, master because for the time taken you may find the solution*, then a/c specific whether flaps need power, when to shut down. No mention of cinching harnesses, opening door latch.

Not bad but on balance having viewed two, not enough to sell me any other lessons.
meznas liked this
I've been using the PPL Tutor app for doing mock exam questions and have found it to be out of date when it comes to some current legislation. As such, I've been "failing" most times I try taking the Air Law exam. For someone who struggles with exams at the best of times, it doesn't bode well with the confidence factor. Can anyone recommend a different app for me to try please? If only for a comparison to see where the gaps are that I need to get plugged up.

David.