Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Similar to another thread. I've been learing (21hrs) so far in a C152. It's been OK and saved circa £20/hour to get solo. Now I'm starting on Nav, I'm finding it all a bit cramped up front. I'm a bit of a chunky monkey (6ft, 15 1/2st).

I'm thinking about moving over to a 172 for the rest of my training. I'm hoping to be able to make use of more than 2 seats when I qualify so was originally expecting to finish in the C152 then do a bit of conversion to C172 anyway. The school has 3 of each so I don't believe that aircraft availability is likely to be an issue.

Apart from a few hundred quid extra costs to finish training in C172, are there any other reasons that I should or should not swap over now? My instructor has said that if I do, it will need a bit of time in circuits to get familiar but that would happen now or at the end anyway. I'm also itching to get flying again and cloud base looks low tomorrow morning so might be a good use of air time to get up and fly a few circuits.

Anyone out there done similar? I will miss the C152 - nostalgic memories of first trial flight, first solo etc.
By Paul_Sengupta
I don't see why you shouldn't. Depending on the model, the 172 can be a fair bit more difficult to land nicely than a 152. The elevators can be heavy, so use the trim more.
By Milty
Thanks Paul - the instructor did suggest that I'll need 3 Weetabix as it's more of an armful to flare.
By VRB_20kt
At the student stage you are taught various settings for the aircraft you're training in. The step from c152 to c172 is not gargantuan, but you will need to learn different engine speeds and airspeeds. There are also two fuel tanks on a 172 so you'll learn to manage that. Finally you'll have to learn the POH for the 172 though much of it is similar to the 152. Expect a small number of hours to elapse before you're once again at ease.

IMHO the 172 is a nicer aircraft to fly. Your instructor may put a couple of bags of ballast in the back.

Half way through is a sensible time to change. By the time you get to your skills test you should be fully familiar with the aeroplane.
Milty, A le Ron liked this
By cotterpot
We have a C172P and yes it is a bit more of a 'pull' - unless you have a couple of passengers in the back. And as Paul said - not as easy to land nicely but that just takes practice.

I've been practising for 8 years now and sometimes get it right. :D

There are two fuel tanks, exactly the same as on a C152, but sometimes bigger, but can feed from 'both' so not an issue.

Otherwise shouldn't be a drama.
Milty liked this
By F70100
VRB_20kt wrote:
Your instructor may put a couple of bags of ballast in the back.

What would be even better would be him/her finding one (maybe even two) willing victims to sit in the back for some circuits. You can use them as live bait for a W & B calculation and subsequent performance calculations. If they're students too, just watching and listening when someone else is in the hot seat can be a useful learning experience for them.

At some stage you will no doubt hope to fly with passengers so seeing how it works (pax briefing etc) in a teaching / learning environment is a Good Thing.

This sort of thing has to be handled sensitively; if it's not, it can be a negative experience for everyone, but, nothing ventured etc.
Milty liked this
By Milty
Thanks, some good ideas there. After last weeks lesson, I’m sticking with the 152 for now. If there’s a lesson that the weather is only good enough for circuits in the next few weeks, I might give a 172 a go and see how I get on. It will be good to do a passenger brief.
tr7v8 liked this