Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
You have yet to meet SkyDemon's infamous 'current position' window, the algorithm for which, once across The Channel, is programmed to select the least pronounceable town within twenty kilometres.

Rob P
AndyR, ericgreveson, mick w and 1 others liked this
[usermention=25776]@FlyingBoot[/usermention] I have been lucky with cancellations etc recently. Also Cambridge are quite good with sending out a weekly email about which slots are free for the next few days, and since there are lots of aeroplanes and instructors at the club, there are often some options... Especially if flexible with location (Cambridge or Duxford)!

[usermention=66]@Rob P[/usermention] I look forward to discovering this feature! Presumably it can be tested out closer to home, for example by flying to Wales...
Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:
> You have yet to meet SkyDemon's infamous 'current position' window, the
> algorithm for which, once across The Channel, is programmed to select the
> least pronounceable town within twenty kilometres.
>
> Rob P
---

I was once offered a job based in North Wales that involved a lot of travelling and, as a consequence, mileage claim forms. My friend pointed out that it would not be a good idea to go to places that i) I couldn't pronounce and ii) I couldn't spell. I love North Wales but luckily for the locals I turned down the job.
ericgreveson, tr7v8 liked this
Long lesson today, to be split into two parts...

Part One: Low-level circuits. Today was an ATC day at Cambridge, meaning we could cover this bit of nav (missed out so far because I've mostly been at Cambridge on the weekends when no ATC = no low level circuits). These turned out to be fairly similar to the precautionary landings lesson. My instructor demonstrated the first circuit - take off with 10° flap, start turning as soon as clear of the airfield (around 300'), keep turning onto downwind and increase to 20° flap when at 500' to "bounce" up to 600', then fly downwind at approx 70kt, when abeam the numbers at the other end of the runway go to 30° flap, get in trim, start a continuous descending turn to final (carb heat on, throttle back a bit but not too much since we are low and with 30° flap) - then he handed over to me on short final to do the touch and go, which went fine (having been set up nicely on the approach). Back to 10° flap and my turn to do a circuit. The first time I got the turns and altitudes right, although was a bit fast at the start of downwind as I had throttled back the usual amount to 2300rpm rather than something around 2100, but got it sorted out OK. Forgot carb heat after switching to 30° flap but the descending turn, approach and landing was fine, smooth and on the stall warner. Agreed to do one more circuit for a bit more practise, and this one went fine (remembered all the appropriate bits at the appropriate times, landed it OK on the stall warner again although not quite as smooth as the previous landing). Taxied back to the fuel pumps and topped up the avgas, ready for part two...
Milty, tr7v8 liked this
Part Two: First solo nav! :-D I was informed when I arrived at the airport that I would be able to go off on my own after the low level circuits. The route was Cambridge - Spalding - Downham Market - Cambridge, so I planned the route and filled in a plog - doing it all properly with the whizz wheel. There would a couple of MATZ penetrations (Marham and Lakenheath) plus overflight of Fenland's ATZ, total flight time estimated around 55 minutes. I wrote the appropriate radio frequencies on the map near the points where I'd need to change to them, completed the fuel planning and checked NOTAMs, and then we were good to go with the low-level circuits.

After the low-level circuits and refueling the aeroplane, my instructor left me to do the solo nav. I had decided that some human refueling was also in order so finished off the packet of crisps that I'd brought with me. This turned out to be a crucial error, as the 2 minute delay thus introduced meant that I was taxiing behind a DA42 and a C130 Hercules. The DA42 departed while I was doing my engine checks, and then as I called for further taxi (at this point remembering my "Student" prefix for the radio callsign) the Hercules started backtracking. They got their IFR route clearance and wanted to do a circuit and low-level approach before departing properly, so this ended up being a 10 minute wait at the hold for me! At least it gave me plenty of time to make sure everything was arranged nicely in the cockpit. I also put the carb heat on for a short while, just to be sure there was no carb ice. When the Hercules departed the ATZ, I was cleared for takeoff.

The first part was easy enough - left turn out (cleared to not above 2000' due to traffic in the area) and handed over to Cambridge Approach, I followed the A14 around the north of Cambridge to get to the M11 junction. This was my departure point for the turn towards Spalding. As the altitude restriction was removed, I went up to the planned cruising altitude of 2300' and did some FREDA checks after making sure I was on the right heading and noting the time. At Benwick I switched to Wittering for a basic service, I had to ask to confirm the squawk (didn't hear the last digit properly the first time) but other than that, this went OK. Was asked to report turning at Spalding which was straightforward enough! There was a bit of updraft and downdraft beneath the cloud layer but not too much. One thing that threw me off was that the Chatham QNH given was a good 7 or 8 hPa lower than the Cambridge QNH, which meant winding off a couple of hundred feet!

After turning at Spalding, I requested a change to Fenland as I would be transiting just above their ATZ. Asked for the QNH from Fenland Radio which was more like the Cambridge QNH that I'd departed from, which seemed like a better option than the regional pressure setting. They had an aeroplane taking off as I went overhead but it was good to know that everyone was visual with everyone else! Once past Fenland I switched to Marham in preparation for the MATZ penetration. This was approved - I think when asked to "pass my message" I gave my current position as a couple of miles further back than I actually was at the time, but other than this it was OK, something to do better next time though.

