Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Cobra7201
Hello everyone,

I have not seen many people talk about what the actual flight school is like so I would like some answers to my questions.

1. Is flight school like normal school where you come in Monday to Friday?
2. Do you get breaks like with school or do you keep attending for the whole time period (no breaks off) ?
3. How intense is pilot training and how much free time did you get throughout?
4. What was the average day like?

Thank you guys hopefully you could answer my questions. :)
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are different types of flight school. Others can talk about the intensive side of things. For many schools, you simply book a lesson as and when you like and then turn up. For those, it's up to you how intensive you make it. Some schools limit the amount of flying you can do (eg no more than three hours in any one day)

For ground school, many students work entirely from self-study but others will run a few hours training once or twice a week. Again it's up to you whether you sign up. The classes I'm involved with are 3-4 hours long once a week and typically have 2-4 students.
By Rob P
As you are UK, we more usually call them 'flying schools' or 'flying clubs'

'Flight school' is very American

Welcome. :D

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By jcal
Welcome @Cobra7201!

I've only ever experienced one school so take my anecdotes with a grain of salt! The flying part I would say is more akin to learning to drive, or maybe learning an instrument. You book a time and you take the lesson with your instructor. There's not a specific schedule, it's up to you to plan your time and see when your school can book you in, one lesson at a time.

Some people I hear try to do their PPL in a "full time" kind of capacity, with lessons 9-5 but that will then be up to the school if they offer that. I only ever do about a lesson a week and I believe that's one of the more common approaches.

From what I can tell, and quite sensibly so, most flying schools will be catered for people who already have full time jobs so in fact are busiest during the weekends rather than Monday to Friday, but again, depends on the school.
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:As you are UK, we more usually call them 'flying schools' or 'flying clubs'

Sorry @Rob P , but I think you know that a "flying club" is not a "flying school" and certainly not a "Flight school"...

A true flying club is by members for members, without profit - it is a Club. I know this is not usually the case in the UK however, where flight training is usually by a commercial enterprise regardless of what the company is called.

Regards, SD..
By Rob P
I was fortunate in that I trained at a commercial school that also operated as a very good club.

Rob P
By MattL
Vary from big shiny glass buildings with simulators, sales staff, everyone in uniforms and branding etc down to one dude in a portacabin on a grass strip that may or may not be there depending on weather/inclination/dog walk

Don’t make a judgement about the quality of training relating to either end of above spectrum

In all you will find people moaning about the CAA and how aircraft/licensing/training/weather/students/instructors/maps/headsets etc all used to be better or which one is best. If you have 2 or more pilots together you will hear 4 or more opinions expressed. This is all part of flyings rich tapestry - enjoy!
derekf, Danny, meznas liked this
By Cessna571
The “How to learn to fly” thread pinned at the top of the students forum is a good start to “how it all works”.

It’s not like school, it’s like driving lessons.
You have lessons when you want / can afford and you take a test when you can fly , to prove it.

Just like driving lessons, there is also theory to learn, and you can do that on your own or do a course.

You learn to drive at a driving school, but really it’s a person and a car, a bit like a person and a plane, who teaches you to fly.
By GrahamB
I think one needs to ascertain what the OP’s ambitions are.

If one is looking at doing an integrated full-time course leading to frozen ATPL at somewhere like Oxford, then it is full-time attendance wearing uniforms etc. much more like a residential college.
Cessna571 liked this
By pipvac
I am a brand new student pilot just starting my PPL journey in the South UK. The environment you learn in is highly variable based on location and your objectives. From the one-man shed operation on the apron somewhere, to commercial operations in glossy buildings and teams of instructors.

In mid-life my goal is purely fulfilling a life long dream, and for the fun of it. In my very limited experience, I have the option of pay as you go, or signing up for courses, flying as and when is convenient to me to book, and weather allows. Very much like driving lessons, rather than 'school'.

Personalities and procedures will all be different. My school the instructors are friendly and very approachable. They want you to enjoy the experience, and are keen for you to become an aviator in whatever discipline you have elected to do. Lessons are structured with a goal for each session, and tend to follow the training manuals in terms of order and approach (eg Pooley's). Pace of learning is based on your abilities, and what you are comfortable with. Never be afraid to ask to repeat something. You are paying a great deal of money to be taught and ultimately being provided a service, and the pace is very much up to you.

I've even met the airfield's ATC, and got invited to see what happens the otherside of the mic. Bribed with tea he assures me he will look after me when i'm in the air. I'm having an absolutely great time, and am loving every single second of it. No sooner do the wheels touch the ground, am I already looking forward to the next lesson.

Before I started I watched ALOT of Youtube videos, and read many books, to prepare myself. One you may find useful is "The PPL Companion: 45 Lessons to Guide you Through Flight Training" by Daniel Coleman. It's not so much a manual as a sharing of another student pilot's experience of the whole process.
Rob P, meznas liked this