Turned at Downham Market within the Marham MATZ and was greeted with the long straight line of the Great Ouse and the railway all the way back to Cambridge! Maybe this was the chosen route for Solo Nav 1 for a reason... it would have been very difficult to get lost! As I left the Marham MATZ they asked me to freecall Lakenheath, which was already queued up on the radio - as always Lakenheath Approach were a model of efficiency, I was given a squawk, and then MATZ penetration approved without even having to ask. I think because I was "Student G-CLNB" they spoke a bit more slowly for my benefit - it was certainly very clear and easy. Had a great view of Ely Cathedral on the way home, then switched to Cambridge Approach as soon as Lakenheath ended their radar control and asked me to freecall.

I requested a Basic Service from Cambridge Approach and then was asked whether I was inbound or staying out for some handling exercises. I said I was inbound and asked for a crosswind join, at which point they reminded me that this was something I should be asking Cambridge Tower and asked me to call them instead! I should have really just asked for rejoin (or recovery) on my initial call to Approach rather than asking for a basic service - never mind, another thing to remember for next time. Anyway, switching to Tower I asked the right question, although got a bit confused between west and east when describing my position - quickly corrected it, but without saying "correction", so another reminder to think before pressing PTT! They had some outbound traffic so asked me to hold position at Waterbeach - this was fine, as there was no-one else around I decided to use this time to practice some steep turns, which went fairly well! After a couple of minutes I was visual with the traffic departing and in the circuit, and a crosswind join was approved. This went smoothly and soon I was downwind behind another school C152 who was doing solo circuits. As I turned downwind they were turning base, so I was reasonably close, but the spacing looked like it should be sufficient for them to do a touch and go and me to land after. I did the usual pre landing checks, turned base and then final. The C152 ahead was just touching down, ATC told me to continue approach and expect a late clearance, which was fine. There was a fair amount more crosswind than when I had departed, but it was all quite manageable - I got the clearance to land on very short final, and made a decent enough landing on the stall warner. Taxied back and parked up at the end of a long but very satisfying flight!

Looking forward to more solo nav at the weekend... all these long lessons are quite expensive but the progress definitely feels worth it.
Milty, Rob P, Cessna571 and 3 others liked this
By Milty
Fond memories of my first solo nav. Great job on the solo MATZ penetration. My lesson tomorrow is planned as a dual with 4 MATZ penetrations. If I don’t know how to do it after that, there’s no hope.
ericgreveson, T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
FlyingBoot wrote:
> Well done. It's nice to be out by yourself doing solo Nav isn't it. You
> must be close to doing your QXC or whatever it is called nowadays.

Interestingly enough, or perhaps not, I found that once I got to the stage of solo nav, I improved faster without my instructor than with.

It's good to be able to function under pressure, and having a critical presence sitting next to you certainly provides that, or it did in my case. But on the occasions I could get shot of him, I had more head space available to start noticing things and learning from them on my own account.

It's not surprising really - as has been observed before, the instructor is mostly there to stop you destroying the aeroplane and dying while you teach yourself to fly. Once you don't need someone to do that for you, you can continue teaching yourself without the distraction.

The aeroplane performs so much better too.
[usermention=862]@TopCat[/usermention] I have to agree. I find I seem to have much more time to think when I am solo and the pressure seems just a little different. I think my flying has improved quite a bit since first solo, and not just because I have more hours. Maybe it is because I am more aware of how everything is handling and feeling without the comfort blanket of an instructor beside me.
FlyingBoot wrote:
> Well done. It's nice to be out by yourself doing solo Nav isn't it. You
> must be close to doing your QXC or whatever it is called nowadays.

It's great! Although I didn't feel like this was much of a "special occasion" - just another flight if you know what I mean - maybe the first landaway or QXC will feel more of an achievement.

TopCat wrote:
> I had more head space available to start noticing things and learning from them on my own account.

More seat space for the map too! :-D But yes I agree. This is the first time where I've been all on my own for squawks and radio calls etc. It's a bit different in the solo circuits because you don't have to change frequencies or squawks and the calls are all pretty similar, but on the solo nav, you have to decide when to switch frequencies and what to ask for - small things, and mostly planned in advance, but good to have to rely on my own decisions without an on-board mistake rectifier!
By TopCat
FlyingBoot wrote:
> Maybe it is because I am more
> aware of how everything is handling and feeling without the comfort blanket
> of an instructor beside me.

It's that, but also I think that on your own, you're able to become less obsessed with the trivial departures from the recipes you've been given for how everything should be done. You've learned to think of these departures as mistakes, and of course some of them are, but it's more nuanced than that.

You get used to the instructor scrutinising your every move and inevitably, because the instructor is only one level down from God, you interpret every comment as an indication of your failure.

Without that scrutiny, that pressure, you have the opportunity to focus on what is really important. When you make that radio call, when you apply the first stage of flap on base, even what height and speed you turn final, are all, in the grand scheme of things, largely irrelevant once you can actually fly the aeroplane.

But don't tell your instructor I said that. At least, not until you really can fly the aeroplane. Pro tip: that isn't yet.

By the way, a lot of pilots squander the opportunity to focus on what is really important once they have a licence. Don't be one of those - don't get lazy.
By bladerunner911
Thanks for your input here TopCat, some of the things you say really resonate with my own current experiences.
Being a perfectionist and slightly anxious sometimes, when confronted with a decsision, my brain sometimes freezes as I think "what is my instructor expecting here", rather than "what is the correct or safe action a PIC" should make here.
When doing solo circuits, that situation does not occur.
I know it's all in my head as my instructor is exremely encouraging and certainly does not put any pressure on me.
I am very interested to see how my mind will work once I start doing solo nav.
We can be our own worst critic sometimes! :lol: